10 Meter Air Pistol Practice Questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ActumLibero

10 Meter Air Pistol Practice Questions

Post by ActumLibero »

Shooters,

For 10 meter air pistol practice at home, I have the following setup
target type: NRA B-40/4
Distance: 26 feet
pellets: Umarex Meisterkugeln Pellets, .177, Pistol 7.0g
is there a reduce target for 25' distance? is the B-40/4 a recommended format? - target location varies vs single
after a couple of months I am averaging 550 / 555 with a Morini CM162Mi and i am looking to improve with daily practice.

thank you in advance for any feedback.
Gwhite

Re: 10 Meter Air Pistol Practice Questions

Post by Gwhite »

You are doing pretty well. The 4-bull target is used in some club matches, but any serious match will at least be fired on single bullseye targets. I don't think it makes a huge difference changing between bullseyes, but it is an unnecessary distraction.

You probably can't purchase 25' targets, but you can print your own. There are programs that will do the scaling for you. Try to find some beige paper so the contrast is similar to real targets, or maybe print them on the back of cut up B40-4's. If you aren't shooting on Kruger targets, you are probably getting slightly ratty holes, although the Morini has a high enough velocity it's probably not too bad. If you go to single bull targets, you can also try Edelmann or Cibles targets. US targets (American or National brands) use lower quality paper, and don't make clean holes.
old sparky

Post by old sparky »

Gwhite wrote:You are doing pretty well. The 4-bull target is used in some club matches, but any serious match will at least be fired on single bullseye targets. I don't think it makes a huge difference changing between bullseyes, but it is an unnecessary distraction.

You probably can't purchase 25' targets, but you can print your own. There are programs that will do the scaling for you. Try to find some beige paper so the contrast is similar to real targets, or maybe print them on the back of cut up B40-4's. If you aren't shooting on Kruger targets, you are probably getting slightly ratty holes, although the Morini has a high enough velocity it's probably not too bad. If you go to single bull targets, you can also try Edelmann or Cibles targets. US targets (American or National brands) use lower quality paper, and don't make clean holes.

thats good advice. I know for my vision. I was printing targets on white card stock and the sight picture was a huge change when I went to my first 10 meter shoot. I ordered from Kruger, thats the best price I found with shipping combined to my location. The targets should be in the mailbox today, shipping to Arizona only took two days.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

Seller Nikkonos on the big auction site has these. I've used them when space was shorter and they work well. I like that they're still on decent target paper and cut nice holes. Single bull.

I've still have some so if you'd like to try a couple, pm me your address and I can send you a couple first to see if you'd like them. But they aren't priced too terribly. He has reduced rifle targets as well.

His description from the listing:

"Targets
5 Meter Practice Air Pistol Targets
Pefect when 10 meters is not possible.
Size: 17x17cm
Made & Printed Krüger in Germany
Art.No. 106T
ISSF paper (same as used in ISSF competition)
Clean cut paper! See pictures
Pack of 100 targets, approx 0.58kg per pack of 100"
ActumLibero

Post by ActumLibero »

Thank you all for the feedback! great info!
I downloaded the Scatt software and printed the targets to my specific scale, very cool!!!
Yesterday, I visited my local gun range to test my average scores at 10 meters and get a more accurate baseline, I was able to average 540 after 120 shots - lots of distraction with high calibers ( not the best conditions), at that distance the errors are less forgiven so I will keep in mind the average delta to evaluate my progress.

Living in central Florida with no air pistol clubs in the area is the only downside to my sport preference.
Last edited by ActumLibero on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ActumLibero

Post by ActumLibero »

Joe58,

Thank you so much for the kind offer! now that i have the Scatt software I can get the specific scale I need.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

[*] lots of distraction with high calibers ( not the best conditions)[*]

Be sure to double up on ear protection at indoor ranges allowing centerfire pistols. Plugs inserted in the ear, then good muffs over the top of them. Dry fire, with great mental and physical focus on the front sight, until you realize you are no longer registering the othere shooter's noise. That means you are concentrating/focusing correctly.

[*]Living in central Florida with no air pistol clubs in the area [*]

Why don't you start one?
ActumLibero

Post by ActumLibero »

Pat McCoy wrote:[*] lots of distraction with high calibers ( not the best conditions)[*]

Be sure to double up on ear protection at indoor ranges allowing centerfire pistols. Plugs inserted in the ear, then good muffs over the top of them. Dry fire, with great mental and physical focus on the front sight, until you realize you are no longer registering the othere shooter's noise. That means you are concentrating/focusing correctly.

[*]Living in central Florida with no air pistol clubs in the area [*]

Why don't you start one?
Pat,

I have been thinking about starting one, I will post a message and see what happens! - I have asked a couple of local shooting ranges - used to be popular but not anymore now a days - I guess times change and people have more interest in tactical shooting and such.

thanks,
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Where are you located?

Miami or central Florida?

http://www.airgunclub.org
ActumLibero

Post by ActumLibero »

seamaster wrote:Where are you located?

Miami or central Florida?

http://www.airgunclub.org

I am in the Tampa Bay area
jjessip

Post by jjessip »

The Hernando Sportsman's Club near Brooksville, FL has international pistol matches every 4th Saturday. They begin with a 30-shot air pistol match. You can visit their website at www.hernandosportsmansclub.com
ActumLibero

Post by ActumLibero »

jjessip wrote:The Hernando Sportsman's Club near Brooksville, FL has international pistol matches every 4th Saturday. They begin with a 30-shot air pistol match. You can visit their website at http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com
Thanks for the info, about and hour and change from where i am - will look into it.