Question about recoil?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
old sparky

Question about recoil?

Post by old sparky »

Recoil question Something I have found with my anemic FAS 6004 that is when the trigger is squeezed correctly there is no movement noticed in my sight picture. A bad executed trigger pull really is seen as I watch my sights. So the FAS is really helping me there. I shot a few shots with a FWB P I think it was 11 anyway I was surprised there was enough recoil that a poor trigger is not as noticeable. Is that something common to most PCP pistols? I have never shot any other PCP pistol. I see some pistols are marketed with vents to reduce muzzle movement do these keep the pistol recoiless? Or will movement be evident with velocity increase?

Thanks for your replies.
TenMetrePeter

Re: Question about recoil?

Post by TenMetrePeter »

A properly designed air pistol with compensation device should have zero recoil. PCP pistols have more scope for air driven compensator devices than SSP. Eg metal slug in FWB P34 etc.

Top end PCP with recoil is maybe wound up too high on power.

Ported barrels and vented perforated attachments such as those on FWB P34 appear to be no longer allowed in ISSF pistol rules specification table. Comments from equipment control ofgicers would be valuable.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Ported barrels and vented perforated attachments such as those on FWB P34 appear to be no longer allowed in ISSF pistol rules specification table.
The Steyr Evo, FWB P8X, Pardini also have ported barrels and muzzle compensators... They will no longer be allowed to be used in ISSF competitions?...
rmca

Post by rmca »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Ported barrels and vented perforated attachments such as those on FWB P34 appear to be no longer allowed in ISSF pistol rules specification table. Comments from equipment control ofgicers would be valuable.
For 25m Rimfire Pistol and 25m Center Fire Pistol.
8.12 Compensators, muzzle brakes, perforated barrels or any device(s) functioning in a similar manner are not allowed.

In air pistol they are legal.

Hope this helps
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Ha! Sorry. Says "allowed" but I cynically read "not allowed" in the 10m section. Unusual to be so helpful when its mostly thou shalt not in the rules.
old sparky

Post by old sparky »

Thanks for the information on the rules. I have only shot in weekly club matches where the rules are relaxed to encourage participation. Unfortunately the matches are on a day I have a commitment and can’t make it there during the school year. So I am not around other air pistols that I can try. The only PCP pistol I have shot is the FWB I mentioned. I plan to purchase one pretty quick and am trying to gather pertinent information. The recoil or barrel movement is something I don’t want. I see the current Steyrs are advertised to have barrel vents that stabilize the shot. Do they keep the gun still. I am making the assumption that the longer LP10 would be the most still with the LP50 HP compact moving the most. That seems reasonable in my mind but is that the way it is?

thanks
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

That's certainly the trend. Some pistols have active recoil dampers (like the LP10). I shoot a Morini 162EI, which does not, but has a vented shroud. It has very little recoil, and I don't even notice it anymore. In theory, most of the venting on air pistols is there to strip off the escaping gasses so the turbulence doesn't disturb the flight of the pellet. It's not primarily a recoil damping device, although they may help a little.
old sparky

Post by old sparky »

Gwhite wrote:In theory, most of the venting on air pistols is there to strip off the escaping gasses so the turbulence doesn't disturb the flight of the pellet. It's not primarily a recoil damping device, although they may help a little.

Thats interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you.
Rover

Post by Rover »

old sparky wrote:
Gwhite wrote:In theory, most of the venting on air pistols is there to strip off the escaping gasses so the turbulence doesn't disturb the flight of the pellet. It's not primarily a recoil damping device, although they may help a little.

Thats interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you.
Also, by the time they DO work the pellet has left the barrel. IMHO most "recoil" is caused by the shooter.
David M

Post by David M »

Recoil....air pistols don't have recoil.
A fully loaded Colt Dragoon or Walker, now you have recoil.