TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New Air Pistol Question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Miami
For a new CM162M pistol

what is the best lubricant brand and maintenance cycle for it? the user manual has zero info

thank you in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 688
Location: Costa Rica, Central America
I’ll chime in... I suppose your pistol is the mechanical version. All match pcp airpistols are pretty much maintenance free and only require very little lubrication. Being a new gun, you should first clean the bore with some cotton patches.

Use a small dab of Superlube grease or Feinwerkbau “special grease” on the bolt o-ring and on the threads of the air cylinders. Clean and regrease when necessary, DO NOT over lube.

Wipe down the barrel and metal parts with an oily rag after each trip to the range. (I use CorrosionX, but would recommend Ballistol). The bore does not need to be cleaned unless if you’re not going to use your pistol for an extended period of time. I also throw in a silica gel desiccant packet in my case for peace of mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:09 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Nebraska
Just wanted to pop in with a question on cleaning the barrel then. You're recommending not to mess with the barrel cleaning at all if it is fired regularly?

If going to be stored for awhile, perhaps a cleaning pellet with a dab of oil, then several dry pellets before firing?

That all sound ok?

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 688
Location: Costa Rica, Central America
Joe58 wrote:
Just wanted to pop in with a question on cleaning the barrel then. You're recommending not to mess with the barrel cleaning at all if it is fired regularly?


Yup, don’t mess with the BORE when your gun is fired regularly, unless accuracy suffers.


Joe58 wrote:
If going to be stored for awhile, perhaps a cleaning pellet with a dab of oil, then several dry pellets before firing? That all sound ok? Thanks!


Yes, that would do. However, I like to use a cotton patch instead of a cleaning pellet...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:09 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Nebraska
kevinweiho wrote:
Joe58 wrote:
Just wanted to pop in with a question on cleaning the barrel then. You're recommending not to mess with the barrel cleaning at all if it is fired regularly?



Yes, that would do. However, I like to use a cotton patch instead of a cleaning pellet...


*Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread. I just felt the info is relevant to the original question.

I've also heard that one should not use a standard cleaning rod due to air gun barrels being a bit "softer" as compared to power burners.

So a wooden dowel or maybe one of those kind using weed whacker string then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 688
Location: Costa Rica, Central America
Joe58 wrote:
I've also heard that one should not use a standard cleaning rod due to air gun barrels being a bit "softer" as compared to power burners. So a wooden dowel or maybe one of those kind using weed whacker string then?

Yes, the steel used in airgun barrels is softer than the powder burners. You can go the cheapo route and use a weed whacker line to pull the patch from breech to muzzle, but you must be careful not to damage the crown.

I currently use an 18” Lewis crown saver pull thru for my air pistols.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 am
Posts: 71
Location: Copperhill Tennessee 37317
SILICONE OIL ONLY. Never use petroleum-based oils as these have solvents which will immediately degrade the seals.

Super-Lube: Silicone Oil (100cst - "centistokes" viscosity), part#56104. Readily available for under $10.

Silicone Oil being "Poly-Dimethyl-Siloxane" for the techie's out there. Basically food-grade liquid polymerized silicone oil. Definitely doesn't stink like synthetic petroleum-based oil.

I'd recommend VERY SPARINGLY use on a felt-pellet (VFG-Quick Cleaning Pellets, part#66793). And we're talking oil on the felt pellet - Once in a Blue Moon. With frequent shooting, running dry felt pellets, you should be "Good-to-Go!".

Air pistol barrels generally won't lead-up, like firearms. Melting point of lead being 621.5f, there's not enough barrel friction at 500feet/second to smear the lead.

External oil frequently is okay. For example, here in the Tennessee Appalachians, I keep my pistols inside (nice&cool). Take them outside into the heat & humidity, and Voile' - condensation. Done with shooting - entire outside of pistol gets a coat of silicone oil on a cotton cleaning patch.

PATCHWORM for running patch thru barrel. Avoid cleaning rod, if ever!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:09 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Nebraska
Thanks guys for the tips. Much appreciated! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 am
Posts: 71
Location: Copperhill Tennessee 37317
Champions Choice in LaVerge TN has the "Patch Worm" set-up for a few bucks. Called "Pocket Field Kit" -universal firearms cleaner-. (From 20/20 concepts, their site: www-patchwormDOTcom).

It's a green plastic line with adapters for .20, .22, .243-.284, .308-.348, .355-.400, .41-.45, and a 12-gauge disk.

I use this for ALL my barrels. I pulls patches thru Bore-to-Barrel, leaving the crown intact. ALL barrels means both rifle and pistol. I avoid the cleaning rod and brass brushes as much as possible.

((Experimenting with an OTIS product that will pull thru a brass-brush Bore-to-Barrel, attempting to eliminate cleaning rods almost completely.)

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:48 am
Posts: 459
Location: Aotearoa/NZ
As for maintenance we have club pistols that have never seen a refurb after 10 years of being thrashed by juniors and still go fine.
Eh, don't really need much just on the external blued and phosphated surfaces. There is quite a lot of dissimilar metals on the 162 model, if you are not careful there are a few places that do rust (have seen on club pistols)

Grub screws that hold the barrel in can get crusty (dissimilar metals).
Rear plate under the grip that holds the guts of the gun in.
Barrel
Cocking lever.

