Need a double check here - which lens for cataracts?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike M.

Need a double check here - which lens for cataracts?

Post by Mike M. »

OK, I'm scheduled for cataract surgery on my left (non shooting) eye in January. The problem is that the right eye also has a cataract. I'm hoping it'll hold good for another year, but beyond that...probably surgery on that one, too.

My eye doc says it's best to get the same type of lens for both eyes. My choices are:
a. Monovision. This is the cheap option.
b. Toric. This corrects for astigmatism. I've got some in each eye, especially the right eye.
c. Accomodating. No astigmatism correction, but it adjusts like a normal eye for distance.

Does anyone have any inputs? I'm leaning toward the accommodating lens, but don't want to get into trouble with this. Cost really isn't an option, I've enough money to cover all of them. Thanks.
Gwhite

Re: Need a double check here - which lens for cataracts?

Post by Gwhite »

I would seriously ask around a LOT about the accommodating approach. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've discussed it with a couple doctors, and they said it has a lot of problems. A friend of mine is an airline pilot and had his eyes done about a year and a half ago, and everyone he had spoken to said the same thing.

It's possible they have finally resolved the problems by now, but if somebody is telling you that there haven't been any issues, find another doctor.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

This is why I'm asking...here, on a bunch of other boards, and I'm trying to arrange a discussion with Dr. Alan Toler (who does my shooting lenses) ASAP. I'm not scheduled for surgery until 2 January...and am asking around about this doctor, too. He didn't take much time to discuss the options. Not enough for my comfort.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

I am NOT an eye doctor, so please discount this appropriately.

There is a perfect distance for shooting, which is about 48" from you, so the single lens 48" option is not bad. Down side is that the rest of your life is not shooting, so maybe that is a bad decision if it is a primary reason.

Multi-focal is still a gamble. I don't believe that's not real technology yet. At least not without other issues.

The one I want, was advertised 30 years ago, are the X-Ray Specs, which let me see woman without their clothes. Kinda like if they were wearing yoga pants in public ..... Damn, I'm seeing that, and in most cases wish I were blind instead.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

I had my right eye done with a single focus lens implant. My surgeon would not do the variable focus lens, as others have said there seems to be complications with them.
Bear in mind that if something goes wrong with it, taking the lens out again is not a simple procedure.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

My personal opinion would be to not have any astigmatism correction in your implanted lens because if your eye changes over the years to come, you would be "stuck" with that implanted lens. Why not simply have a "good" lens put in and correct the astigmatism with your glasses? ps: it will be interesting to hear what Dr. Toler has to say, my tendency would be to go along with his advice.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

40xguy wrote:My personal opinion would be to not have any astigmatism correction in your implanted lens because if your eye changes over the years to come, you would be "stuck" with that implanted lens. Why not simply have a "good" lens put in and correct the astigmatism with your glasses? ps: it will be interesting to hear what Dr. Toler has to say, my tendency would be to go along with his advice.
I'm not sure that logic makes sense. If your eye changes, you would just get a new prescription for your eyeglasses to compensate for any changes to your eye.

If you omit the astigmatism correction in your implant, you are guaranteed you will need eye glasses forever. If you correct with the implant, you will only need eyeglasses if your eye changes.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I discussed this with my eye surgeon yesterday. Seems I was a bit mistaken the first time. I've got astigmatism, but not enough to be corrected by a toric IOL. I'm going to talk to Dr. Toler about it at my annual eyeglass check, but my current plan is to go with the Crystalens.

Short form is that for maximum acuity, I will need astigmatism correction in the right eye. OTOH, I've worn glasses for 45 years, it doesn't bother me one bit. Close up, I'll need reading glasses...the Crystalens is an accomodative (not multifocal) IOL. My eye surgeon wasn't pushing it, he claims I'd be ok with a monofocal lens...but I like the idea of having the ability to fine-tune. The Crystalens appears roughly equivalent to a presbyopic eye - you won't get 100% performance at both short and long distances, but a pair of reading glasses will get you to 100%.