LP50 questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
old sparky

LP50 questions

Post by old sparky »

I have heard it said the LP50 is not the perfect pick for 10 meter shooting and there are better options. However I’m 56 bad eyes and won’t take the time required to be the best ten meter shooter I could be. I bought a FAS 6004 to supplement practice to my powder burning pistols. I have found this addictive, fun and the air pistols shoot way better than MY powder burners. My FAS is NOT holding me back. Although I see a PCP could be satisfying to me. All I have to compare is my FAS I like the Grip / Trigger / Size and Weight. So if anyone can help me compare the LP50 to what I use and know. I have read specs but they don’t compare to as felt by human hands. Will the LP50 Weight - Overall Length - and Grip Angle be comparable? Trigger I hear the LP50 trigger s not as good as a LP10 ok but will it be as good or better as what I shoot. I know good is subjective but I don’t know how to ask another way. Also the velocity. Is the lower velocity more accurate or tuned for ten meter target? Is there any disadvantage to the HP LP50. I am asking these questions to try to avoid buying several pistols before getting the pistol that fits my desire.

Thanks in advance
saran

Re: LP50 questions

Post by saran »

It worths to try other equipment. Only way to make sure how do you feel about shooting a particular pistol.

You will find a handful of nice offers from the leading brands: Steyr, Morini, FWB, Pardini, Matchguns... Steyr alone have half a dozen options.

There is not a "best" pistol, there is what suits you best. I love my FWB C20, even being quite on the heavy side compared to more recent offers.

I suggest you to look for a shooting club and have a couple of bitters with the chaps. Certainly they will give you a chance to try their equipment.

*Saran
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why an LP50 when you KNOW it's not the "perfect pick?" Find something else (preferably cheaper and less in demand).
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

If you go with the LP50 make sure you buy a single shot magazine with it. That adds about $75. LP50 is a fine pistol and one of only a few that lets you shoot 5 shots in a row. If that is important to you I would go with the LP50. If that is not important, I would buy a single shot. I personally love my Steyr Evo 10e, but as mentioned above there are many great shooting single shot air pistols.

Chip
BigStick

Post by BigStick »

Spark,
I just picked up an LP50 compact High Power. Absolutely love it. Been doing ALOT of shooting in my back yard with my family. It really hammers the steel silhouette targets & sends them flying with a satisfying "ping"!

From what I understand the trigger is the same as on the LP10. I have mine set to about 2 pounds but it can be set to whatever you want.

Can't compare it to the FAS, I've never held one. I will say this is an Olympic level pistol that is also semi-auto. There's really nothing else like it out there that I'm aware of. Fit/finish is excellent, and it should be for almost 2k, but you are getting the best. I say treat yourself :)

Here's a pic with the universal grips, they are ambidextrous & look the same on both sides. The pistol originally came with target grips but I prefer these.

David Levene

Post by David Levene »

BigStick wrote: From what I understand the trigger is the same as on the LP10.
Absolutely not I'm afraid. The LP10 is in a different league, up there with other first class triggers.
Frenzy81

Post by Frenzy81 »

The LP50 trigger is not in the same league as the LP10. The travel needed to fire the gun (2nd stage) is far greater than the LP10 or EVO10, and is also has less adjustment options.

The LP50e trigger could be compared to the LP10/LP10e triggers, but unfortunately they stopped making that. I replaced my LP50 with an LP50e once I found one for sale a couple of years ago, and I found I can make the transition between the 10 and the 50 much easier now.

But - the LP50 trigger is not bad, and compared to other 5 shot AP's it's pretty good. If you only own one AP and that's the LP50 you probably won't be disappointed :)
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

@Old Sparky: BUY THE LP50! I picked up an LP50 from Pilkington in June - love it! Use the LP50 for: (1) LOADS of fun!, (2) Trainer for rapid-fire, (3) Eventually get an ambi-grip to get trigger-time LEFT handed.

Have set-up a "To-Scale" rapid-fire course (in my driveway), scaling back 25-meter RF dimensions to 10-meter distance.
Indoors, I shoot at 5-meters, so I use AR5/5 Air Rifle target - visually to scale at 5-meters the rifle-black-dot is the same as pistol-black-dot at 10-meters. Five shot string.

Compare/Contrast:
I have the LP50 and the Morini 162EI.

1. LP50 trigger is good. But it's mechanical, whereas the Electronic trigger on the Morini is Outstanding.
2. Recommend the LP50 Compact: simulates a 1911 sight radius. Don't really need full length, that's what the Morini is for.
3. Buck at Pilk said the "High-Pressure" LP-50 - (quoting): "Simply uses up more air."
(3a: However, the HP would extend range.)
(3b: But, degrades fine accuracy.)
4. BOTH are FUN!!!

(Side note, PILK GUNS has canned their old "shoot a 555 on one of their Compacts & get a FREE full-length.)

Conclusion, hey Old Sparky, bust out the wallet and buy the LP50!
jack1

Post by jack1 »

BigStick wrote:Spark,
I just picked up an LP50 compact High Power. Absolutely love it. Been doing ALOT of shooting in my back yard with my family. It really hammers the steel silhouette targets & sends them flying with a satisfying "ping"!

From what I understand the trigger is the same as on the LP10. I have mine set to about 2 pounds but it can be set to whatever you want.

Can't compare it to the FAS, I've never held one. I will say this is an Olympic level pistol that is also semi-auto. There's really nothing else like it out there that I'm aware of. Fit/finish is excellent, and it should be for almost 2k, but you are getting the best. I say treat yourself :)

Here's a pic with the universal grips, they are ambidextrous & look the same on both sides. The pistol originally came with target grips but I prefer these.

