Red Dot on Air Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sjstp

Red Dot on Air Pistol

Post by sjstp »

I am a beginner and want to buy an air pistol for target work, but I need to mount a red dot due to my eyesight. I have read reviews and looked at many models on line. I believe I want a single pump pneumatic but so far I do not see any which appear to accept an optic mount.

Please give me a recommendation or two for pistols not more than $500 on which I can mount a red dot.

Also, I once read that regular firearm optics get damaged on air guns. Is this true for red dots as well? If so, are there red dots for sale that can be used on an air pistol?

Thank you.
Ghawk423

Re: Red Dot on Air Pistol

Post by Ghawk423 »

I picked up a FAS 6004 several months ago for about $425. Went down to the local gun store and found a weaver rail for a flat topped Marlin lever action rifle, the base was flat on the bottom, it cost $5. Cut the rail down to match the length of a TR25 red dot base. Taped the top of the frame on the pistol, picked up three holes from the base and transfered the the hole location to the frame. Drilled and tapped 6-48 screw holes in the frame. Installed the screws and locktited in place. The red dot is about three inches in front of the rear sight. Not a lot of material in the frame, so don't over tighten the screws. Put about a 1000 pellets through the pistol and had to return the TR 25 due to it shutting off after each shot. Bushnell replaced it free with no problems and since put about 2000 pellets through the pistol with no issues with the red dot or the sight mounting system. Total cost to mount the red dot was $5 for the base, three screws at 30 cents each and I had the 6-48 tap and set set from my gunsmithing days many years ago. Should be able to pick up a tap and die set for about $10, or you can see if your local pistal smith can install it.

Hope this helps.

Ghawk.
sjstp

Post by sjstp »

It does help, thank you very much.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Optics get damaged only if the airgun is spring-piston operated. Pneumatics, CO2, and precompressed air will not damage your optics.
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

Not long ago my club hosted the Shamrock Silhouette Shootout (on St. Patrick's Day) for rifles and pistols. The guys shooting the Red Dot Pistol division used these guns and red dots. Locals use Baikal IZH 46M's with the Vortek.

Maybe you can make it next year. Open Iron Sights, Red Dots and Scopes welcome, two 60-shot rounds, 100% cash payout in each division. Two boys from Texas showed up and taught us a thing or two, although the third place winner (a local) only shot 1 round and still took third and some $. We'd love to see folks from Arizona, California, Tennessee and, well... everywhere, next year.

The Baikal can be had for $350-$550, but honestly, and I didn't expect this at all, guys shooting Crossman 1701P's won the top two spots, and although they don't hold much air and the triggers aren't as good in stock form as the Baikal, they obviously do the job. A little trigger tuning is all they need, and the price is ridiculous compared to what we are all used to seeing. So SSP or PCP, your choice.

https://www.crosman.com/1701p-silhouette-pcp-pistol-177

The first picture is the winner Gabby Jones at the Shamrock with a Crossman, his buddy next to him had the other Crossman.

Second picture is at a local match, both using Baikal IZH 46's with Vortek's.

Hope This Helps,

Richard Harris
Air Pistol Match Director, Bayou Airgun Club
Baton Rouge, LA

Red Dot Division
Name Gun Pellet Red Dot Score
1. Gabby Jones Crossman 1701P JSB 7.3g Tasco Propoint 84
2. Kenny Landers Crossman 1701P JSB 7.3g Tasco Propoint 73
3. Calvin Domaingue Baikal IZH 46 Vogel 7.1g Vortek TruGlow 41
4. Bill Liebke Benjy Maurauder 35
5. Lee Domaingue Mrodair Mk2 RWS Hobby 7.0g Vortek TruGlow 11
Attachments