Benelli extractor popping off

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike38

Benelli extractor popping off

Post by Mike38 »

Pistol: Benelli MP95E .32 wadcutter. Are there any tips or tricks to stop the extractor from popping off? It's happened to mine three times now, and this time I lost all three parts, extractor, plunger and spring. Thank you.
-TT-

Re: Benelli extractor popping off

Post by -TT- »

I don't have the .32, but my experience with the .22 is that the extractor can be dislodged by a stovepiped brass in the right spot. When the bolt closes on it, if the nose of the extractor hits the brass it will be jammed backwards. The angle of the nose vectors it outward, these forces combine to rotate it just so and to release it, just like you might do when disassembling it yourself.

Here's a photo of the evidence, from my final shot at Perry this year in fact. 360 shots without an alibi, and this happened after the 360th was launched! You can see the shape of the extractor peened into the end.
15 The Very Last Brass.jpg
As for what to do about it, three ideas:

If you have a sticky chamber and are getting stovepipes, work on that.

The shape of the extractor where the retaining rod "steps" over it is important. And the rod should have a flat spot to overlap it. You can make the rod out of a #40 drill bit, just under .100" or 2.5mm.

The spring tension is also important, too stiff and the bolt won't close properly, too soft and the extractor will let go. I have found that an AR15 detent spring, cut to length, works really well. It's just the right diameter and wire thickness. You can tune the strength by cutting a coil at a time.

More Benelli extractor info in this thread: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56889
othello22

Post by othello22 »

Had the same problem on my 90s. On a trip to Maine in 2016 I stoped by Larry's shop in Gray ME. I showed him the bolt he took apart the extractor. measured the depth of the spring hole, told me the factory drilled it to deep, dropped a ball bering in the hole to make up the deference. He said it's not a factory authorized fix but it would work. Have not had a problem since. No charge then he showed me his collection of rare 210s.

Rob
Seattle, WA
Mike38

Post by Mike38 »

So far so good on my extractor fix. What I did was buy a "universal" bag of small gun springs from gunsprings.com there was something like 100 small compression springs of various sizes. With a new extractor and plunger. I tried various springs until I found one that was the correct diameter, but with a slightly larger wire size and slightly longer length. Basically, did the same as the ball bearing trick described above. I shot 50 rounds with this new set up, so far so good. Time will tell I guess. One thing I did notice, and like a lot, the ejection is now more consistent and milder. Empty cases now come out at 3:00, and with less force. Before, the empties came out anywhere from 1:00 to 5:00, and flew 5 feet away up to 20 feet away.
Mike38

Post by Mike38 »

I shot another 50 rounds through my Benelli .32 wadcutter tonight, not a failure of any kind. I must have gotten lucky with my pick for the extractor spring. This makes 100 rounds, which is the first time this pistol has gone more than 30 rounds without an extraction or ejection problem. Now if I can learn how to shoot it, all will be well.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Nice. The shape of the extractor nose makes a huge difference too, and the "factory" shape often needs tweaking, as discussed in the linked thread earlier. Not that I'd recommend that for yours right now!