shot analyser

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
madmax

shot analyser

Post by madmax »

Does anyone know the availability of a free-standing shot analyser.
Not a downloadable app to phone or laptop, but a handheld device which has the capability to analyse shot patterns for ISSF pistol matches.
sparky

Re: shot analyser

Post by sparky »

madmax wrote:Does anyone know the availability of a free-standing shot analyser.
Not a downloadable app to phone or laptop, but a handheld device which has the capability to analyse shot patterns for ISSF pistol matches.
Tack the targets you're shooting at onto a target. When you swap targets, don't replace the rear most target; your cumulative shots will be visible when you've finished several strings, revealing a basic pattern of where your hits were for that session. That said, I think TargetScan is a pretty nice app, in case you change your mind about apps.
David M

Post by David M »

Shot Wheel.jpg
This is usually good for some discussion, like it or hate it.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Ok - we seem to be missing the point, so I will explain further.

When training with a SCATT, I find that the centres of my 5 shot groups (COG) are fairly consistent, even though the shot placement does not appear to be as regular. This leads me to think that in LIVE fire, my sight adjustments could be better as (with the SCATT) the apparent COG is a bit different to the calculated COG.

So, in a live fire match, logging the 5 shots in an analyser will give me a more accurate. sight adjustment.
This is important, as in an Open shoot, all scoring and patching is done by range staff, and the shooter does not approach the target.

I have seen someone use an analyser which was not and app. Can't remember who, where or what. Hence the enquiry.

Max.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Better yet:
trigger chart.jpg
trigger chart.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
Rover

Post by Rover »

At least nglitz got it right and has a firm grip on reality!

As for the rest of you guys......
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Generally you should be able to make a reasonable estimate of the "centre" of your 5-shot group when looking through your spotting scope. Knowing the ring interval (25mm on the Standard ISSF precision target) you should be able to estimate the windage error (horizontal distance to the vertical centreline of the target) and elevation error (ditto vertically). Divide those two distances by the movements per click of your sights (at 25m) and adjust your sights accordingly. Always bear in mind that you shouldn't move more than about three clicks at a time; this assumes your gun is close to being sighted in. The fractions of a millimetre that an electronic device will give you is probably too great a level of precision: think 5 to 10mm.

I used to use a hand plotting app on a Palm TX (Target Plot) but it was always a struggle to see the screen in daylight and adding a shade hood made the device unusable. I found that estimation was sufficiently accurate.

Good luck with your matches,

Bob