.22 short target pistols

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Westporter

.22 short target pistols

Post by Westporter »

Correct me if I am wrong here, but it is my understanding that the .22 short is no longer used in Olympic/International competition. That said, it seems that target grade .22 short pistols such as the Walther OSP still bring a premium in the used marketplace. I find that odd given I assume the relative obsolescence of such pistols or is this another "curse of the collector market" as I call it. I raise this issue because I am considering purchasing such a pistol for fun only, and not any serious competition.
GOVTMODEL

Re: .22 short target pistols

Post by GOVTMODEL »

You are correct about the .22 Short not being used in ISSF Rapid Fire Pistol. I have seen a few Walther OSP’s and an old High Standard used in Gallery Course matches, but never in an outdoor pistol match.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

I think the reason for some seller asking for premium price for an obsolete pistol is mainly due to lack of knowledge regard the rules for the use of these pistol has changed.

Most of these seller are NOT active target shooters, some are wheeler dealers come into possession of one of these pistol by chance, look them up at some outdated references such as Gun Digest, thinking its worth much than reasonable market value.

As from a collectors point of view, most of these pistol are well used; had more than a few mod done to it, none are in as new condition, unless it was owned by some famous shooters, has very little collector value.

If you're looking for these pistol, chances are you can pick up a few from shooters who still has them sitting in their gun cabinet gathering dust, they are fun to shoot but target velocity .22 short ammo are hard to find.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

You're right about it being largely the "curse of the collector market". There were few of these things made, and few imported into the US. A lot of those sitting unused in the back of the safe. There's enough demand from the "I always wanted one of those" and "hey, that looks like fun" market to keep prices high; and there's a limited and shrinking supply. They're small, so most people who have one don't "need" to sell it either for the cash or to free up storage space. They're fun to pull out and shoot occasionally. Personally I wouldn't mind finding an old Pardini GPO if I could find one for cheap. Have FAS601 to trade.

Sellers can ask whatever they want, but they'll wait a long time for a sale. There are a few on GunBroker right now in the $1,000 range, but it seems that $800 and less is what they eventually end up selling for. I passed on a Unique 823 that went for about $600 at a local auction; that was beyond my comfort zone for a "toy" that I really didn't need and wouldn't really have any use for.
Westporter

Post by Westporter »

On a related note, I wonder what will happen to the free pistol market here in the US now that it appears it will no longer be an Olympic event. Vintage Hammerli free pistols sometimes have outrageous asking prices but don't seem to sell well at any price. More reasonable dealers seem to finally realize what the market will probably bear and have started to offer some at well under $1000, although I would guess some limited collector interest here as well.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A fellow coach for the collegiate team I work with just bought a couple Toz's for under $300. These were "new", in a case with accessories, but had the uncarved grips.

At least for now, free pistol will probably continue as a US collegiate event, where it is enjoyed (as much as free pistol ever is...) by students of both genders.
Westporter

Post by Westporter »

That's great. I don't understand why the Olympic Committee did not see fit to make the Free Pistol open to both men and women as that seemed to be an excuse to drop it in an attempt to achieve more balance in the Olympic events. Also, at $300 each, I'd take one myself!
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

FWIW, I would not write off Free Pistol. I suspect it's going to be like Greco-Roman wrestling...out of the Olympics until replace by popular demand.

WRT the .22S Rapid Fire pistols, the big headache is ammo. I've got an OSP myself, and around 6,000 rounds of R25...but when that's shot up, finding more ammunition will be a PITA.
divingin

Post by divingin »

Mike M. wrote:I've got an OSP myself, and around 6,000 rounds of R25...but when that's shot up, finding more ammunition will be a PITA.
Might be difficult, but doesn't seem like it's impossible:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-shor ... c-199.aspx
https://www.luckygunner.com/rimfire/22-short-ammo
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22-short
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Westporter wrote:That's great. I don't understand why the Olympic Committee did not see fit to make the Free Pistol open to both men and women as that seemed to be an excuse to drop it in an attempt to achieve more balance in the Olympic events. Also, at $300 each, I'd take one myself!
The fault lies with the ISSF. Not the IOC.
The ISSF needs to have women competing in FP for them to be included in the Olympics.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Westporter wrote:That said, it seems that target grade .22 short pistols such as the Walther OSP still bring a premium in the used marketplace.
Depends upon the country I guess. Here, they are either destroyed or given away for free, respetively a nominal fee of 20 to 50 Euros.

Alexander
j-team

Post by j-team »

Alexander wrote:
Westporter wrote:That said, it seems that target grade .22 short pistols such as the Walther OSP still bring a premium in the used marketplace.
Depends upon the country I guess. Here, they are either destroyed or given away for free, respetively a nominal fee of 20 to 50 Euros.

Alexander
Yeah, they don't have much value here either. Some later OSPs are converted to .22lr (one even to a .22lr rifle). But others like FAS, Pardini Unique etc. Scrap value. Someone here once suggested that they would make good decoy anchors (for duck shooters).
sparky

Post by sparky »

Yep. .22 short RFPs' values dropped like a rock when RFP went to .22lr. I saw the writing on the wall and sold my Walther OSP as soon as the change happened. I was lucky to sell mine for around $1800 or so back in 2006 or 2007. I doubt I'd get half that now. While you could still shoot them in bullseye, why bother? Target .22 short ammo is crazy expensive and hard to find relative to target .22lr ammo. Incidentally, I still have about 2-3 boxes of Fiocci .22short if someone is in northern VA and wants to trade for some .22lr Wolf Match Target ammo.

As for Free Pistol, I doubt it's coming back. Greco-Roman wrestling has visual appeal and is one of the "good" sports in the liberal media world...free pistol isn't. I expect within the next 2-3 years, companies will stop making free pistols (if they haven't already), and as free pistol fades into history, free pistol prices will similarly free fall. I'm guessing prices might fall even more, because unlike RFPs, you can't use them in other disciplines, like bullseye.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Unfortunately, you can't even shoot them in NRA Precision (Bullseye) pistol now. The rules now state "long rifle" for the .22 pistol or revolver (see ammunition) and the standard .22 pistol must be chambered for the "rim fire long rifle" cartridge.

Too bad, a lot of people used to use them for the reduced range "gallery" matches.

CR
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Well, if nothing else I can use it for training new shooters. Or get an unported barrel and thread it for a suppressor.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

sparky wrote:I'm guessing prices might fall even more, because unlike RFPs, you can't use them in other disciplines, like bullseye.
Free pistols are wonderful for unlimited class rimfire silhouette shooting. Too bad that sport is mostly moribund.