Bad cylinder

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Bad cylinder

Post by Rover »

Does anyone have a clue where I might have a cylinder for a SAM10 AP repaired.

It leaks at the valve end, has manometer, made by Anschutz, no date on it.
william

Re: Bad cylinder

Post by william »

Rover wrote:Does anyone have a clue where I might have a cylinder for a SAM10 AP repaired.

It leaks at the valve end, has manometer, made by Anschutz, no date on it.
Can't be fixed. Replacement cylinders are incompatible. It's only a matter of time before the regulator fails. You're doomed. I'll give you $50 +$25 for Priority Mail - a whole lot more than its scrap value. Just doin' ya a favor, old friend. You know how to reach me.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I had the same problem with my SAM M5. Fixed easily by unscrewing the ends and replaced the o rings.
One cylinder had the plastic valve broken but I machined one from a piece of delron which works perfectly.

Failing the home repair you can contact Marco Dolina at SAM.

http://www.samlugano.ch/

New cylinder 175 swiss francs. Three different lengths.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Thanks for the info, guys. Keep it coming.

Deadeye, I tried to unscrew the "bad" end with a wrench and my bare hands, but it wouldn't budge. I was afraid it might have a reverse thread, so didn't go further. Any advice?
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

I had to put mine in a lathe to get the end caps off. Normal threads. Used a cresent wrench. Unscrewed easy. I have an early MG1. 2 end caps no guage. I was able to get new end caps for mine from morini. There isn't much there to go wrong. A small steel valve like in a car cylinder head. And I mean small. Some sort of phenolic spacer and a spring. I think I bent the valve in the end cap by screwing it into the fill adapter too far when refilling. I think the "M" in SAM is for morini. Meaning morini of match guns fame. Everyone wants to sell you new cylinders cus of the expiration thing. Try to get new end caps or repair yours. I couldn't repair mine. So I was able to get new end caps. Good luck.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Make sure all air is expelled first or nothing will move. Wrap some masking tape around the cylinder for protection and clamp it in a lathe chuck. Then use a good quality adjustable wrench to loosen the end.

It will not be difficult to undo, however as mentioned earlier if there is any pressure still in the cylinder nothing will budge it.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Thanks, Deadeye.....I tried your suggestion, but couldn't budge the damn thing.

OTOH Your tip on where to send it for repair got me a response this morning from Switzerland saying, "Send it here.", so I will.

It is SUCH a beautiful, sophisticated gun I couldn't bear to toss it in a drawer.
coa878

Post by coa878 »

Hello, I recently bought a SAM K15 for pennies because it had 2 bad air Cylinders i found it cheaper to buy new ones from http://www.10punkt9.de hopefully that helps
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Thanks, Deadeye.....I tried your suggestion, but couldn't budge the damn thing.

OTOH Your tip on where to send it for repair got me a response this morning from Switzerland saying, "Send it here.", so I will.

It is SUCH a beautiful, sophisticated gun I couldn't bear to toss it in a drawer.

I feel the same way about mine. Great news it’s going to be fixed !
Rover

Post by Rover »

Thanks, COA, I put that one in my archive "just in case."

It's the way I would go if I didn't suspect some other issues with this 20+ year old gun.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

i am not very sure but i think matchguns air cylinders fit sam airguns. designer is the same for all 3 (sam-anschutz M10, SAM K11, Matchguns MG-1).
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I had hoped that may be the case as well however a friend of mine shoots an MG1 and they are not even close.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

perhaps then only k11 and mg1 are compatible. who knows. thanks for the info deadeyedick !
joel

Post by joel »

Rover wrote:Thanks for the info, guys. Keep it coming.

Deadeye, I tried to unscrew the "bad" end with a wrench and my bare hands, but it wouldn't budge. I was afraid it might have a reverse thread, so didn't go further. Any advice?
Try using a heat gun around the threads and perhaps the aluminum tube will expand and allow you to unscrew it.

Joel
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote:It's the way I would go if I didn't suspect some other issues with this 20+ year old gun.
Rover,

You can get all the parts you need from http://www.samlugano.ch/ as deadeyedick said.
I recently worked on a M10 that was leaking. I ordered the complete seal kit. It was a bit expensive with the conversion from € to suiss franc (enormous bank fees), plus the shipping.
Total costs was about 80€ for a packet of o-rings and valve seal. Some are odd shaped (square) and I could not find adequate replacements locally.
The one that had to really be replaced was the valve seat, and I could not find a replacement anywhere else.

It is still hurting the owner's wallet, but the gun is as new now...

Hope this helps.