Questions regarding Fwb p44

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gokartnisse

Questions regarding Fwb p44

Post by gokartnisse »

I just recently bought my first air pistol, a used Feinwerkbau P44 for training during the winter (I live in Sweden so we have long cold winters).
Today when I was at the 10m indoor range it fired when I put the tank on the table "resting" my arm before lifting it when shooting, I was quite sure my finger where fare away fromthe trigger. Then it happen two more times.

Started to examine the pistol and found that a slight pressure upwards on the front of the air tank or even a violent shake would fire it! I tried to find the problem and checked that it wasn't the Rink-grip that touch something (I had recently adjusted the grip inclination), tried changing the trigger over travel (or as FWB says "creep after releasing shot"), I found nothing. After asking a friend who have been shooting air pistol and 25 m standard pistol a lot said that it could be an adjustment that one should never touch. Checked the manual and found "Trigger point" screw 4 (https://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/module ... download=1) that should not be adjusted. Then I did what Fwb in the manual states as "Basic adjustment at the factory" and the problem was gone. The strange part is that I am completely sure that I haven't touch that screw and the previous owner (who bought it new) never even removed the grip and never touch that screw. I know him well so I trust him on that.

I don't like when adjustment screws get "adjusted" on their own. Can something internal of the pistol be broken or why would such a problem arise? I'm very new to pistol shooting so I lack of experience, it not impossible (but i don't think so) that the problem existed when I bought it.
I have had the pistol for about a week and been shooting perhaps 200 pellets. The previous owner bought it early 2016 or late 2015 and fired at most 1000 pellets. The only adjustments I have tried is the trigger over travel, trigger angle, grip inclination and tigger slack. The pistol looks new in every respect except that the case had some dust on it when I bought it (had been in the bottom of a wardrobe for a few months).

Best regards
A Swedish newbie
Last edited by gokartnisse on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwhite

Re: Questions regarding Fwb p44

Post by Gwhite »

It may just have been adjusted with too little safety margin at the factory. The problem you describe can happen with many pistols, especially after a lot of use. The trigger & sear surfaces can wear, and it's also possible a spring or too may have weakened slightly over time.

I have had to make the equivalent adjustment on both Hammerli & Benelli air pistols. It is far more likely that the internal parts have worn a little than that the screw has changed its setting on its own. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it happens again in a short period of time. In that case, the screw may require a dab of threadlocking compound (nail polish also works).
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

I have a similar experience with one LP10 after every cca 500 shots. The setting screws had to be secured with one or two drops of shellac. Then the problem disappeared "forever".
97nick

Post by 97nick »

Hi, my P44 was the same, when the dryfire mec was clicked over or as you say the gun was shaken it could go off. my gun is now about two years old and has been used nearly every day so I shudder to think how many shots it has gone through. it has never been serviced so I have booked one in for next month.

I also adjusted the trigger as you have done and the pistol is now fine, it is just sear wear I would think.
the manual does say to lube the rear part of the sear and i never did that which could explain the trigger! I didnt think it is the screw moving but as has been said locktite should fix it.