best all round pistol for olypmic style shooting?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
blackberrygoose

best all round pistol for olypmic style shooting?

Post by blackberrygoose »

Hi,
I am new (back) to the sport, pistol shooting. I have recently joined a club and I am in no rush to buy a new pistol as I have some training to do before I go on to competition. In the past I have enjoyed bowhunting and recreational shooting, and throwing knife, slingshot, and some target archery. When I was a teenager, the dabbling of shooting sports was encouraged by my parents (because resistance was useless, many attempts to discourage, fell on deaf ears and active hands) as an interest of firearms and ancient weapons was a demonstrated fascination with me. The intention of my interest in shooting pistol is a competitive one, and I aim to compete as often as possible.

I stress that I am looking for an Olympic pistol to use and any recommendations of model and type. I would prefer a multi calibre (.22lr rimfire and .32 centrefire) target pistol and I am looking at the weakness (or failures) and strength (features) factors of the top pistols.

The service firearms, while I do enjoy shooting them, I am not interested in purchasing one at the moment or competing in those competitions presently.

The models I have seen that interest me are from; Benelli, Hammerli, Walther, Pardini, Morini, Matchguns and Feinwerkbau.
While I know that not all of these manufacturers produce a multi calibre pistol, and there are some who make a gun that does have part and cartridge eating capabilities. I am especially interested in talking about these faults. I would also like to hear accounts of parts failures of these above mentioned brands.

I would be interested in hearing about other current manufacturers who produce a pistol that is able to shoot both competitive calibres in the same gun. while I understand that there are many obsolete guns and models, it would be pointless to talk about these for the reasons of current parts back up, interchange ability of parts, and availability of parts (which will affect unit and parts prices). I accept for the whole it is not the gun that gets the hits in the X ring, but the shooter.
thanks for your time.

p.s. I don't really give a stuff for proper gramma, or spelling or language, I am interested in you accounts and stories, no matter how long or short.
pistol champ

Re: best all round pistol for olypmic style shooting?

Post by pistol champ »

There are a lot of Pardini's being shot in the Olympics.
blackberrygoose

I am aware that the pardini pistols are very popular, many of the competitive shooters in the club I am a member of, use them. Did you know that the extractor claw and firing pins are the most used new parts by these firearms?, who will replace (break) them at least once every season?

I suspect that once they had been manufactured by pardini, these parts have not been normalised after heat treatment.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Your club shooters are shooting the 32 S&W long which do break extractors.
Shoot the 32acp and the extractor will not break.
Firing pins are low cost and easy to replace. I have over 100 thousand trigger pulls on one. This is usually a few years of shooting.
blackberrygoose

how is the Pardini to shoot? what is the comparison like to say the Walther? does the .32 long shoot .32 acp? or is it a different chambering?
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

I would not hesitate to get a Pardini. Provided the grip angle fits you, of course.

All pistols need new firing pins, extractors and recoil springs occasionally. Just make sure you have spare parts on hand, and enjoy shooting a great competition pistol!

And if you are going to compete in Centrefire, don't consider any other calibre than .32 S&W Long. Why give yourself an unnecessary handicap?

My 5 cents' worth, YMMV of course.
rmca

Post by rmca »

blackberrygoose,

If you want a competitive Olympic pistol there is only one realistic option, Pardini. (insert angry comments where...) Everything else is a second choice.
They are a dream to shoot, and yes, they come with a spare firing pin. I've never seen one break an extractor, but they are quite cheap and very easy to replace also.

New models offer the multicaliber you want. .22lr + .32 S&W wadcutter or .32 ACP.
The .32 calibers offered have different rims on the cartridge so I suspect they are not interchangeable.
There are two versions of .22, a standard one and a rapid fire version. If you want Olympic shooting, get the latter.

They are quite pricy, but in my opinion they are worth every cent. It only hurts once... (that's what I keep telling myself...)

Hope this helps
David M

Post by David M »

"best all round pistol for olypmic style shooting?" ......there is no such thing.

To shoot the best you need a seperate pistol for each match.

Olympic events
Air pistol for Men's or Womens Air
Rapidfire pistol for the Men's rapid match
Sport pistol for Womens 25m Match

Non Olympic events
Free Pistol for 50m pistol (no longer a Olympic match)
Centrefire pistol or Revolver for 25m Centrefire match (not an Olympic event)
blackberrygoose

So, DavidM what pistols would you recommend for those events? 50 metre free pistol is still an Olympic event. But yes apart from that I agree with you. A separate pistol is needed for each of the Olympic events, yet at most of the clubs around the state and in the amateur circuit there are many events that a .22 /.32 pistol would be great for.

