Scatt decode....Elliptical factor

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
400driver

Scatt decode....Elliptical factor

Post by 400driver »

I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit more information about the Elliptical Factor on my trace info. What does the reading mean to me? How can I use this information to improve?
Thanks
Mark

For group 1.24
Trace 0.91

This is for a 9mm pistol at 25 m
30 shots , score 290 ,fractional 301.7
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
m1963

Re: Scatt decode....Elliptical factor

Post by m1963 »

400driver

Post by 400driver »

Perfect.

Many thanks
KH250

Post by KH250 »

My understanding of the elliptical factor for group is it indicates how round the group is, number one would indicate a round group numbers greater or smaller than one would be an elliptical group. The for tracing number is the roundness of the tracing leading up to the shot. I do not pay much attention to these numbers. I do not know if or how I should train to modify them. I suspect improving my stability, trigger control, and accuracy of sighting will improve these numbers.
I pay more attention to the mm/s, % time in the ten ring, co-ordination graph, distance between average aiming point and shot, and the difference between the group size and the stability of aim. Speed graph can also be useful.
Your attached picture shows a large disparity between stability of hold and group size. Trigger control, shot release may be a problem some of the time.

Attached is a group I shot using a MG4. Group size and stability of aim are similar. My stability of aim is much worse than yours but I shot within my hold. Elliptical numbers are closer to 1, do not know if the difference is meaningful. Without the individual trace for each shot for both of these files, it is a bit hard to know what you or I need to work on to improve. I would like to have your stability of aiming number and to shoot within the hold.
Attachments
MG4Scatt.jpg
400driver

Post by 400driver »

There were a few flyers into the 8, the trigger is 1360 Grams and acceleration is ok given the trigger weight. When I look at the numbers for my LP10 they are much lower.
Will have a read and see if I can learn anything.
Thanks
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

400driver wrote:There were a few flyers into the 8, the trigger is 1360 Grams and acceleration is ok given the trigger weight.
If you are correctly pulling the trigger rearwards then the trigger weight should not affect acceleration.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Fair point.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

"Acceleration"? What do you mean? Is this the increase in pistol trace speed just before the shot release because of improper use of the trigger?
400driver

Post by 400driver »

If I have a good trigger press, the blue trace stays small and doesn't move very far from the end of the yellow.
When I use a different 9mm pistol which has a trigger that is less crisp, I sometimes see and increase in the trace speed.
I see the overall trace length at about 300mm for my 9mm and 120 ish for my LP10.
When I talked of acceleration it was in reference to a bad trigger technique for that shot.

It seems that having read all the links above, eleyptical factor is not very much discussed.
Thanks for the inputs.