Hammerli 208/215 prices worldwide

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Sa-tevo

Hammerli 208/215 prices worldwide

Post by Sa-tevo »

After a recent period of being interested in Hammerli 208 and 215 pistols, I wonder what these pistols sell for used in non-US markets. FWB AW93 and Pardini SP22 prices seem to be the same in most markets but in the US used Hammerlis tend to sell at new Pardini prices. (Granted some come with many accessories)

Importing is out of the question since I live in the Land Of The Free but just trying to figure the value.
Christopher Miceli

Re: Hammerli 208/215 prices worldwide

Post by Christopher Miceli »

Are you talking about the 2 stage trigger version where you can slide the trigger placement forward and aft?
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

Christopher Miceli wrote:Are you talking about the 2 stage trigger version where you can slide the trigger placement forward and aft?
This is more about old Hammerlis in general. I was initially interested in 208S and 215S for that feature and for the fact they pushed the right buttons for me: Out of production? Check. Parts are getting difficult to procure? Check. Few gunsmiths know how to work on them? Sign me up!

From what I was coming across it appeared the Hammerli 208/215 was held in higher regard in the US than in Europe and Australia. I was having a lot of fun running non-english forums through translation programs as some of the idioms were a hoot to puzzle out.

Some of the difference in value may be the different competition events favor different equipment.
Christopher Miceli

Larry guns has all kinds of parts, some new old stock some reproduced. Gunsmiths? i can think of 5 that know how to work on them.
scerir

Post by scerir »

10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

I recently saw a Hammerli 208S at a gun show for $1600.00. I suppose the price reflects what the market will bear. I was concerned the frame had a crack, since the pistol was obviously shot considerably and did not have spare recoil springs. Having held several and field stripped one, I think they are nice pistols but not magical and not as durable as Anschutz target rifles. Why they command such a high price in the US is a mystery and I am very leery of buying one without a thorough inspection. I think part of the mystique comes from a Hammerli 208 still holds the world record for ISSF 25m, or maybe it's because they used to be made in Switzerland, but it may just be because 'mericans are stupid (of course, that's just my opinion).
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Sa-tevo wrote:Importing is out of the question since I live in the Land Of The Free but just trying to figure the value.
This is provision in US law to allow the importation of sporting arms as a private individual: 18 U.S.C. § 925
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-g ... war-import

The form you are after is... https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/ ... nition-and

You can also get a FFL to do the same, on your behalf. Might as well just get a Pardini, good aftersales support in the USA and parts etc. Also good resale value.

A tidy 208 would go for about six-fiddy in the land of the long white cloud.
Image Image
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

SamEEE,

You're not helping. ;) All those poor Sako Triaces and TOZ-49s out there...

My experience with US government officials after going through the Immigration process of getting US citizenship (I'm originally from Alabama) and dealing with other regulatory bodies for certifications is that anything out of the ordinary often requires connecting the dots for the officials involved. There is also the host of this website's comment that if we think we can import firearms go ahead and try it.

Thanks for the information on prices outside the US. I was seeing similar prices on German used pistol websites.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Sa-tevo wrote:From what I was coming across it appeared the Hammerli 208/215 was held in higher regard in the US than in Europe and Australia. I was having a lot of fun running non-english forums through translation programs as some of the idioms were a hoot to puzzle out.

Some of the difference in value may be the different competition events favor different equipment.
Yes. The 208 is prized because the grip angle is close to that of the 1911...and with two-thirds of an NRA Bullseye match being shot with the 1911, copying it is useful. On top of that, the 208 has an outstanding trigger.
Christopher Miceli

A lot of bullseye shooters use the 208s/215s for the grip angle and it’s a pretty good gun. The magazine feeds through the magwell and the trigger is moveable. I think the 208s trigger is good but my p240 trigger is better I think...only owned a 208s for a short time so still playing with trigger setup
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

The S&W M41 has the same grip angle as the 1911, by design. The M41 can be also be fitted with Nills, Fung, or Rink grips. It seems more practical to shoot a .22 that emulates the 45, if the goal is to shoot a 45 in competition. But, I also understand the allure of the next gun that will propel me to higher scores.

IMO, the trouble with importing a Hammerli 208,208s, etc. is the same as finding one in the states that can be inspected. Maybe people in the states are unique, but I don't think anyone replaces recoil springs on these guns and if they are shot considerably the frame cracks. Maybe new fiber optic laser welding technology can mitigate that show stopper and make cracked frames a non-issue.