TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:59 pm 

Hey All,

New to the forum, but been ghosting for awhile, reading everything I could find. I just placed my order with PilkGuns for a new LP50 Compact High Power. Wanted a Tier 1 pistol I could grow into for 10 meter, Metal Silhouette & plinking in the back yard. This is my first PCP gun so I still have to acquire all the accessory stuff. I currently own a Diana 75 P01 & an AA TX200 MkIII so not a complete noob. Many Q's, so I'll just gitoit....

-Fill stations: Joe Brancato is just up the road from me in SoCal (I'm in San Diego), would that be a good place to start for a quality air bottle? I'd prefer to get a big Carbon Fiber tank & just keep that in the garage for now, then maybe get a little 90cu/in for portability later once the wallet & wifey recover.
-Adaptors: I notice this gun comes with a particular adaptor for the tank, is there a particular fitting I'll need to make this work with standard air bottle fills?
-Competitions: once I'm set with gear, is there anything local going on in SoCal? Any training centers or coaches for 10m in the local area?

I've been having a blast schwacking the little metal silhouettes in my back yard with my son & the TX. I'm planning to set up a "Walk'n'Gun" once we get the pistol. I plan to randomly set up the silhouettes around the yard & we can walk around & engage them as we find them :)

Anyway, more Q's to come. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:53 pm 

Because you're probably near 100 dive shops, I would forget the tanks you've chosen and pick up a used 80 to 100cf SCUBA tank for $50 or so from Craigslist. You could also get some kind of break including refills by buying used from the dive shop. A fill lasts quite a while.

Another money saver would be to buy a sleeve or two of RWS Basic pellets from Champion Shooters Supply or International Shooters Service.

One other thing....of the uses you've described, I see no need for the LP50. Just about any match AP would do (and would probably be superior); another big saving.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:35 pm 

Quote:
One other thing....of the uses you've described, I see no need for the LP50. Just about any match AP would do (and would probably be superior); another big saving.

I feel the five shot semi auto function of the LP50 is the way to go. I owned an LP5 some time back and it was a lot of fun not having to load each pellet individually.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:22 am 

deadeyedick wrote:
Quote:

I feel the five shot semi auto function of the LP50 is the way to go. I owned an LP5 some time back and it was a lot of fun not having to load each pellet individually.

More fun, worse trigger, unavailable. But, you're probably right since he apparently only wants a toy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:47 am 

Second on getting the used bottle at a dive shop-they'll typically refill it no questions asked if you buy it there. Show the shop your fill adapter so they know what you are talking about, and if the bottle has a yoke style fitting, they may swap out to 200 bar DIN fitting for you.

If yoke style fitting on bottle, you'll need a yoke to DIN adapter-available at Pilkguns, or possibly at the dive shop.

I get about 100-110 shots with the compact cylinder - if I brought a portable bottle to the range, or purchased a second cylinder, that could get very expensive ($DIVORCE$), as I'd be there way too long.

You will find the LP-50 very addictive. Have fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:48 pm 

Thankyou Gentlemen,

I will definitely look at the local dive shops as I've already murdered the wallet with this pistol.

Absolutely a "Toy". Unfortunately the State I live in HATES anything to do with firearms, or freedom for that matter. We used to head out to public land not far from my house & set up "Run'n'Gun" courses with steel & paper targets. We'd be out there all day & have a blast. Recreation, exercise, skill-building, FUN! Well, the State sold off that land to help pay for its mounting debt, and whatever public land is left in the area is off-limits to 'recreational activities'.

Once I discovered 'High-Quality' air guns, that became a way to circumvent the haters & have fun with Family in my own back yard :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:49 pm 

BigStick wrote:
I will definitely look at the local dive shops as I've already murdered the wallet with this pistol.

Tell the shop that you want a dive cylinder/valve, and something that will let you screw in a DIN fitting (which is what the end of your adaptor will be.) There are 200 and 300 bar DIN fittings, but it shouldn't matter which you get (I think - you'd have to check if your adaptor has 7 threads or only 5. 5-thread is 200 bar, 7-thread is 300 bar. You can put a 7 thread male into a 5-thread female, but not vice versa.) If possible (plumbingwise and walletwise) you might think about hanging a pressure gauge off the piping outside the valve (the cylinder manometers are not exactly precision equipment.)