Quote from the Pellet Master

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Quote from the Pellet Master

Post by Rover »

"I am ignoring the psychological effects of your belief system. If you believe that (pellet) X will help you shoot better, the placebo effect will ensure that if you are denied X, you will shoot worse. So if your belief system places great importance on pellet brand, lot, size, weight etc. then by all means this will have an effect on your shooting." Steve Swartz

"placebo effect will ensure that if you are denied X, you will shoot worse" (Not that you will shoot BETTER with the "best" pellet.)

A subtle difference I LIKE a lot!
Joe58

Re: Quote from the Pellet Master

Post by Joe58 »

Lost me a tad (easy to do) on this one Rover.

So is he saying that about any old pellet will do, as most of pellet accuracy is just between your ears?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Pretty much. But mainly he's saying don't let the "psych" factor fool you.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen on here that you must buy the "best" pellet because you BELIEVE you'll win.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

I would agree with that to a degree as I feel there is a difference in pellet quality from the “big name” brands than say, Crosman’s from Walmart. Not to put a knock on Crosman, as they’re decent plinking pellets, but out of a match quality gun, I would believe that a match pellet will produce tighter, more consistent groups. Or one heckuva a lot of people are wasting a ton of money. :) Myself included.

But in shooting, it is pretty easy to get inside your head and start running around in circles with constant testing, tinkering with gear, stances, glasses, etc. etc.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Das kugelmeister!
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

In a similar vein I've always said that a positive attitude doesn't guarantee success, but a negative attitude pretty much guarantees failure.
scerir

Post by scerir »

SteveT wrote: ..... a negative attitude pretty much guarantees failure.
This is called "nocebo" effect. s.
william

Post by william »

nglitz wrote:Das kugelmeister!
I'm sure der Kugelmeister will be happy to be made neuter by your German.
Rover

Post by Rover »

At least it's not Die Kugelmeister.
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

That would be Die Kugelmeisterin.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Rune Kanstad wrote:That would be Die Kugelmeisterin.
Unless IT is something like Caitlyn Jenner.
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

That would be Das Kugelmeister.
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

Joe58 wrote:I would agree with that to a degree as I feel there is a difference in pellet quality from the “big name” brands than say, Crosman’s from Walmart. Not to put a knock on Crosman, as they’re decent plinking pellets, but out of a match quality gun, I would believe that a match pellet will produce tighter, more consistent groups. Or one heckuva a lot of people are wasting a ton of money. :) Myself included.

But in shooting, it is pretty easy to get inside your head and start running around in circles with constant testing, tinkering with gear, stances, glasses, etc. etc.
Funny.
When my kid first started 10M 3PAR with JROTC, I bought him one of those $100 CMP Daisy 753 SSP's.
I got a tin of basic Crosman wadcutters from the shelf of WalMart before the Meisterkugelns match pellets showed up in the mail.
Offhand at 35M, I could hit a tin can about 90% with the Crosmans and maybe 50% of the time with the Meisterkugelns.
Hardly scientific but it did make me wonder...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
Rover

Post by Rover »

Odd, but I shot my first 100 (on one target which I saved) using Crosman's and a FWB65.

I now use cheap RWS Basics almost exclusively in my three APs.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

gspell68 wrote:
Joe58 wrote:I would agree with that to a degree as I feel there is a difference in pellet quality from the “big name” brands than say, Crosman’s from Walmart. Not to put a knock on Crosman, as they’re decent plinking pellets, but out of a match quality gun, I would believe that a match pellet will produce tighter, more consistent groups. Or one heckuva a lot of people are wasting a ton of money. :) Myself included.

Funny.
When my kid first started 10M 3PAR with JROTC, I bought him one of those $100 CMP Daisy 753 SSP's.
I got a tin of basic Crosman wadcutters from the shelf of WalMart before the Meisterkugelns match pellets showed up in the mail.
Offhand at 35M, I could hit a tin can about 90% with the Crosmans and maybe 50% of the time with the Meisterkugelns.
Hardly scientific but it did make me wonder...
I suspect the Crosman's were heavier. 35 meters is along haul for a light wadcutter pellet, especially if there is any breeze.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Odd, but I shot my first 100 (on one target which I saved) using Crosman's and a FWB65.

I now use cheap RWS Basics almost exclusively in my three APs.
I haven't managed ten consecutive tens yet, but have not found any difference in my scores when using either R10 or Geco diabolo.

The most obvious difference is that one costs AUD $20 and the other AUD $8.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

A decent gun deserves decent pellets .

A champion shooter whom I met recently stressed that to practice , one should should ninety five percent 'dry fire' and only five percent live pellets.
His theory is that our subconscious registers every shot good or bad , and it influences our shooting .
The advantage of dry shooting where one perfects sight alignment and trigger release is that no negative scores are stored in the subconscious .
That made me think of all the 'live practice' sessions where I used up cartons of pellets only to store a big cache of bad shots in my subconscious that have a sneaky way of creeping into my match performance .

So , buy decent pellets and do lots of 'dry fire' to save money.

Elmas
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If I'm going to dry fire, I prefer to do it by not shooting really expensive match pellets. Not shooting cheap pellets when dry firing is a false economy. ;)
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Gwhite wrote:If I'm going to dry fire, I prefer to do it by not shooting really expensive match pellets. Not shooting cheap pellets when dry firing is a false economy. ;)

Funny ! I'm sure you got my point !
Leadbelly

Post by Leadbelly »

My only comment is I have found cheap pellets were NOT very CLEAN.