TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:33 pm 

I have one of the older 208's and was at a loss to find information on how to remove the recoil spring from the frame.
As a absolute last ditch effort to get to the bottom of this I decided to take a look at the manual which came with the pistol and found clear instruction:

ImageImage

Honestly I didn't want to wrench on the slide with a screw driver so got the ideal to make up a small toe jack to fit up on the pistol in the place of the weight.
The is the problem with having a milling machine and metal lathe- very low threshold to just knock something out..

The thing works like a champ- slight turn on the allen key and the slide is opened just enough to remove the spring neat:

Image Image
ImageImage

Image Image

Don't laugh guys- I know a practiced hand has that spring out fast enough but I like the perfectly controlled lift of the toe jack which allows me to pull the spring and place another in with no fuss.
I have some 208's build a bit later and they rely on a rotation of the pin to remove the spring- these old gals need the frame pried open a bit.

Last edited by trboat on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:36 pm 

Thanks for this explanation. I purchased a used older 208 with a worn spring and crack in the frame. I could not figure out how to get the recoil spring out and it looked like the barrel needed to be moved in order to remove that spring. I also could not find an older manual, such as you have, which described moving the barrel.

If I could have figured out how to remove that spring (and install another replacement), it's possible I would have gambled on fiber optic laser welding to attempt a cracked frame repair. That older 208 is still out there.