How Much Does Wind Impact 10 Meter Air Pistol pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ChipEck

How Much Does Wind Impact 10 Meter Air Pistol pellets

Post by ChipEck »

I was under the impression that even a 15 mile per hour breeze would not greatly impact air pistol pellets running about 500 fps. I often shoot in my backyard where I have a 17 foot cedar hedge around my yard. This evening there was literally no breeze and my first 60 shots scored 531. I shot another 60 and got a 532. I shoot a third string and shoot a 531 again. Everything felt the same. The only difference was a total lack of a breeze. Could a switching breeze account for 10 point in a 60 shot string?

Chip
nglitz

Re: How Much Does Wind Impact 10 Meter Air Pistol pellets

Post by nglitz »

I'd have to say that it would blow the shooter around much more than it would affect the pellet's flight.

Practice in the wind will do you good for bullseye shooting at Perry.

Re-reading, you've only got a 1 point difference.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Field target shooters often need to allow a couple of inches at 30 yards for breeze so I would expect quite an impact even at 10m. Our annual outdoor 10m comp was often viewed as more of a fun shoot, especially in the rain. With sand butts as the only backstop the best part was daylight through the pellet holes.
(However 532 minus 531 isnt 10. is there a typo?).
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

On other days, I had been averaging 521.
Chip
stuart

Post by stuart »

In my experience shooting air pistol at 10 meters and free pistol at 50 meters, an across the range wind has more effect on the shooters body than it does on the projectile, if it was only wind effecting the round, a wind from the left would result in a high right hit on the target, wind from the right would result in a low left hit on target. Instead when we shoot outdoors in cross winds we have random hits across the target because of the wind effecting on our balance and our steadiness. My guess 80% effect on the shooters body and 20% on the pellet or round.
So I agree with nglitz.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I will also go with nglitz. Also, in our AP practices, there is frequently a 10 point spread with NO influences. I guess that's how World Records are set.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

ChipEck wrote:my first 60 shots scored 531. I shot another 60 and got a 532. I shoot a third string and shoot a 531 again. Everything felt the same. The only difference was a total lack of a breeze. Could a switching breeze account for 10 point in a 60 shot string?

Chip
To shoot 3 sixty shot series on the trot that consistently is very good, I take my hat off to you. Your stamina training is working well.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

Brian Girling wrote:
ChipEck wrote:my first 60 shots scored 531. I shot another 60 and got a 532. I shoot a third string and shoot a 531 again. Everything felt the same. The only difference was a total lack of a breeze. Could a switching breeze account for 10 point in a 60 shot string?

Chip
To shoot 3 sixty shot series on the trot that consistently is very good, I take my hat off to you. Your stamina training is working well.
what he said.... after sighters,60 shots, and an additional 20 in my make believe final i'm pooped =[