Problem With New Morini 162MI - Low Pressure Lockout

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gravetpo

Problem With New Morini 162MI - Low Pressure Lockout

Post by gravetpo »

I purchased a Morini 162MI new from Pyramyd Air and received it last week. It is beautiful pistol and I am impressed with the overall quality. However, the pistol delivers far less than the advertised number of shots per cylinder fill. One cylinder actuates the low pressure lockout after approximately 40 shots.The other cylinder causes the lockout to occur after about 90 shots. I fill the cylinders to 200 BAR - according to the cylinder's manometer - from a freshly filled SCUBA tank. A newly filled cylinder produces an average muzzle velocity of 503 fps.

Any thoughts?
m1963

Re: Problem With New Morini 162MI - Low Pressure Lockout

Post by m1963 »

Greetings- we have three Morini's in our group and have not encountered this problem. It sounds like the internal valve/pressure sensor is sticking. If your pistol has an electronic trigger you will want to also check to see if the electronics are acting up, creating the lock-out. Our best suggestion- call Pyramid Air, send the pistol back, and get one that works. There are threads with similar questions, on TT:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=42652
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=25355

Cheers!
m1963
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

Is it a short version ?
I get 94 shots from a short cylinder before the lockout, but my MVel may be a touch higher than yours.
503 fs is correct velocity.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

you would do better to use a good gauge on the scuba tank. If the cylinders behave like this repeatably then it suggests a high reading gauge on the cylinder that gives low shots. Logically if the pistol will do 90 shots on one of the cylinders then the pistol is OK.
gravetpo

Post by gravetpo »

Is it a short version ?
I get 94 shots from a short cylinder before the lockout, but my MVel may be a touch higher than yours.
503 fs is correct velocity.
It's the normal ("long") version.
Our best suggestion- call Pyramid Air, send the pistol back, and get one that works.
This is the approach I'm taking.
David M

Post by David M »

When the lockout engages, what is the remaining pistol tank pressure ?
It should be about 80 bar.
gravetpo

Post by gravetpo »

One cylinder, the one that actuates the low pressure lockout at 40 shots, indicates a pressure of about 160 BAR. The other locks the action at approximately 130 BAR.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

gravetpo wrote:One cylinder, the one that actuates the low pressure lockout at 40 shots, indicates a pressure of about 160 BAR. The other locks the action at approximately 130 BAR.
At least one faulty gauge.

Try them on a scuba tank with a proper fill gauge.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

There is a way to change the lockout pressure. You should have it lock out at 100BAR. There is a bar internally on the business side of the regulator which is a flat piece of metal with a nub at one end. The length of the nub is related to the lock out mechanism. As pressure falls the force reduces on the lock, and lock gets closer to locking; so without looking at my pistol at the moment I think you will need to order a part and then fit it out as you need more of the nub. Otherwise you could isolate it with a matchstick as a manual override jamming the lockout and join the unsophisticated Steyr shooters gauge watching. ;-)
Image Image
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

SamEEE wrote:join the unsophisticated Steyr shooters gauge watching. ;-)
Blasphemy! Steyr is still the world record holder in air pistol. Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability...
gravetpo

Post by gravetpo »

You are correct, sir.

TWO faulty gauges. I did as you suggested and found that, as I filled the worse behaving cylinder, the proper gauge indicated 200 BAR while the cylinder's gauge was pegged into the red. Additionally, when I completely degassed that cylinder the gauge still indicated close to 130 BAR. The second cylinder wasn't as bad but is still far from properly calibrated.

I enjoy shooting this gun but I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed in "Swiss Quality". After all, it's not like they give those things away. That 162MI cost seventeen hundred dollars. I would think that with such a vastly expensive pistol, Morini might pay a little bit more attention to these small, yet important, details.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You should obviously send the cylinders back to the supplier, but I'm guessing that it's just a problem that the needles have not been put on correctly.

They are just a push fit on to the shaft, as I found out when one of mine fell off.

I just levered the plastic "glass" off, through the hole in the side of the gauge, and replaced the needle. That side of the gauge is not under high pressure, only atmospheric.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

gravetpo wrote:

You are correct, sir.

TWO faulty gauges.
Great! That they differed repeatably proved at least one faulty. That both were below par suggested two.
I never look at the cylinder gauge while filling in case it fails and takes my head off. Probably Chinese made gauge anyway.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You guys must be mistaken. How could there POSSIBLY be a problem with our beloved, world record holding, dear old PCPs? That kind of thing only happens to "other" guns that can easily and cheaply be repaired.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'd contact our host and see if they could fix the problem. It should be under warranty.
gravetpo

Post by gravetpo »

I sent the pistol back to Pyramyd Air and, within a very reasonable time, they replaced it with one that is problem free.