All those places I give mine a wipe once a week with CorrosionX Aviation which is good for dissimilar metals. I don't clean the inside of my barrel. If you must: use felt wads.

Places that need regular lubing, none really. There is quite a lot of grease in the right places on a Morini from the factory, if you smudge that back into the places that it should, maybe quarterly, be then you usually good to go.
The camming surface and pivot on the cocking lever need a bit of grease. For low performance applications, low pressure/speed/friction almost any grease would work. Probably even margarine would work. I use grease out of a STGW57 kit.

There is one other place that needs greasing very sparingly, and that is the threads for the cylinder - if you feel it dry and galling make sure you put a tiny smudge on the adapter and then screw it into the air pistol bottle.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Miami
kevinweiho wrote:
I’ll chime in... I suppose your pistol is the mechanical version. All match pcp airpistols are pretty much maintenance free and only require very little lubrication. Being a new gun, you should first clean the bore with some cotton patches.

Use a small dab of Superlube grease or Feinwerkbau “special grease” on the bolt o-ring and on the threads of the air cylinders. Clean and regrease when necessary, DO NOT over lube.

Wipe down the barrel and metal parts with an oily rag after each trip to the range. (I use CorrosionX, but would recommend Ballistol). The bore does not need to be cleaned unless if you’re not going to use your pistol for an extended period of time. I also throw in a silica gel desiccant packet in my case for peace of mind.

Thank you for your info! I greatly appreciate it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Miami
atomicgale wrote:
SILICONE OIL ONLY. Never use petroleum-based oils as these have solvents which will immediately degrade the seals.

Super-Lube: Silicone Oil (100cst - "centistokes" viscosity), part#56104. Readily available for under $10.

Silicone Oil being "Poly-Dimethyl-Siloxane" for the techie's out there. Basically food-grade liquid polymerized silicone oil. Definitely doesn't stink like synthetic petroleum-based oil.

I'd recommend VERY SPARINGLY use on a felt-pellet (VFG-Quick Cleaning Pellets, part#66793). And we're talking oil on the felt pellet - Once in a Blue Moon. With frequent shooting, running dry felt pellets, you should be "Good-to-Go!".

Air pistol barrels generally won't lead-up, like firearms. Melting point of lead being 621.5f, there's not enough barrel friction at 500feet/second to smear the lead.

External oil frequently is okay. For example, here in the Tennessee Appalachians, I keep my pistols inside (nice&cool). Take them outside into the heat & humidity, and Voile' - condensation. Done with shooting - entire outside of pistol gets a coat of silicone oil on a cotton cleaning patch.

PATCHWORM for running patch thru barrel. Avoid cleaning rod, if ever!


Thank you! I greatly appreciate the info!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Miami
ActumLibero wrote:
For a new CM162M pistol

what is the best lubricant brand and maintenance cycle for it? the user manual has zero info

thank you in advance!


Thank you all! great info!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:20 pm
Posts: 5020
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Screw all these bore cleaning suggestions. You should initially clean your bore to get the old lube and machining swarf from it, then forget it.

If this offends your delicate sensibilities, then break the end off a Q-Tip and shoot a couple of those through the gun now and then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:55 pm
Posts: 833
Location: Australia
Quote:
Screw all these bore cleaning suggestions. You should initially clean your bore to get the old lube and machining swarf from it, then forget it.

If this offends your delicate sensibilities, then break the end off a Q-Tip and shoot a couple of those through the gun now and then.[/quote


+1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 am
Posts: 71
Location: Copperhill Tennessee 37317
@Rover: Frankly my dear, a box of Q-Tips COSTS MORE than a tin of felt pellets!

Instead, try this:

Soak Rover's Q-Tip in ethyl ether, the compressed air pressure DETONATES the ether, and Voile': TRACER AMMO for 10-meter air pistol!!!

Essentially, the Poor-Man's SCATT System!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:20 pm
Posts: 5020
Location: Scottsdale AZ
atomicgale wrote:
@Rover: Frankly my dear, a box of Q-Tips COSTS MORE than a tin of felt pellets!

Instead, try this:

Soak Rover's Q-Tip in ethyl ether, the compressed air pressure DETONATES the ether, and Voile': TRACER AMMO for 10-meter air pistol!!!

Essentially, the Poor-Man's SCATT System!


Actually, the Q-Tips are cheaper and you won't shoot a whole package over the life of the gun.

I like the tracer idea; perfect for AA on those flies in the outhouse.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:59 am
Posts: 481
Location: A new global Great Britain
I still think cleaning by shooting either felts or qtips is like vacuuming the living room carpet at 30 miles an hour in 2 seconds - bound to miss something.

Akin to the new microwave fireplace where the whole family can cosy up round the fire on a winters evening in just 3 minutes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:20 pm
Posts: 5020
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Works great for drying the poodle, too!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group