What the Sam-Hell IS "Mixed Team Event" Anyway?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

What the Sam-Hell IS "Mixed Team Event" Anyway?

Post by atomicgale »

What is this "Mixed-Team Event"? I've got RENZO from Argentina all stirred into a Buzz about the ladies?

Why did we give up 50-meter-prone?
Why DID we give up 50-meter-Free-Pistol: One of the OLDEST Olympic Sports?

SERIOUSLY? "TEAM" Pistol-Shooting was Bad-to-the-Bone back when Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton were "TEAM: Shooting" - at each other! Now THAT'S worth a medal.

Just dismayed here at the recent turn of events. Personally, I'd rather see the Soviets come back with beta-blockers and Quualudes.

Any suggestions?
6string

Re: What the Sam-Hell IS "Mixed Team Event" Anyway?

Post by 6string »

atomicgale wrote:
SERIOUSLY? "TEAM" Pistol-Shooting was Bad-to-the-Bone back when Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton were "TEAM: Shooting" - at each other! Now THAT'S worth a medal.

Any suggestions?

Classic! Haha!

Actually, there was a serious attempt at such a sport late 19th/early 20th century. It involved Flobert type pistols firing rimfire cartridges loaded with a frangible bullet. The two competitors wore a fencing type protective outfit and mask. The pistols were even modified with a hand-guard for maximum protection.
Once dressed up, the two competitors faced off at a specified distance and shot at each other! The sport enjoyed a brief vogue in France and Belgium, I believe.
It would certainly qualify for the current trend of making the sporting events more "spectator friendly"!

Jim
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

atomicgale wrote:What is this "Mixed-Team Event"? I've got RENZO from Argentina all stirred into a Buzz about the ladies?

Why did we give up 50-meter-prone?
Why DID we give up 50-meter-Free-Pistol: One of the OLDEST Olympic Sports?

Just dismayed here at the recent turn of events. Personally, I'd rather see the Soviets come back with beta-blockers and Quualudes.

Any suggestions?
I can't believe someone wants to go through all of this again.

Can I suggest some research here on TargetTalk.

Please also remember that the IOC own the Olympics. They, and only they, decide which events appear on the Olympic programme.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

David: I think 6-String is on to something here. Let's get these FLOBERT-PISTOLS out & start a league! I mean, this would go hand-in-hand with my previous suggestion of "GANGSTA-STYLE" Pistol event. ANYTHING at this point to encourage America's youth to step away from the video games and take up a real sport. Let's make MEN and not Snowflakes.

Seriously! I would pay BIG BUCKS to watch Jin-Jong-Oh and Rover start blazing away at each other, while dressed as fencers!

Then we move on to the Drive-By event!
renzo

Post by renzo »

Recently the subject was talked about "ad nauseam" amongst ISSF judges during the course I was taking on the rules that still are not (to quote David).

He put it simply in clear words: you want to stay in the OG, do as the IOC says. PERIOD. There is no consultation rounds, it´s all PR BS.

The decision was taken to dimisnish the number of athletes, and the only consideration was TV audiences.

Unfortunately, the information that was relayed to us is that the two events that were dropped (50M60PR and 50MP) are TWO of the SIX less viewed events in the OG program, so if shooting had to let some elbow room, those events were doomed from the word "start".

Another important point is that the IOC is trending to an equal opportunity for men and women medals. That DOES NOT MEAN that the two sexes are to be put in equal footing, and let the best win. Nothing at all. IT MEANS that WHATEVER the technical level of the athletes, men and women MUST take EQUAL amount of medals. Another PERIOD.

If it's of any consolation, shooting has won an extra three medals comparted to RIO 16.

Yes, I´m not kidding. We had then 15 individual events, that's 15 gold medals.

Now we have 12 individuial events, that's 12 gold medals, and THREE mixed events which award TWO gold medals each, that 18 gold medals.

I know, I'm making virtue out of necessity, but AFAIK, nobody offered us a better deal...........................

And don't mistake me, I don't like the way the things were decided and ended, and am still throwing my guts off at the loss of of the Queen Event, but neither Olegario nor Thomas Bach are taking my calls, so I'd better swallow it and smile!!!!
j-team

Post by j-team »

atomicgale wrote:
Then we move on to the Drive-By event!
That's a biathalon... Driving & shooting!
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Thank you J-Team!

Let's introduce: The Olympic REALLY Modern Pentathlon: (1) Shooting, (2) Driving, (3) Switch-Blade Fighting, (4) Running, (5) Mixed-Martial-Arts.

Let's ditch this Sissy-stuff with the horses, and cut to the chase: MARKETABILITY & VIEWER-RATINGS.

This event would encourage the younger generations to learn the shooting disciplines, while being UNBELIEVEABLY MARKETABLE, especially in the televised Mixed-Team-Gangsta-Style-Drive-By-REALLY-Modern-Pentathlon event.

Just a thought . . . .
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Nothing new!

https://www.olympic.org/montreal-1976/shooting

All events were mixed, with Margaret Murdoch and Lanny Basham changing places for gold and silver when the tie break was applied correctly.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Seriously! I would pay BIG BUCKS to watch Jin-Jong-Oh and Rover start blazing away at each other, while dressed as fencers!

There is a whole lot of difference firing at a tame square bit of cardboard and shooting at something that will shoot back !

It will surely separate the 'men from the boys' as the Brits would say .
6string

Post by 6string »

I found an interesting photo of a competitor in my previously described Flobert pistol Dueling matches.
You can see the hand guard and mask, to protect from shots fired by the opponent.
Attachments
duelling_with_wax_bullets_small.jpg
duelling_with_wax_bullets_small.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

6string wrote:I found an interesting photo of a competitor in my previously described Flobert pistol Dueling matches.
You can see the hand guard and mask, to protect from shots fired by the opponent.
Also note the large number of spectators in the background !
6string

Post by 6string »

Elmas wrote:Also note the large number of spectators in the background !
Yes. It goes against our sensibilities as target shooting competitors today, but, clearly there was a spectator appeal for this sport.

Jim
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Those aren't spectators - those are TARGETS for the Drive-by event!

And I SWEAR he's holding the pistol "Gangsta-style." Now let's add the choice of Tasers, and Pepper-Ball guns for the Team event & and the TV ratings will SOAR for the debut event of Antifa vs BLM.
tceva

Post by tceva »

You Gentlemen are killing me. How about the IOC vs NFL ?
In a corporate match.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"It will surely separate the 'men from the boys' as the Brits would say."

I thought they did that with a crowbar there.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

tceva wrote:You Gentlemen are killing me. How about the IOC vs NFL ?
In a corporate match.
Dead even tie. It's all about the money
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

How about a Rematch of the Revolutionary War: USA v. UK. We'll redo that whole "Shot Heard 'Round the World" thing & recreate the Battle of Lexington circa July 29, 1775, only with FLo-Bart pistols, tasers, and pepper-ball guns.

ANYTHING for TV Ratings!!!
Rover

Post by Rover »

atomicgale wrote:How about a Rematch of the Revolutionary War: USA v. UK. We'll redo that whole "Shot Heard 'Round the World" thing & recreate the Battle of Lexington circa July 29, 1775, only with FLo-Bart pistols, tasers, and pepper-ball guns.

ANYTHING for TV Ratings!!!
Wellll, if it's good enough for the IOC.