Walther?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jerber

Walther?

Post by jerber »

I like to know what you guys/gals think about the Walther Olympic pistols
I know that their air rifle and small bore riffle are doing ok
From what I see on videos
But what about their pistols?
The gsp has been around for a long time and has been a good shooter
I did tried a air pistol a few years ago and felt like a good pistol but then again it was just a few pellets
I own a few Walther hand guns (ccp 9mm/ppq 22/ppk22)
Just for fun plinking!
I like the brand and sometime I think that I want to get into their top line of pistols but i don't know much about their pistols
So what can you tell me about Walther?
Rover

Re: Walther?

Post by Rover »

I've only owned Walther air pistols (still do). Good stuff! Sturdy.

I used to shoot with a kid who used one of their .22s. I think he still holds all the Jr. National Records.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

I'm not sure if you're asking about a specific pistol. I use a (vintage) Walther GSP for BE. They are excellent purpose-built pistols. Plenty of threads on them here...what can I tell you? They are on the heavier side, but very well balanced. The mag is forward of the grip so in some states they are banned as assault weapons. Very little recoil (I do have a barrel weight). Of the least picky .22lr as far as ammo goes. If you are comparing them to others I do think its a great target pistol, but choosing one over the other is a personal choice and it will come down to what fits you best. Parts are pricey, but not too hard to come by. Not the simplest takedown, but certainly not difficult. Very modular build.

FWIW I'm not at all a fan of their PP_ line of pistols. I find them to 'snappy', even in 9mm. I've tried four or five variants in different sizes, mostly in 9mm. All of them seemed to have the same "snappy" characteristic. The single exception that I really like is the Walther Q5 Match, which does not feel like any of their PP_ line. Better trigger. Faster back on target, and nicer balance. My accuracy and consistency is far better with the Q5 than their PP line.

PS Sorry, I'm not sure if you're asking about SP or AP. Obviously I assumed the former.
jerber

Post by jerber »

I almost forgot about how Rover likes the classic Walther SSP air pistol!
That's good to know
What I'm asking is how do you feel about Walther today
In general with their top pistols (22or air)
As far as my Walther hand guns
I just use them for fun/plinking nothing serious
Personally I think they are great but I do agree about taking them down or reassembly
Not the easiest but not too hard
As far as competing,I don't see too many of them
And I watch a lot of videos
Some to think about,I checked and the Walther lp 400 is the cheapest air pistol to buy
Is there a reason?
Again I'm just curious if it's just a trend with other brands?
Or is it just that Walther are not all what it seems?
Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

The Bridge Jr. Shooting Club equipped ALL its members with the LP400. Price may be the reason, but they're doing well with them.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

jerber wrote:Some to think about, I checked and the Walther lp 400 is the cheapest air pistol to buy, is there a reason?
Carl Walther was acquired by the Umarex conglomerate back in 1993. I think their manufacturing capability is bigger than the other top brands, that maybe a reason why their match air pistols are cheaper.

I consider Walther as a high quality brand. They are still a force to be reckoned with.
Last edited by kevinweiho on Tue May 09, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

I enjoy using my pre-expert GSP. Very accurate piece of gear.
Image Image
jerber

Post by jerber »

Thanks for your opinions
Good to know that Walther sport pistol are regarded as a good top choice
I really like the Walther hand guns that I have
Kind of liking the brand now!
I did held a SSP and like the weight
The grip was too big for my hand but other than that it felt pretty well balanced
Maybe I should keep an eye out for a Walther in the classifieds!
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Had a GSP Expert in .22 for the last 4 years which has not had a single malfunction and been a great pistol for ISSF standard. I have always enjoyed the gun and has performed well. It feels well made and is simple to maintain....BUT
Yesterday I took possession of a Pardin RF in .22 and the quality and finish just seem better. The grip is not as good and will take some modification to be as comfortable as the Walther.
The Walther feels softer to shoot and has a different feel in terms of balance. These days all top tier guns are superb, just boils down to which one you like more!
Good luck.
97nick

Post by 97nick »

no experience with the fire arms but all Walter products I have seen and used are absolutely top notch in quality.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I have several olympic pistols, including A GSP with both 22 and 32 barrels. Completely reliable, and wonderful 2 stage trigger. Plus, 10 rd mags are available for .22, which I like. As previously said, will likely depend on which gun feels best to you.

A couple physical differences among the guns is the grip angle and balance. The Benelli and Pardini have an extreme (to me) grip angle. Not sure I like it (but not used to it). The 208 and the GSP are much more like a 1911. Some of the guns (lGSP, Benelli, Pardini) have forward mags, which changes the balance. If you plan to use a dot sight note than some are easier to mount than others.

The GSP is the gun I shoot for competition, although I don't think it is inherently more accurate than any of the others.