Hammerli 208: Buying Tips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Razzmatazz

Hammerli 208: Buying Tips

Post by Razzmatazz »

I'd like to buy a Hammerli 208 and have been looking, for example, at gunbroker, armslist, larrysguns, and 1stclassfirearms.

It appears that the sweet spot of current pricing is roughly $1,200 to $1,500. Incredibly, the 208s is $1,500+ more, and I am having a hard time justifying that just to get the more adjustable, two-stage trigger.

This will not be a safe queen--I plan to shoot the gun actively and to take good care of it. On the other hand, I'd like it to hold as much of its value as possible.

So, I am wondering if it's worth paying a few hundred dollars extra for the tool kit and box or not. Shall I save the money and just buy the tools in need separately? Is there anything in the tool kit that is not available "a la carte"?
Tycho

Re: Hammerli 208: Buying Tips

Post by Tycho »

IMO, toolkit and box are nice to have, but not necessary. If you don't got for 208S, look for a third series 208 with the newer trigger system. There were several different trigger systems, and the last one before the S model is significantly better than the older ones. You can tell by the first stage adjustment screw, accessible through the mag well, from above. You can tell the difference from the outside, if you know what you're looking for.
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

I bought a used, 1970's 208 a month ago. It was a good deal at $1100 with three magazines. Unfortunately, the frame had a crack at the recoil spring recess. I believe this is because the recoil spring weakens due to wear and the spring guide impacts the frame at each shot. Keeping a good recoil spring in the gun fixes that problem. Also, I never could figure out how to get the recoil spring out of that gun along with the spring guide. Part of the problem may have been that I could not find a manual for that earlier model.

I returned the gun to the seller for a refund. Having the frame repaired using micro fiber optic welding was an option I considered, but decided not to experiment on the gun. The serial number was in the 26XXX range. The newer versions coincide with the manuals available (online) and the improved trigger system is also available for the 208 (not just the 208s). I did not send the gun to Larry's or ask them about a repair of the frame or how to get that worn recoil spring out. The previous owner did not take good care of the gun IMO since the recoil spring had worn flats in several spots along it's length - or maybe they were just uninformed.

I'm thinking about getting another, since they are well made. But condition and how they are cared for makes a big difference. Be aware of the cracked frame problem.
6string

Post by 6string »

Whether it be a 208, 208s, 240, or an old model 100 Free pistol, buying a used Hämmerli is all about condition. None of them take well to careless negligence or abuse.
Look at the breechface of the slide, the chamber area of the barrel/receiver, all the places involved in the reciprocating of the slide. This will give you an idea of round count. Pop off the slide and grips and look at the area of the trigger and transfer bar.... How much dirt and crud are under there?

$800-1000 on a beat up, neglected 208 is a bad deal compared to twice that for one that's closer to mint.
Save your $$$ and get a NICE one!

Best Wishes,
Jim
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I purchased a very nice 208 a couple of years ago, it's a very nice pistol, but I have always wanted the two-stage trigger, which I have in some other of my target 22s. I recently purchased a 208 S in like new condition. Whether or not it's worth the extra money to you is probably something only you can answer, but I was able to convince myself.

I doubt you will be disappointed whichever way you go
patro5

Post by patro5 »

The best way to avoid this type of cracked frame is to pull down the front of the trigger guard and insert a good quality rubber block, the trigger guard then holds the rubber in place, you get a nice smooth recoil and no cracked frame, you may have to experiment with size of the rubber, and the type you may want to use.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

CCI worked fine in my 208s. In many cases amateur gunsmiths attempt altering the opening dimensions of the magazines which results in most feeding problems.

The first pistol I owned was a 208 and I have owned two 208s since.. Do yourself a favour and buy a 208s instead of the standard 208... both good ( although dated in their rake angle) however the "s" is far more desirable.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

All of the above, but honestly for that sort of price I would be looking at a Pardini or AW93. :-)
Image Image
joel

Post by joel »

You can usually get a 215s for a better price and the only thing you are giving up is a nicer finish.

Joel
scerir

Post by scerir »

Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You can get a nice 3rd series 208, or a 208S (same trigger, except that the S is adjustable in length) for less than €400 here in Europe, but that is obviously a different market.
All of the above, but honestly for that sort of price I would be looking at a Pardini or AW93. :-)
Comparing a Pardini to a 208 speaks volumes about the person doing it. I don't like your Grand Cherokee, so I recommend that you buy a Toyota Supra. Excellent advice. And that FWB bought the wrong design from KHR is a well-known fact, so beside the different grip angle and balance, it's IMO not a very good pistol (obviously, YMMV).
Razzmatazz

Post by Razzmatazz »

Those European prices are mouth watering! Too bad the process for an individual in the US to import a handgun from Europe appears to be so complicated, can take months, is expensive ($500+ for the first gun, but at those purchase prices maybe it's worth it!), relies on government bureaucrats, and is not even guaranteed to work.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/information.php?info_id=4
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Razzmatazz wrote:Those European prices are mouth watering! Too bad the process for an individual in the US to import a handgun from Europe appears to be so complicated, can take months, is expensive ($500+ for the first gun, but at those purchase prices maybe it's worth it!), relies on government bureaucrats, and is not even guaranteed to work.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/information.php?info_id=4
I haven't done it lately, but I did buy a few pistols from an Australian dealer, using ATF Form 6. My local FFL charged me $50 to do the transfer.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Razzmatazz wrote:Those European prices are mouth watering!
To the rest of us (the rest of the World) it's the US prices for old Hammerlis that are out of whack. For instance, in New Zeland they sell for about 1/3 of what they do in US. Yes they are beautifully made (my wife shot a 208s in the 1990s), but the design simply don't cut it these days if your goal is competitive shooting. You can't give away a 150/152/160/162 free pistol here, no one will touch them.
renzo

Post by renzo »

j-team wrote:
Razzmatazz wrote:Those European prices are mouth watering!
To the rest of us (the rest of the World) it's the US prices for old Hammerlis that are out of whack. For instance, in New Zeland they sell for about 1/3 of what they do in US. Yes they are beautifully made (my wife shot a 208s in the 1990s), but the design simply don't cut it these days if your goal is competitive shooting. You can't give away a 150/152/160/162 free pistol here, no one will touch them.
You mean they dont`t like them any more?

Strange!
Razzmatazz

Post by Razzmatazz »

For the advice to "Look for a third series 208 with the newer trigger system"...when buying online how can this be determined, maybe by serial number or year of production?

I've been trying to figure out what the first year of production of the 208s was, since some 208 advertisements list the year of manufacture of the gun being advertised, as a way to figure out if the 208 being sold might be a "third series" model.
j-team

Post by j-team »

renzo wrote:

Strange!
With the 152/162 there is no support for the elctronics (if it fails you have a paper weight). 150/160 just not common or popular.
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

j-team wrote:
renzo wrote:

Strange!
With the 152/162 there is no support for the elctronics (if it fails you have a paper weight). 150/160 just not common or popular.

This is one of the reasons I don't like to buy an electronic trigger competition pistol or rifle. Obsolescence, much like any other electronics, is built-in. Personally, I see electronic triggers as a gimmick. But, what wins is what sells.