Arm/shoulder exercises or not?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
zanemoseley

Arm/shoulder exercises or not?

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm curious what they consensus is, is it recommended to do exercises that strengthen the shoulder to help endurance or develop it naturally over time by shooting? I've been shooting my new Evo10 for a few month and am getting better scores. I just returned from a 9 day vacation and shot a match in my basement, I started out great with some 93's and a 94. Toward the end I could tell my shoulder was getting fatigued and was effecting my scores, my last two rounds were 89 & 87 which killed the match for me. I still ended with a 549 but should have gotten in the mid 550's had the fatigue not caught up with me. I most likely shot at a faster pace than if I were at a match but I still can't help but wonder what some extra strength in my would do for my scores.
97nick

Re: Arm/shoulder exercises or not?

Post by 97nick »

zanemoseley wrote:I'm curious what they consensus is, is it recommended to do exercises that strengthen the shoulder to help endurance or develop it naturally over time by shooting? I've been shooting my new Evo10 for a few month and am getting better scores. I just returned from a 9 day vacation and shot a match in my basement, I started out great with some 93's and a 94. Toward the end I could tell my shoulder was getting fatigued and was effecting my scores, my last two rounds were 89 & 87 which killed the match for me. I still ended with a 549 but should have gotten in the mid 550's had the fatigue not caught up with me. I most likely shot at a faster pace than if I were at a match but I still can't help but wonder what some extra strength in my would do for my scores.
My Coach is more interested in stretching than doing weights; I have found I get injured if I do shoulder exercises if I'm not careful. (not as young as I used to be)
I would say the middle road is best, fitness training like running or swimming combined with stretching, a little strength training for your shoulders but don't over do it.
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

There are fundamentally two muscle types - Fast and Slow twitch. For precision shooting you need slow twitch (less powerful, but capable of repeated and extended usage - think of a marathon runner versus a sprinter). We are all naturally pre-disposed with more slow or fast twitch muscles; but all can be developed - and for precision pistol shooting multiple repetitive exercises are required. Lifting bigger and bigger weights will not help you. At all. More muscle mass means more effort to lift the extra weight of the muscle. Being able to lift a light weight, say 2kg a hundred times in a smooth controlled manner is what you need to do. You can achieve this with just pistol training; but you need to be aware of causing an imbalance left to right across your back, shoulders and neck. Imbalance is not good for your general health.

Your stance also affects how well you can work when tired. If you shoot with your shoulder high, then you are more likely to find your scores falling apart as you tire - more muscles are at play holding the position, and they all work and tire at different rates meaning you get inconsistent. If you force your shoulder down before each shot - you will be more consistent - but you need to train this in as the work is more focused on fewer muscles, and you will tire quicker.

Also - as you tire, your mental awareness of this is probably affecting your stability as much as the actual tiredness. You need to switch off the thoughts of tiredness or pain.

I am also an advocate of stretching when you finish. Speeds up recovery and prevents tightening.

So, if you have the time to work out with light weights - do so. You may be looked down upon with your "girlie" weights, but if you are doing 100 reps, you can confidently challenge any Rambo character to go head to head and they will lose (maybe not, but at least they will hurt).

Shoot with your shoulder down. Get used to this.

Take breaks. Build them in every ten or twenty lifts - not every x number of shots, because you are working to lift even if you don't release the shot.

Remember any muscle ache is nature's way of telling you that you need a rest - but you can ignore this and push through without any loss of ability, to a certain extent. And pushing though this will make you fitter.

Hope that helps?

McT
Chia

Post by Chia »

I agree with 97nick. As someone who just attempted to do a set of pistol lifts with a heavier pistol and nearly came out of it with a case of tendonitis, be mindful of your limits. The muscles in the wrist and hand are not at all like biceps or triceps and improving their ability to flex and abduct will not help you in maintaining a static hold. Also, take your age and general fitness into account before going off the deep end with your new set of manly pink weights from Walmart.

Congrats on the great scores, by the way! I look forward to the day I can say that about myself.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Wow mctrucky, that's some great info, thanks for taking the time to write.
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

No worries; but as other say, don't try to 'ramp up' too quickly. It seems easy to do, but muscles, tendons, the sheaths/membranes around the muscles and all the bits and bobs that make up the most complicated joint in the body (the shoulder) develop at different rates. And you are only as fit as the weakest link. So build up slowly and allow recovery days.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

You might also wanna try the "Wrist Roller" pistol exercise device:

http://pistol.mit.edu/wp-content/upload ... ctions.pdf
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good 'un Mctrucky!
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

I have been useing a similar diy device myself for decades. (One intoxicating ginger female pistolero there, btw....)
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Just do holding excercises with your gun. As you do it listen to music or watch tv to make it more comfortable.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol