First 60 Shot Session - How'd I do? (New Sessions Added)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Colorado CJ

First 60 Shot Session - How'd I do? (New Sessions Added)

Post by Colorado CJ »

Last week I picked up a Gamo Compact since I wanted to try out shooting 10 Meter Air Pistol. Within two days, I was already looking for a better pistol.

Well last night I picked up a used (but like new) Pardini K12. Its an awesome pistol, but the medium grip is much too small, I'll have to order a large.

Anyway, after sighting it in and shooting a few targets, I decided to try out my first 60 shot session. I am using Kruger targets and an app on my phone to scan the targets and score my round.

I scored a 510, or a 540.5 if using the decimal scoring.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, and I need to get a grip that fits, but it is going to be a lot of fun!

Here is the scorecard that the scoring app makes, even though it says session 3, it was my first time shooting a 60 shot session, the app was a little hard to figure out.

Image1st Set with Pardini K12 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
Last edited by Colorado CJ on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william

Re: First 60 Shot Session - How'd I do?

Post by william »

"I scored a 510, or a 540.5 if using the decimal scoring." Decimal scoring is only for finals, not the 60 shot match.

Here's a good start at self-evaluation: No bleeding puncture wounds on yourself or others? Ya done good.
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

william wrote:"I scored a 510, or a 540.5 if using the decimal scoring." Decimal scoring is only for finals, not the 60 shot match.

Here's a good start at self-evaluation: No bleeding puncture wounds on yourself or others? Ya done good.
That's good to know, I thought there were just two ways of scoring. Looks like I'll have to do some reading!
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

You've done better at figuring out that app than I have. Nice job on the holes in the paper too. Keep up the good work!
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

jaxontarget wrote:You've done better at figuring out that app than I have. Nice job on the holes in the paper too. Keep up the good work!
I held the targets up to the sky when I took the photos. It worked great and scored the shots very accurately. You just have to select the number of shots per target in the drop down menu on the session setup.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Colorado,

How do you have your sights set, for bullseye, 6:00, or sub-6, and why did you pick what you did?
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

Scrench wrote:Colorado,

How do you have your sights set, for bullseye, 6:00, or sub-6, and why did you pick what you did?
6 o'clock.

I always shot my normal pistols/rifles set right on the bullseye. When I got my Gamo Compact, I first set it up that way. I then read the thread where most set theirs for sub-6 and tried that, but I couldn't get the hold just right with that gap above the top of the sight. So, I set it for a 6 o'clock hold and that seems to work well for me. It makes it easier to see the sights as well since they are on a white background instead of a black background when using a normal bullseye hold.

I am completely new to this though, just one week in, and one day in with the new K12, so I am open to any and all suggestions.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Colorado CJ wrote:
jaxontarget wrote:You've done better at figuring out that app than I have. Nice job on the holes in the paper too. Keep up the good work!
I held the targets up to the sky when I took the photos. It worked great and scored the shots very accurately. You just have to select the number of shots per target in the drop down menu on the session setup.
Yeah, I got that far...just was impressed that you were able to create the presentation page you posted of your session. I haven't gotten that far. Also I tend to get quite a bit of misread shots from uneven tearing of the target where groups form. I wish there were a way to easily correct that without having to rescan and hope it figures it out. I need to use better targets.
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

jaxontarget wrote:
Colorado CJ wrote:
Yeah, I got that far...just was impressed that you were able to create the presentation page you posted of your session. I haven't gotten that far. Also I tend to get quite a bit of misread shots from uneven tearing of the target where groups form. I wish there were a way to easily correct that without having to rescan and hope it figures it out. I need to use better targets.
It gives you a PDF you can save at the end. I just used Photoshop on my computer and saved it as a JPG to post here.

Yeah, good targets help. I am using Kruger targets and I get extremely clean holes, even when holes are overlapping.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Colorado CJ wrote:
jaxontarget wrote:
Colorado CJ wrote:
It gives you a PDF you can save at the end. I just used Photoshop on my computer and saved it as a JPG to post here.

Yeah, good targets help. I am using Kruger targets and I get extremely clean holes, even when holes are overlapping.
Thanks. I didn't notice the option to save a pdf. I'll look for that next time I shoot. Where do you get your targets? Also, is there a way in the app to set up a default session that you can repeat over and over without having to set up the target type and number of shots per target, etc? I tend to shoot the same targets every time, both AP and powder, but seems like I couldn't find a way of having default sessions that were repeatable. Perhaps I need to update the app...not sure of the last time I did.
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

jaxontarget wrote:
Thanks. I didn't notice the option to save a pdf. I'll look for that next time I shoot. Where do you get your targets? Also, is there a way in the app to set up a default session that you can repeat over and over without having to set up the target type and number of shots per target, etc? I tend to shoot the same targets every time, both AP and powder, but seems like I couldn't find a way of having default sessions that were repeatable. Perhaps I need to update the app...not sure of the last time I did.
I got mine right from Kruger's USA store here: http://www.kruger-us-targets.com/index. ... ategory/9/
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

I will order some - thanks. I also figured out how to create a PDF in TargetScan. I did a quickie session 3x10. Argh, I'm a bit rusty!

Just an iPhone capture of the PDF - too lazy to open it in Photoshop.

Here's what's happening with the cheapie targets I get from Midway - I think this is Target 2:

adair

Post by adair »

Well done! This is an excellent first match. I imagine you must have a fair amount of prior shooting experience.

You should consider going to USA Shooting's Winter Airgun Championships in Colorado Springs this December.
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

Thanks, I have a ways to go though. I think I'd of had a better score if the grip fit. The grip was so tight that it was painful, my fingers and hand are still a little sore. I have the large grip on order though.

I'm planning on attending the winter competition at the Olympic Training Center. I'll probably attend the monthly matches there too.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

I'm just starting airpistol as well.... well i did try it once or twice before but actually giving a real go now. Will i see you at the WAG ?
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Have you practiced other shooting sports before taking up AP?
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

Yes, though nothing competitive. I qualified expert marksman in both rifle and pistol at Fort Benning and I'm a long time shooter/reloader.

This is my first time really shooting air pistols and one handed shooting. I normally shoot pistols with a weaver stance.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

jaxontarget wrote:
Here's what's happening with the cheapie targets I get from Midway - I think this is Target 2:

I think I use the same cheap targets. I recommend you place a piece of cardboard behind the target. Use a new piece or section for each target. Won't make it perfect but it will help substantially.
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

Or just buy the Kruger targets I linked. They are cheap, only $12.50 per 250 targets. The holes are perfect, even with a slow 350 fps pellet.
Colorado CJ

Post by Colorado CJ »

I finished a second set today.

Scored a 521, 11 better than yesterday.

Now if I can just get rid of flyers/flinching. I also noticed my groups were much tighter if I changed my grip a certain way. Still somewhat painful to shoot with a much to small grip, so hopefully my score will improve once the large grip arrives.

Here's the scorecard from the scoring app from this mornings session.

Image2st Set with Pardini K12 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr