5 shot air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jerber

5 shot air pistol

Post by jerber »

Lately I have been interested in the 25m rapid fire
I've also been thinking of getting a new air pistol
After seeing a 5 shot AP from FWB and Styer
I'm wondering if I should get one of them
I've also been doing some research on 5 shot AP and looks like there's an ISSF discipline in that category
I never knew it was a competitive match
So is this something big in Europe? Internationally?
How about the USA?
I'm also wondering why aren't there more manufacturer that makes a 5 shot AP
I think Walther used to make one?
I am looking at the Styer lp 50 compact
Is there any other choices?
Thanks Jerry
Frenzy81

Re: 5 shot air pistol

Post by Frenzy81 »

jerber wrote:So is this something big in Europe? Internationally?
To my understanding it's not big, but it exists. I've shot both 40 shot falling plates and 40 shot standard air in both Norway and Scotland (natl champs). In Norway they're not super-popular, only a few clubs have competitions (especially because the falling plates demand a special target).

Falling plates use biathlon-like targets, very much like rapid fire pistol:
http://www.melhuspistolklubb.no/wp-cont ... r_luft.png
http://askimpk.no/wp-content/uploads/20 ... MG0011.jpg

Standard air is 40 shots to a standard 10m precicion target. In Norway we shoot the program as 8 series of 5 shots, each 10 seconds. But in Scotland they scaled down the 25m standard pistol program from 60 to 30 shots - 2x 5 shots 150 seconds, 2x 5 shots 20 seconds, 2x 5 shots 10 seconds. I don't know what's correct, or whether there is an ISSF description of these events.
jerber

Post by jerber »

Thanks for your input
I would of assume that it would be more popular
I guess that's why there's not many 5 shot AP?
But what about training with a 5 shot AP for the 25 m rapid fire?
Do many people train with an AP?
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

jerber wrote:Thanks for your input
I would of assume that it would be more popular
I guess that's why there's not many 5 shot AP?
But what about training with a 5 shot AP for the 25 m rapid fire?
Do many people train with an AP?
Same question for me. Moving from California to Prescott, AZ and looking for NRA Precision, aka Bullseye,, and not finding much. I see that Phoenix Rod and Gun Club does some ISSF standard pistol (rapid fire pistol too?) as well as bullseye and wondered if I might set up a reduced range at 10m in my garage for both standard pistol and rapid fire. Already have BRNO Aeron 5 shot pistol, wondering if it would be worthwhile to get familiar with the ISSF game in my garage. Comments? Suggestions?
renzo

Post by renzo »

FWIW, a month ago I was talking at the Air National Championships in my country with a fellow shooter (a good one) who won CFP gold in the 1995 PAG, and he told me that nowadays, the only way he can keep himself in shape for CFP, STP and SP is by training with a Steyr LP-5, at the full 25 meter range.

He says that he had to fiddle a little with the regulator to get some more velocity but when the shot is right, it goes right, no matter the 2 1/2 excess distance.

He has also shot 566 in FP in national championships, so I have to take his word for valid.....................
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

Seems it'd be a pretty limited field of competitors given that multi-shot world class air pistols aren't in great demand (just a guess) and the cost has to be pretty prohibitive. But I'm just speculating.

Are there match videos?
jerber

Post by jerber »

Joe58 wrote:Seems it'd be a pretty limited field of competitors given that multi-shot world class air pistols aren't in great demand (just a guess) and the cost has to be pretty prohibitive. But I'm just speculating.

Are there match videos?
Must not be very popular like you said about the demand
I tried to search for videos and only a couple that poped out but it's just somebody showing his training
I think I might get one for training purposes
Seems like the Steyr lp50 compact is the one to get
rigwhanson

Post by rigwhanson »

I have a LP-50 compact and a Sius HS-10 electronic target. I have found it very worthwhile to practice with to improve my bullseye shooting at both 50 and 25 yds. However I have put a 3 1/2 lb spring in it to practice with. The Sius software has in it the capability to show a 50 or 25 yd NRA target. It also has the capability to scale the scoring rings so that they score accurately at 10 meters for what the targets would be at 50 and 25 yds. I find that shooting on it is just the same as shooting the powder guns at the regular full distance and the scores will be the same. So I find that it simulates the NRA shooting very well just leaves out the recoil. It made the difference for me to go from SS to EX. I didn't start shooting pistol and bullseye until I was 59 which is a little late to start and initially did not really practice. I finally decided that to really improve practice would be required. So I started to dry fire and to do some light weight lifting and wrist exercises with a weight on a string tied to a rod to wind it up. The LP and Sius got me over the hump when it came to snatching the shots especially in rapid fire with the 45. But I do still revert to the snatch when I have not shot in a while. When this happens getting on the LP and Sius solves that problem. Expensive but it worked for me could be done without the Sius just more work to score.
RGw
BigStick

Post by BigStick »

Steyr just released a newer version of the LP50- the "High Power". I picked one up from Pilk's a few months ago & its Awesome! Really hammers the steel silhouettes. Mine has the "universal" ambi grip. pic....

TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

There was some doubt in the UK whether the LP50 was a prohibited self loading weapon and police raided Steyr UK. I understand from an owner (though NSRA website hasn't been updated) that it is now recognised as "self indexing" not "self loading" and is not prohibited or FAC. It would be good if someone could confirm the ruling with a link but I can't find one.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TenMetrePeter wrote:....and police raided Steyr UK.
It would be stretching things a bit to call it a raid. They received a telephone call telling them that the guns would be collected, which they were, without any drama.
TenMetrePeter wrote:(though NSRA website hasn't been updated)
Are you talking about the announcement linked to on the Home page of the NSRA web site?
TenMetrePeter wrote:.....it is now recognised as "self indexing" not "self loading" and is not prohibited or FAC.
The letter from the police did not mention "self indexing". It did say that it was not "self loading" and was below the 6ft.lb. limit.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Sorry I couldnt find that June update even thru a search and I normally can navigate round the site. My bad. Anyway good news.

It was reported as a raid by some! If smeone from the plod comes to your office and asks for your tax files or your PC it's a raid in my book.

No, the self indexing bit was from the owner and she was told by email by your mob, the BPC, that Steyr had been informed by plod that it wasnt self loading. I havent seen the email but shes a bright girl so I accept her interpretation. If it isnt self loading but has a mag that is moved by a previous shot so I guess it is self indexing by definition. Semantics but in this case used to our benefit for a change.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TenMetrePeter wrote:It was reported as a raid by some! If smeone from the plod comes to your office and asks for your tax files or your PC it's a raid in my book.
A different interpretation. If you receive a telephone call asking for an appointment a few days later to pick up items being discussed, "raid" is stretching things a bit.
TenMetrePeter wrote: No, the self indexing bit was from the owner and she was told by email by your mob, the BPC, that Steyr had been informed by plod that it wasnt self loading.
My "mob" circulated Steyr-UK's announcement saying that they'd been told that the guns were self-indexing and not self-loading. As I said however, the official letter from the police did not mention "self indexing".

I agree; semantics worked in our favour.