ELY pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Re: ELY pellets

Post by william »

Rover wrote:You would want the lead from both sides of the equator to negate the Coriolis effect on the pellet spin.
I question your hypothesis. I suspect that the Coriolis forces would not cancel but will translate roll into some combination of pitch and yaw. Pellets may very well start tumbling right out of the barrel.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You may be right. We get many posts here saying that their pellets are hitting the target sideways.

How careless of me, ignoring this anecdotal evidence. I may have my Physics Doctorate revoked.
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

Of course all of this is ok only on a theoretically spherical Earth !
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

It's my guess that as long as we shoot 10 m we can safely assume that the Earth is spherical in shape. Now, if it were a 25 m range it might be another kettle of fish altogether...
william

Post by william »

This thread is dealing with some of the best science seen on these forums since the disappearance of the famous Romanian (or was he Albanian?) physicist (or was he a physician?) Dr. I. Lirpa.
Rover

Post by Rover »

As an afterthought: I buy sleeves of pellets from different lots. By storing the sleeves together, with their slightly different atomic structure, each sleeve will interfere with the others for a "negative" and "positive" effect. I then select the "positive" pellets and sell the rest.

This effect may be easily found by testing each lot. You will ALWAYS find one lot to have superior accuracy over the others. I can't be sure, but I think dark matter or energy may be exerting an effect as well.
David M

Post by David M »

But you have to test 100% of all pellets,
then melt them down for Blackpowder........Balls
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

I just received an email from Creedmore trying to sell Eley pellets at the bargain price of $16.95/450! Act now, they may sell out fast!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Since Umarex started packaging RWS BASIC 300 pellets in a tin, I wonder what they do with the other 200.

You don't suppose they are rebranding them as ELEY in fancy packaging for exorbitant prices, do you?

BTW I was rummaging in a cabinet at the airgun range yesterday and found an open ELEY tin. I was tempted to steal them and test them, but good sense got the better of me.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

David M wrote:But you have to test 100% of all pellets,
then melt them down for Blackpowder........Balls
Round, I hope...I'm not sure I'd trust the alloy in them for a Minie.
metman

Post by metman »

Rover wrote:As an afterthought: I buy sleeves of pellets from different lots. By storing the sleeves together, with their slightly different atomic structure, each sleeve will interfere with the others for a "negative" and "positive" effect. I then select the "positive" pellets and sell the rest.

This effect may be easily found by testing each lot. You will ALWAYS find one lot to have superior accuracy over the others. I can't be sure, but I think dark matter or energy may be exerting an effect as well.
Ah, but what about the nuclear spin? Lead atoms may not have it but the alloy will have other metals like tin that can have non-zero spin that won't get cancelled out by storing different lots together.
This must be taken in account when considering barrel twist - LH or RH, gain or constant - and will inevitably affect accuracy.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Schrodinger's pellet? It's either a ten, or it's not a 10. You can't find out until you shoot it....