Older Steyr Mannlicher lp10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jwhelan939@aol.com

Older Steyr Mannlicher lp10

Post by Jwhelan939@aol.com »

Evening,
I have an old Steyr Mannlicher lp10 that I bought used here last year. I am having issues. The bolt roller is the older fixed style. It appears that it has warn down, and it will no longer allow the bolt arm to catch the bolt, keeping it closed. Based on an upgrade video produced by Steyr, I ordered the newer upgraded roller. In the video, they punch the trigger assembly, sear, and grip bushing pins out in order to remove the bolt. On the video the pins pop out nice and easy, in practice I've broken 2 punches attempting to remove them. Is anyone familiar with the Steyr Mannlicher? Do you have any insight on the pins?

Thank you for any insight
hundert

Re: Older Steyr Mannlicher lp10

Post by hundert »

You are referring to this, but there's a chance you could adjust the barrel to fix it? You seem to be ahead of me here, so ignore this post if I'm wrong. Is the bolt roller at an angle (broken or screw unscrewed itself)?

also, another stupid question, is there a room for the pin to move into? You may be punching it into the table. We've all been there when we were young... He has a hole drilled into his working bench on the video
Jwhelan939@aol.com

Afternoon hundert,
Thank you for your response. I tried adjusting the barrel a number of times without luck. You can see the roller has wear on the one side.

Lol. I hear you on that. I always use an armorers block when pushing pins.
hundert

Post by hundert »

all three of them not moving?

Try a heat gun, idk
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Scott Pilkington is a heck of a gunsmith, besides sponsoring this forum.

http://www.pilkguns.com/bio-scott.shtml

Chip
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Jwhelan939@aol.com wrote:On the video the pins pop out nice and easy, in practice I've broken 2 punches attempting to remove them.
You've managed to break two punches (really bad quality or improperly tempered steel) and those pins haven't budged a milimeter? I don't think those pins have locking adhesive on them, unless the previous owner put some on.

Did you watch both videos where the technician pushes out the pins in order from one side (where he unscrews the cocking lever) and pushes in the pins from the other side of the frame?
Jwhelan939@aol.com

Kevinweiho,
Agreed. They were both craftsman, by no means top quality, punches. I have watched the videos a dozen times. That's why I am so amazed they haven't budged. He just pops them out. I have no idea what the previous owner may have done with it in the time he had it. Maybe I'll try heating up the pins just in case he used any adhesives. If that doesn't work I may have to drill them out.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If the frame is aluminum & the pins are steel, heating the frame with a hair drier will cause it to expand more than the steel pins. I suspect they are just corroded in place. A drop or two of Kroil might help.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Jwhelan939@aol.com wrote:Kevinweiho,
Agreed. They were both craftsman, by no means top quality, punches. I have watched the videos a dozen times. That's why I am so amazed they haven't budged. He just pops them out. I have no idea what the previous owner may have done with it in the time he had it. Maybe I'll try heating up the pins just in case he used any adhesives. If that doesn't work I may have to drill them out.
I think what Kevin was getting at was, are you sure you were pushing them out from the correct side?
Jwhelan939@aol.com

I did follow the video, but I really think the pins in this early Mannlicher are staked. They weren't budging. I was able to rotate the bolt roller so that the warn side is facing down, and no longer effected the bolt arm. All is working perfectly now.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Great!!! Go forth and conquer!!!
hundert

Post by hundert »

France has surrendered!