Free pooters

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Free pooters

Post by Rover »

Is anyone trying/using the CCI (or other) low velocity .22s in their Free pistol? I'm not talking about Standard Velocity ammo.

How's that working out for you?
Last edited by Rover on Tue May 16, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwhite

Re: Free pooters

Post by Gwhite »

CCI has too much lubricant on many rounds, and gunks up the pistol quickly. For years I've been shooting Federal 711B because it won't cycle my semi-auto pistols. Aguila sub-sonic also shoots nicely. The ignition is ultra reliable, and the lubricant doesn't cause problems.
j-team

Post by j-team »

I've tried CCI "Quiet" in my free pistol (and some bolt rifles). Not super accurate at 50m, but fun to shoot due to low noise and recoil.
hurt

Post by hurt »

I have shot a couple cases of CCI Quiet out of my free pistols and Anschutz rifles at 50 meters and found it to be fairly accurate in the scoped rifles. It is accurate with my red dot Pardini auto at 50 yards…and my free pistols are on call at 50 meters. It shoots well for me!
The auto won't feed it…and it hits lower with everything.
CCI is often over lubed with wax. With the design of CCI boxes, the lead bullets are completely free of any packaging material, except the top plate that holds the rims, so I fire up my gas stove and gently hold the 50 rounds over the flame, rotating often, until the wax becomes liquid. Then i rub on a paper towel to soak up the extra lube. A little care must be taken but the lube melts before it gets too hot to hold and way before any fireworks!! I have not had any cook off.
Alternately, i have also set the 22 boxes in a hot sunny spot and achieved the same result. It gets cold in the winter here, so i like the stove.
top end

Post by top end »

A shooter at our recent National Championships was using CCI Quiet in his Walther SSP for the Rapid Fire match. Worked and cycled with no problem, until he was selected for chronograph and was surprised when he was DQ’d. Ha!
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

The Aguilla sub sonic works fine and shots are on call. Eley used to make a specific ammo for the FP which was in a blue box.
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

top end wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:50 am A shooter at our recent National Championships was using CCI Quiet in his Walther SSP for the Rapid Fire match. Worked and cycled with no problem, until he was selected for chronograph and was surprised when he was DQ’d. Ha!
I am surprised it cycled. Was it accurate at 25M? I have seen quite a few mixed reviews for CCI Quiet. I would be interested in getting some to keep the noise down for backyard trigger time with the standard and free pistols.
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"