TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:33 pm 

I’m fortunate to own a MR38 and have been toying with the thought of purchasing a MR88. I appreciate they are very different revolvers. I’m hoping someone on the board may have insight into the MR88 accuracy and perhaps if it’s possible to improve the trigger (lower SA/DA). I’ve read the Ruger GP100 and the MR88 have some close design ties but I’m not inclined to purchase a rebranded Ruger at premium.

I’m terms of purpose I’d like to own a revolver that can be used in SA/DA as the MR38 is SAO.

Than you in advance

Brian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:48 pm 

I had the MR73 (38 spl) and it was very accurate. Trigger was extremely dry. http://www.chapuis-armes.com/26-manurhin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:33 am 

The MR73 (.38) is .38 Special only and has a shorter cylinder than the MR88 which is .357 mag,
hence the slight barrel length difference.

The cylinder spacings are the same and are about half way between a K and N frame so
neither speedloader will fit. Adjustable german speed loaders work very well in either gun.

Both are a tight .355-.356 barrel (9mm).

The MR73 over the years has been sold with both single action or sometimes double action.
The difference is the hammer only. A double action hammer can be fitted to a MR73.
The MR88 is sold as a double action revolver (plus single action) and can be modified to be
double action only with a smooth light double action pull.

The MR73 has a target oversize extended rear sight while the the MR88 has a combat
style rear sight, both are interchangable along with foresights.
The extended rear sight is a pain if using a holster and is easy to damage and bend
(travelling with the MR73, the Airlines have damaged the sight a couple of times, it now
gets removed to fly).
MR73 target partridge and ramp on the MR88.

I shoot a MR73 in ISSF and WA1500 but the one I would like to try is the MR88 Sport 4" for
service pistol.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:30 pm 

The MR38 I purchased a couple of years ago from MB is a SA/DA.

I was concerned that it might be a problem for me as I only shoot ISSF CF with it and thought that the DA could take away something from the normal MR38.

I think my Manurhin was manufactured before CF trigger weight was changed to 1000g and stays just above 1500g, attempting to approach 1000g results in light primer hits and/or a trigger that won't return for wade until the hammer is cocked again, a more than a little disconcerting feeling, now I dry fire before shooting and don't notice a heavier feel.

Although I don't shoot any DA I must say that it feels amazingly smooth and easy and friends that only shoot DA are impressed.

I remember hearing that the MR38 only has a different hammer for D/A, might be worth looking into, good luck. John.