Steyr LP50 New Models!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwelo

Steyr LP50 New Models!

Post by Gwelo »

Looking at Steyr's website I noticed what appear to be new models of the LP50. The "RF" (Rapid Fire) and "HP" (High Power), I believe, were introduced at IWA in March. RF model would be 7.5 joules and HP would be 14 joules (12 joules for Compact). From what I know the "Standard" LP50 came at approx 5 joules.

Also stumbled across the "Silhouette" grip for the LP10 & LP50 and the "Benchrest" grip attachment to turn your LP10 or LP50 into a Benchrest pistol. Evidently the previous LP S silhouette model has been discontinued and replaced by the LP50 HP or RF with new grip to better suit a two hand hold. Not sure of prices or availability, but sound interesting and with way more flexibility.

Last edited by Gwelo on Sat May 06, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DFWdude

Re: Steyr LP50 New Models!

Post by DFWdude »

Not to mention the original "Steyr bench rest plate" accessory (shown at bottom) for competition in the mysterious "supported pistol" class.

We 65+ shooters can only hope.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Steyr should offer a “HP” conversion kit to those who already have a LP10/evo10. They would sell like hot cakes.
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

kevinweiho wrote:Steyr should offer a “HP” conversion kit to those who already have a LP10/evo10. They would sell like hot cakes.
Wonder what would be involved? Steyr's exploded view with parts list for the LP50 is for the "standard" model so no way to check differences. Assume a regulator and hammer spring change would be necessary. Hopefully they will ad the RF and HP drawings.

Anyone ever messed with the velocity adjustments to check possibilities?
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Other than the marginally shorter time in the barrel, what possible advantages are there in a high velocity model if you are using this for 10M BE shooting?
dronning

Post by dronning »

jaxontarget wrote:Other than the marginally shorter time in the barrel, what possible advantages are there in a high velocity model......
Squirrels!
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Gwelo wrote:
kevinweiho wrote:Steyr should offer a “HP” conversion kit to those who already have a LP10/evo10. They would sell like hot cakes.
Wonder what would be involved? Steyr's exploded view with parts list for the LP50 is for the "standard" model so no way to check differences. Assume a regulator and hammer spring change would be necessary. Hopefully they will ad the RF and HP drawings.

Anyone ever messed with the velocity adjustments to check possibilities?
I also assume a modified regulator and hammer spring. I think the standard model with the velocity screw cranked up, will only deliver around 550-600 fps with light weight pellets.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

dronning wrote:
jaxontarget wrote:Other than the marginally shorter time in the barrel, what possible advantages are there in a high velocity model......
Squirrels!
The ad mentions 12-14 joules (700 to 800 fps more or less) and a shooting distance of up to 25 meters, definitely enough oomph to take down small pests in the backyard.
I would also consider adding a .22 barrel for more knock down power...
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

All I need is one of those benchrest grip thingys...

jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

dronning wrote:
Squirrels!
I just put holes in paper at 10 meters with my AP's. If the path is relatively straight from my barrel to the target that's good enough for me. I've got no issues with squirrels. I bet they taste just like chicken though. I don't think they're fans of our dogs because they seem to stay clear of our yard.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

jaxontarget wrote:Other than the marginally shorter time in the barrel, what possible advantages are there in a high velocity model if you are using this for 10M BE shooting?
Steel silhouette animals.
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

wasatch wrote:
jaxontarget wrote:Other than the marginally shorter time in the barrel, what possible advantages are there in a high velocity model if you are using this for 10M BE shooting?
Steel silhouette animals.

Exactly! AP silhouette is shot at distances up to 18 yds (I think) which would be right in the new models wheelhouse. Also, they could be used for Bullseye practice for rapid and timed fire at 25 yds. More flexibility is always good. I am working on a set of mounts for my LP50 to utilize both red dots and pistol scopes similar to the pic in my previous post. The rail pictured previously can be mounted turned around and cantilevered over the magazine loading port for use with any style red dot.

Rover

Post by Rover »

Why concern yourself with such a simple, easy sport when 10m is the way to go?
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

I sent an email to Steyr Sport asking about 14J conversion. I'll post their reply.

While were getting our LP50 geek on, here are a couple pics of a quiet shooting accessory I designed and had 3D printed.
Went with a full shroud to cover the barrel vents. It has an integrated picatinny mount.
Attachments
shroud_parts.jpg
shrouded_LP50.jpg
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

wasatch wrote:I sent an email to Steyr Sport asking about 14J conversion. I'll post their reply.

While were getting our LP50 geek on, here are a couple pics of a quiet shooting accessory I designed and had 3D printed.
Went with a full shroud to cover the barrel vents. It has an integrated picatinny mount.

Clever! Is this for some stealth backyard ops?

Would be very interested in Steyr's response.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

DFWdude wrote:Not to mention the original "Steyr bench rest plate" accessory (shown at bottom) for competition in the mysterious "supported pistol" class.

We 65+ shooters can only hope.
http://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.aspx ... n_2016.pdf
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Gwelo wrote:
wasatch wrote:I sent an email to Steyr Sport asking about 14J conversion. I'll post their reply.

Clever! Is this for some stealth backyard ops?

Would be very interested in Steyr's response.
Thanks! With it i don't disturb anyone and it was a fun project too.

Here's the information Steyr sent back:
"It is possible to increase energy of LP 50 to 14 Joule from serial number 817111 approximately.
If your pistol has got a higher serial number you would need to change the regulator and the hammer spring."
Gwelo

Post by Gwelo »

Here's the information Steyr sent back:
"It is possible to increase energy of LP 50 to 14 Joule from serial number 817111 approximately.
If your pistol has got a higher serial number you would need to change the regulator and the hammer spring."[/quote]

Great info, thanks!
They must have made a change at that serial number to accommodate the increased power. Wonder what? Do the pistols use a transfer port similar to the rifles? Cannot find it on the exploded view/parts list.

Maybe they could supply part numbers for the 14j reg and hammer spring?
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

Guess that means no Evo 50 for a while.
metman

Post by metman »

I guess I can understand how someone might decide they can use a 5-shot AP to train for disciplines other than 10m ISSF. My own experience has led me to the opposite conclusion. Furthermore, part of me is uneasy about how ignorant legislators could look at this and decide there's no need for .22LR or other calibres.