For olympic 10m pistol, how do people use up the entire 75 minutes for 60 shots?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
TheDarkGenius

For olympic 10m pistol, how do people use up the entire 75 minutes for 60 shots?

Post by TheDarkGenius »

I bought a FAS 6004 a couple weeks ago and have been practicing shooting at 10m with the right size target, but I have only had around 20 seconds between shots. I know that at the olympics competitors have 75 minutes for 60 shots, so how do they use this time, 1 minute 15 per shot.
Mike M.

Re: For olympic 10m pistol, how do people use up the entire 75 minutes for 60 shots?

Post by Mike M. »

Budget around one minute per shot. Actually, you may shoot a bit quicker...or you may need to sit down and collect your thoughts after a bad shot.
DGIDE

Re: For olympic 10m pistol, how do people use up the entire 75 minutes for 60 shots?

Post by DGIDE »

Back when the National Championships were shot at Prado Tiro, near Riverside California, I seem to remember we had 2 hours for air pistol. Anyway, some competitors would sit down every 10 shots for a couple of minutes, maybe read a page or two from a book, eat a bite of food or take a drink of water or soda. Have to remember you shot at 60 individual targets that came back an forth on a target carrier. Everybody had their own pace of loading and sending targets. Time went by pretty fast so we were taught that if we we out of time to put two shots in target # 59 and leave #60 blank. No penalty for doing so. Just had to hope you did not hit hole on hole, that drove the scorers nuts.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Other competitors sit around and take a break, so I sit around and abuse them.

Actually, I like to shoot about fifteen sighters to settle in and also take a break after each twenty shots.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:32 pm Actually, I like to shoot about fifteen sighters to settle in and also take a break after each twenty shots.
Remember that, under ISSF rules, the sighters are completed in the 15 minutes before the competition shot period begins.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Dark Genius,

At that level, there are FAST shooters (Rick) who will send the first 40 shots out in 20 minutes, then settle in to "dial in the score."

There are SLOW shooters (Jack) who will burn completely off the first hour shooting at most 10 shots & then the peanut-gallery is like "WTF Dude? get on with it," & Jack amazingly cranks-out a very impressive string with seconds to spare.

In actuality, if they'd let us have electronics on the line, you could shoot, order a pizza delivered, eat the pizza, & finish shooting with plenty of time to spare.

The main thing is using those 75 minutes to let the muscles relax, sit there pissed-off about how shitty you're shooting, sulk about it, & get back up and finish your duty as an American and score those 60 shots.

Hope this helps . . . .
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

being "an old person" and not having the strength to shoot 60 shots in 75 minutes, my interest in air pistol was ruined from the beginning. shame because it sure was fun and enjoyed the shooting. the air pistol folk ought to have "something" for us seniors that will take into account the loss of strength. is air pistol a sport of being able to shoot or a sport of strength and endurance?? signed: disappointed in Ohio
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

40xguy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:00 am being "an old person" and not having the strength to shoot 60 shots in 75 minutes, my interest in air pistol was ruined from the beginning. shame because it sure was fun and enjoyed the shooting. the air pistol folk ought to have "something" for us seniors that will take into account the loss of strength. is air pistol a sport of being able to shoot or a sport of strength and endurance?? signed: disappointed in Ohio
there is the "supported rest shooting" for seniors. very popular in Germany
https://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.asp ... dition.pdf
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Rover

Post by Rover »

40xguy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:00 am being "an old person" and not having the strength to shoot 60 shots in 75 minutes, my interest in air pistol was ruined from the beginning. shame because it sure was fun and enjoyed the shooting. the air pistol folk ought to have "something" for us seniors that will take into account the loss of strength. is air pistol a sport of being able to shoot or a sport of strength and endurance?? signed: disappointed in Ohio
Stop your whining, you feeble old fart! Air pistol is ALMOST exactly like FP. Just get up there and shoot. That is why the NRA has "Senior" and "Grand Senior" classifications. They are NOT sports of "strength and endurance."

I'll bet I'm older than you, yet I shoot Air & Free, plus Bullseye, frequently on the same day.
Rover

Post by Rover »

David Levene wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:22 am
Rover wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:32 pm Actually, I like to shoot about fifteen sighters to settle in and also take a break after each twenty shots.
Remember that, under ISSF rules, the sighters are completed in the 15 minutes before the competition shot period begins.
Actually, you may shoot sighters for as long as you like. You just have to stop sighters when you begin your shots for score. Perhaps there are other clubs with other rules, though.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

Azmodan... thank you for a very informative post. sure wish I had known about this. of all the research I did, nothing I found said anything about what you have referenced here. I might also take this opportunity to thank you for being supportive and helpful rather than being some ***** who calls others names and belittles them for not being the superhuman that he is.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:17 am
David Levene wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:22 am
Actually, you may shoot sighters for as long as you like. You just have to stop sighters when you begin your shots for score. Perhaps there are other clubs with other rules, though.
When was the last time you read the ISSF rules?

Under ISSF rules you have 15 minutes during which time you may fire sighting shots; Rule 6.11.1.1

At the end of that time the competition shots time commences. All shots during the competition time are counted as competition shots: Rule 6.11.1.2

It's only been this way since 01/01/2013
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ah well, chastised twice in a row. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa (and other Latin shit like that).
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rover wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:37 pm Ah well, chastised twice in a row. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa (and other Latin shit like that).
proxime csed non corolla (Close, but no cigar)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:20 pm
Rover wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:37 pm Ah well, chastised twice in a row. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa (and other Latin shit like that).
proxime sed non corolla (Close, but no cigar)
DGIDE

Post by DGIDE »

Way back when, you got a stack of 60 single bull targets and 4 single bull targets with a black stripe on them. You could shoot unlimited sighting shots with no time limit. However that time spent came out of your overall allotted time. Once you shot the first record target, you could not go back to sighters, except if you had to change firing point due to target carrier malfunction.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

being "an old person" and not having the strength to shoot 60 shots in 75 minutes, my interest in air pistol was ruined from the beginning.
The youths I've coached also lacked the needed strength at the beginning, but those who were really interested in air pistol shooting worked on their endurance training until they could shoot the 60 shots. Shooting is an endurance sport, and part of training for every sport includes strength or endurance training, or both.

Part of ANY training plan must include outside training for both, weighted toward endurance for pistol shooters.

I too am an "old person", but have made the decision to do strength training two days a week and endurance (cardio) training an additional 3-4 days a week. It can be done if you CHOOSE to do it.

Remember the ten most powerful two letter words in the English language "IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME".
High Left

Post by High Left »

Mike M. wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:58 pm you may need to sit down and collect your thoughts after a bad shot.
I'd be there til midnight if I did that.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:23 pm
Gwhite wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:20 pm
proxime sed non corolla (Close, but no cigar)
We'd better watch it, Gwhite. Levene only wants us to post in English. We know he's big on the rules.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Don't forget to stretch your neck muscles before you shoot. You spend a lot of time shaking your head when you see where your shots went...