Arm strength and conditioning

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Bill Treanor

Arm strength and conditioning

Post by Bill Treanor »

I've been shooting AP and FP for about 8 years now. I've noticed over the past few years that my arm strength (and ability to hold steady) deteriorates as a match progresses. I still dry fire like I used to, but I feel that my older age may be a factor with this issue.

Aside from more dry firing, I was curious if anyone used weights for arm strength conditioning. And if so, what sorts of exercises do you use?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Barry G

Re: Arm strength and conditioning

Post by Barry G »

I use a 5 Lb dumbbell and raise and hold for 20 seconds as if I'm shooting timed fire. Maybe 10-12 reps twice a day . It may help a bit but at 75 yrs old I think it's a losing battle. Oh to be 30, 40 or 50 again.
Rover

Post by Rover »

My doctor told me, "Your whole body is turning to shit!" (We both like straight talk.)

I guess I'll just have to learn to hold my mouth right.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

This is cut & pasted from Scott Pilkington's site. (Scott is usually more helpful than Rover.)

involves a pair of 5 lb dumbells. One circuit involves the following:
1. Stand upright with hands at your sides (holding dumbells). Raise both arms to 90 degrees, hold for the count of two, then return to sides. Repeat ten times.
2. With right arm raise dumbell to 90 degrees, similar to your shooting stance. Slowly trace a vertical figure-eight ten times. Then slowly trace a horizontal figure-eight another ten times. Return to side.
3. Hold both dumbells out at 90 degrees. Rotate both arms together in a forward rotary motion ten times. Then rotate 10 times in opposite direction. Return to sides.
4. Keep the dumbells near the television and try to complete half a dozen circuits per day. Suddenly your pistol will seem lighter and more stable, and your arm won’t be tired after a match. Exercising both arms means you won’t end up looking like a genetic experiment.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Bill, noticed you're from Nashville. There's an Air Gun match in Hiawassee Georgia this Sunday if you can make it.

Google: Chatuge Gun Club for more details.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Since AtomicGale is certain I have little to offer, I hereby submit THIS:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46778&hilit=potato