Steyr LP10 coming apart?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
motorcycle_dan

Steyr LP10 coming apart?

Post by motorcycle_dan »

20180102_180633.jpg
Was shooting my LP10 in league last night. Noticed a little spring coming from the top of the bolt. Not normal. Before I do something terrible and break out my gun plumber tools, I thought I'd ask here. What the heck it this, what caused it and how do I make it right?
David Levene

Re: Steyr LP10 coming apart?

Post by David Levene »

I don't know the LP10 that well but it looks like a bit of the stabilizer catch is missing, allowing the spring to stick out.

Have you tried looking at the drawing and parts list on the Steyr web site?

I'm guessing that parts 61 & 65 (and possibly 66) are missing and that you are looking at part 68.
motorcycle_dan

Post by motorcycle_dan »

David, Are you the guy who came to camp Perry with Scott?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

motorcycle_dan wrote:David, Are you the guy who came to camp Perry with Scott?
No, wrong side of the Atlantic. Maybe one year.
motorcycle_dan

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Thanks for the Illustration exactly what I needed. I think the catch lever (61) is still there. The pin (65) is still there, It appears as if the spring (68) just worked it's way under the edge of the catch lever and started backing itself out.

I'm guessing cure is (hold so no escaped parts), knock the pin out, remove catch lever, flip spring over or bend bitter end so it is not encouraged to work it's way out. Check catch lever for broken or bent, reassemble.

I don't understand what it is doing. The spring pushes against catch so that....?

Is this a common failure?
Should I just replace the bolt assembly?
Send it to my favorite pellet shoot'n fixers in TN and let their gun plumber at it?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

you should replace the spring after carefully removing the pin and the small lever. it is propably broken to 2 pieces. without the correct length and strength of that little spring the black lever that catches the moving mass (absorber) will not work properly. this could either lead to unpredictable feeling from shot to shot or a jam of the bolt in its rearmost position. this happened to a fellow shooters LP10 that the spring was damaged and only half of it remained. you could send it to our host Pilk or you could get from them the spring if you are the DIY guy.
dot1dog

Post by dot1dog »

hi
look on youtube steyr lp10 adjusting and checking the stabilizer,it is a DIY job.

cheers Chris
ruig

Post by ruig »

kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I see a broken piece (it's encircled in red and looks like part nº 61, catch lever) in your pic.
Attachments
20180102_180633.jpg
Frenzy81

Post by Frenzy81 »

This happened to me about a year ago. 6 year old LP10, probably 15000 shots fired.

Spring broke near the end, the exposed pointy part made its way up and became visible. Got a new spring, watched the video, fixed in no time!
motorcycle_dan

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Someone spent a lot of time making quality video on Youtube for the LP10. Thanks.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If I was in the market for a new air pistol, I'd seriously consider buying a Steyr just because of the excellent support they provide with these videos.
motorcycle_dan

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Well in my wonderful town of East Podunk Hollar, There is not a small enough pin punch to be had. 1/16th is as small as you can get locally. I've ordered some watch band repair pin punches which come much smaller. 0.8, 0.9, and 1.0 mm
ruig

Post by ruig »

I usually take mini nail for such purposes. But file (cut) the peak before use :-)
Frenzy81

Post by Frenzy81 »

I think I just hammered the smallest unbrako/hex tool (incl. with the LP10) into the pin to release it.