Spring for oddball Baikal IZH35M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
_Axel_

Spring for oddball Baikal IZH35M

Post by _Axel_ »

I have a Baikal IZH35M, and need a new mag spring. Does anyone know where to get one, preferably in the EU? Or are there any other spring that might fit?

The measurements are with my steel imperial ruler 3-1/4" long 15/16" back to front, and 5/32" wide.

or with my vernier caliper in metric:

80.53mm,25.21mm,5.25mm

I suspect many springs will fit, but AW93 spring is probably the closest one?! Does anyone have one to take measurements off of?
10M_Stan

Re: Spring for oddball Baikal IZH35M

Post by 10M_Stan »

I have read rumors that the AW93 and IZH-35M magazines are interchangeable. EAA, which appears to be the North America importer for IZH-35M parts, does not appear to have that magazine spring: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... tgt-pistol. I believe the AW93 magazine parts (and spare IZH-35M magazines) are a bit expensive.

I don't normally describe this, but it's not very difficult to make a new magazine spring. The primary component needed is, as the name describes, spring (or music) wire. Fortunately, that is inexpensive and readily available from sources such as McMaster-Carr (and industrial supplier). Guitar strings and piano strings (music wire) also work if the diameter is correct. Places such as McMaster-Carr sell about every music wire diameter available in both carbon and stainless steel.

How that works: measure the wire diameter (this is important) with a vernier caliper or micrometer. Find (purchase) the appropriate diameter music wire. Bend the music wire in the shape of the magazine spring wire. The bending may require some pliers or a small vice. If the wire is scratched or gouged due to the forming, the spring life is reduce - but not dramatically. For ease of forming (bending), a piece of wood can be used of the appropriate size.

Edit: I read to late the location. However, if music wire can be acquired the principles described are an option.

Edit II: I also would be interested in a parts distributor for the IZH-35M (in the EU is fine by me, as EAA is not a diligent parts supplier).
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I would fabricate the spring with Music Wire, not Stainless.

Remember to stress relieve the newly made spring in the oven, set at 450 degrees F. Stress relieve for one half hour.

This will make an interesting project for a lazy afternoon.

Cheers,

Dave
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Aw 93 magazines are exactly the same except;
The button on the side may vary in diameter. If it is too big it's easily fixed with a powerdrill and a file.
The plastic bottom, just cut off the unnecessary wide sides.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Axel:

I used to own a baikal 35 M and replaced the mag springs with S&W 21 mag springs.

They did not fit perfectly and I think I cut three coils off the spring and stuffed them in the mag but they worked perfectly.

As a matter of fact, they were a bit too stiff and I was considering removing another coil but sold the pistol. Was sort waiting to see if they would relax.

Regards,
Cranky