Pardini seems to be the most popular. What problems do people have with Walther?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

blackberrygoose wrote:50 metre free pistol is still an Olympic event.
No it isn't I'm afraid.

The IOC, who are the only organisation that can specify Olympic events, dropped it earlier this year.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I own and have shot both a Pardini and a Benelli extensively. I shoot the Benelli better. I don't know why, but it just suits me better. YMMV (Your marksmanship may vary).

There are plastic buffers in the Benelli that need replacing periodically, and the firing pins break occasionally. I've never seen one break an extractor, and the springs seem to last forever. Properly tuned up, I also find them more reliable with a variety of ammo than Pardinis.
blackberrygoose

OK then. It seems you are right. 50m Free pistol does not a "urban" and "woman friendly" games make. 50 metre prone rifle is gone too. Do you shoot the Benelli in rapid fire events?
David M

Post by David M »

When asked what should I buy my answer is do not rush in and buy too many guns.

Buy the best you can afford to buy as good quality will hold good for a long time.
Train and learn one or two discipline’s only until well mastered.

Buy something that is in current production, that has full parts backup,
that has a local dealer support if service is required.
There are a lot of good old guns around that you cannot or are difficult to get parts for.

Try different pistols to see if they fit you and see how they feel. If the pistol does not fit
then it is useless.

Air pistol any of the major brands will out shoot you, major decision is electronic
or mechanical.

In .22 remember a Rapidfire pistol is built for reduced recoil and sacrifices some accuracy
over a Sport pistol which is more for precision (at the moment electronic triggers in .22 are dead).

Free pistol either a Toz or Morini, the Toz has parts limitations and the Morini is current production.
The Morini is a proven electronic or the Pardini is current production mechanical.

Centrefire, first decision is Pistol or Revolver. 2nd choice is .32 or .38, the .38 is easier to
reload to competition quality.
Make your choice remembering that you will need to learn how to reload and also buy
a press with reloading gear. Factory loads are limited and expensive.

Now you pay money and take your chance..............in one or two years and with lots of ammo
and range time, you will know the answer to your own question.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

Very good advice David. I enjoyed reading your post. I do find it a little frustrating watching the other guys shooting the real cool toys and I’m muddling along with my Ruger. :) But at least I wasn’t ever last. Lol.

But it has given me the opportunity to talk to the guys about their gear and gather opinions, and even shoot a few. Over the years, for the most part, folks in the shooting sport are some of the nicest you’ll meet and always willing to share knowledge and help each other out.

Much like in the forum here.
william

Post by william »

" I would prefer a multi calibre (.22lr rimfire and .32 centrefire) target pistol and I am looking at the weakness (or failures) and strength (features) factors of the top pistols."

Based on that fact, if you don't have a ton (or tonne) of money, you could look for a used Walther GSP. They don't have a bunch of shiny new objects (farkles, thanks, Rover), but excellent sights, triggers & barrels, and plenty of used conversion top ends to be had. The top end is not legally a firearm, so no extra trip to a dealer. The only other one I know that will let you do that is a Hämmerli 280, and they've become rare as hens' teeth.

If it turns out you don't like it, you'll be able to sell with little problem and then go out and get matching Pardinis or Benellis.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

blackberrygoose wrote:OK then. It seems you are right. 50m Free pistol does not a "urban" and "woman friendly" games make. 50 metre prone rifle is gone too. Do you shoot the Benelli in rapid fire events?
I shoot the Benelli in US "bullseye" matches. There are no rapid fire matches to speak of anywhere near me.

The collegiate team I help coach has over 20 Benellis and five new Pardinis. They shoot Standard Pistol and Sport Pistol with them. The Benellis are all at least a decade old (some more than 20 years old), and for the most part, are doing well with routine maintenance. We are having occasional issues with the Pardinis, but it's hard to tell if it's improper or inadequate cleaning & lubrication by the students, a "break-in" issue, or what.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

David M wrote:too many guns
I know what each of these words means in isolation, but I cannot comprehend them in this sequence.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I used to have too many guns, but then I bought a second safe...
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

Gwhite wrote:I used to have too many guns, but then I bought a second safe...
Not to make light of a truly horrible situation and sick, demented person, but I did have a small lift of the eyebrows when the media seemed aghast at the fact this person had that many firearms and over 1000 rounds of ammunition.

They’d likely stroke out if they walked into the rec room of about any competitive shooter, or a person who’s been collecting their entire life.

1000 rounds? That’s two bricks of .22. Big deal.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My wife & I both shoot competitively. I don't bother buying .22's in anything less than case (5000) quantities.

The press considers anything more than two firearms and 100 rounds "an arsenal"...