HI
I have just bought an LP50. The politicians here in the UK decided that the LP 50 was a semi automatic short barreled pistol and as such was not allowed under our current firearm laws. Then it was decided it is not 'self loading' but 'self indexing' and was therefore quite legal. So, I bought one for offhand competition for 6 yards, 10 metres and 25 yards. Don't ask why "yards and metres" (British). Also a club house conversation" has anybody ever made a 6 round mag". Ask Steyr and its like blasphemy.
Like the set up of your rig. Thought I may put laminated Rink grips on mine. Just shot 25 yards off hand with mine with open sights and shot 92 out of the box no adjustment. Happy days
Frenzy81

Post by Frenzy81 »

jack1 wrote:... a 6 round mag". Ask Steyr and its like blasphemy.
Design your 6-shot magazine in a 3D tool, like Sketchup (free). Find a good friend with a cnc machine. I'm sure you can sell a few on eBay as well... The scandinavian countries have a field target competition in common, 6 shots is used for all of those. I'm sure a lot of people would like an LP50 with 6-shot magazine they could train with during winter (indoors).

I believe I've seen dry-fire magazines made available as 3D files on thingiverse or some other 3D print site. Grab that file and use it as a starting point.
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Frenzy81 wrote:
jack1 wrote:... a 6 round mag". Ask Steyr and its like blasphemy.
Design your 6-shot magazine in a 3D tool, like Sketchup (free). Find a good friend with a cnc machine. I'm sure you can sell a few on eBay as well... The scandinavian countries have a field target competition in common, 6 shots is used for all of those. I'm sure a lot of people would like an LP50 with 6-shot magazine they could train with during winter (indoors).

I believe I've seen dry-fire magazines made available as 3D files on thingiverse or some other 3D print site. Grab that file and use it as a starting point.
Thanks for that you may be on to something. A six round mag would open up all kinds of possibilities for the LP50. Another 'I wonder' is if a plastic printer could re produce them. Although never approved of course by Steyr

Thanks again
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

I would like to suggest the Hotchkiss Portative Mk.1 approach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-cDO82AVM
Image Image
Frenzy81

Post by Frenzy81 »

I noticed something while shooting my LP50 yesterday, which is a potential problem if you were to have a magazine with >5 shots capacity:

The way the magazine well is designed means that none of the pellets in the mag will be fully exposed on the right side of the gun, when the mag is inserted all the way. They probably designed it this way to prevent pellets from coming loose and blocking/jamming the magazine while shooting.

So if you manage to make a 6 (or larger) shot mag this is a potential problem. I shot 4.49 pellets yesterday and the fit inside the magazine was loose, but it worked. With a 6 shot mag I would definitely make sure I'd use a 4.50 or larger pellet to avoid this problem.

Perhaps you could make an adapter to extend the length of the mag well, which would secure the pellets from coming out of the extended mag?
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Frenzy81 wrote:I noticed something while shooting my LP50 yesterday, which is a potential problem if you were to have a magazine with >5 shots capacity:

The way the magazine well is designed means that none of the pellets in the mag will be fully exposed on the right side of the gun, when the mag is inserted all the way. They probably designed it this way to prevent pellets from coming loose and blocking/jamming the magazine while shooting.

So if you manage to make a 6 (or larger) shot mag this is a potential problem. I shot 4.49 pellets yesterday and the fit inside the magazine was loose, but it worked. With a 6 shot mag I would definitely make sure I'd use a 4.50 or larger pellet to avoid this problem.

Perhaps you could make an adapter to extend the length of the mag well, which would secure the pellets from coming out of the extended mag?
Thanks for that. The EVO 10 I owned previously shot 4.49 pellets but the LP50 is designed to shoot 4.50 . I can't help thinking that long before now that if it were possible someone would have made a 6 round mag. So, maybe that is how it will stay, an idea.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

BigStick wrote:Here's a pic with the universal grips, they are ambidextrous & look the same on both sides. The pistol originally came with target grips but I prefer these.
Where did you get those grips?

I see them on the Steyr website but there is no price listed.
http://www.steyr-sport.com/en/grips1
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Where did you get those grips?"

Did you try our host and U.S. Steyr distributor, Pilk?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Pilk Guns has those grips. Scott has a whole box of them. I just bought an LP50, ambi-1911-style grip while I was out there last week.

I know they've got the ambidextrous wood grips too - held one in my hand. It's SWEET!!!
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

atomicgale wrote:Pilk Guns has those grips. Scott has a whole box of them. I just bought an LP50, ambi-1911-style grip while I was out there last week.
I know they've got the ambidextrous wood grips too - held one in my hand. It's SWEET!!!
Thanks Atomic. I have the 1911 grip. I use it for pre-bullseye match training.
I think that the ambi-wood grip will be great to add versatility and put our expensive LP50 gun to more use.
week3

Post by week3 »

For those with a LP50 HP Compact, what pellets are people using to get the tightest groups? I'm currently shooting 10m in the basement.

And how much does the Steyr 8 duct compensator positively impact a pistol's shooting?

Thanks for any and all information!
jack1

Post by jack1 »

week3 wrote:For those with a LP50 HP Compact, what pellets are people using to get the tightest groups? I'm currently shooting 10m in the basement.

And how much does the Steyr 8 duct compensator positively impact a pistol's shooting?

Thanks for any and all information!
The UK National Small Bore Shooting Association told me that here the top shots use either RWS R10 or H&N Final Match Light I use the H&N for competition in my LP50 for 6 yards 10 and 20 metres although how they would work in the compact I do not know