Quick question about Match gun MG2 function

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jens_ms

Quick question about Match gun MG2 function

Post by jens_ms »

Hello

I have just received a new (55xx) match gun MG2. I have only taken it to the range twice, and had some problems with it the second time. When firing, the first shot is extracted as it should, and the next round enters the chamber as it should. However, the hammer does not "stay back", it falls as the slide moves forward, as if the trigger doesn't catch it. I dont think it is the trigger setting, which I currently have dialed in for "extra safety".
I am wondering: do I need to quickly release the trigger, in order for the hammer to get caught and stay back, until I press the trigger again?

*edit: I should add, that this has lead to two double-fires, and the second round that is chambered has some indent from the firing pin, though not as deep as the first round

On my old walther ksp 200, I can pull the trigger, hammer strikes, then as I am holding the trigger all the way in, I can pull the slide back and forth. The trigger still catches the hammer, even when I hold in the trigger completely during the slide movement.

For the match gun MG2, apparantly I now have to release the trigger at least some, before the slide starts moving forward again during the reload, otherwise the trigger wont catch the hammer. I dont think I had this problem the first time at the range, but now I do. Is something broken or am I supposed to immediately release the trigger somewhat, following the shot?

Best regards
northpaw

Re: Quick question about Match gun MG2 function

Post by northpaw »

jens_ms wrote:Hello
I dont think it is the trigger setting, which I currently have dialed in for "extra safety".

*edit: I should add, that this has lead to two double-fires, and the second round that is chambered has some indent from the firing pin, though not as deep as the first round
"Dialed in for extra safety" What does that mean? Does this read you increased the sear engagement (Aftrekker-indgreb)?

If you do that, I think you have adjust the trigerstop too.

If you are able to make Your MG2 function reliably, you have got yourself an outstanding gun.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

jens_ms wrote:Hello

I have just received a new (55xx) match gun MG2. I have only taken it to the range twice, and had some problems with it the second time. When firing, the first shot is extracted as it should, and the next round enters the chamber as it should. However, the hammer does not "stay back", it falls as the slide moves forward, as if the trigger doesn't catch it. I dont think it is the trigger setting, which I currently have dialed in for "extra safety".
I am wondering: do I need to quickly release the trigger, in order for the hammer to get caught and stay back, until I press the trigger again?

On my old walther ksp 200, I can pull the trigger, hammer strikes, then as I am holding the trigger all the way in, I can pull the slide back and forth. The trigger still catches the hammer, even when I hold in the trigger completely during the slide movement.

For the match gun MG2, apparantly I now have to release the trigger at least some, before the slide starts moving forward again during the reload, otherwise the trigger wont catch the hammer. I dont think I had this problem the first time at the range, but now I do. Is something broken or am I supposed to immediately release the trigger somewhat, following the shot?

Best regards
What you are describing is a failure of the "disconnector" function. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the MG2, but all semi-auto firearms have some sort of device to prevent the hammer "following" the slide forward, or they wouldn't be semiautomatic (i.e. they would be machine pistols). The exact mechanical details of how this is done varies considerably from pistol to pistol. On many pistols, proper operation of the disconnector depends on parts being hand fitted at the factory. If they had a bad day, it could have been marginal, and is now even more so. It is also possible the sear engagement is set too fine, and the jar of cycling is releasing the hammer.

It sounds seriously unsafe, and I wouldn't shoot it again until I'd discussed it with the factory.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I had this happen on my new MG2RF. Sounds like you've got too much overtravel. The hammer won't catch and stay caught if the trigger is pulled way back. Its not a fault of the gun itself - just the way the geometry of the mechanism works. To test it I keep the trigger all the way back after a dryfire, pull the slide all the way back and let it go again, all the while keeping that trigger held back. The hammer release lever should reset, if it doesn't you need to shorten the overtravel. There is actually very little overtravel left after this adjustment.
Like the other guy said, once these are set up they are really nice to shoot.
jens_ms

Post by jens_ms »

Thank you all for the replies

The 'extra safety' is meant as lots of sear engagement

After the first double fire, I started loading single rounds, I agree completely that this is too unsafe

I already have quite short overtravel, but I will try making it even shorter. It also has a screw called something with 'disconnecter' described in the manual, I will try looking at that too. I dont think the disconnector is wrongly set, but maybe all the settings influence each other somehow, because obviously it doesnt work as it should right now

I will let you know if this gets it working
Again, thanks for the replies, very helpful

Best regards
jens_ms

Post by jens_ms »

After about an hour of adjustment, the disconnector now seems to be working as it should.

I started out by just adjusting the trigger stop and disconnector screw, but with no luck. I then started messing around with almost all other adjustment screws as well, and after 45 minutes of adjustment and checking the trigger parts during firing and manual reload, the disconnector suddenly made a click and started working again. Then some more adjustment to get a good trigger feel again, and all seems to be in order now.

Maybe I had somehow adjusted the trigger out of bounds or something, since it needed adjustment on almost all screws (only exception was first stage weight).

But now I am pretty confident it will work the next time I take it to the range. At least now I have a much better understanding of how the trigger works

Best regards