Unique Des/69-U issues

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JFuller

Unique Des/69-U issues

Post by JFuller »

Experiencing a intermittent fail to feed problem, after shooting 4 of 5 rounds from the clip, the 5th round chambers but the hammer doesn't cock.
Only using CCI sv.
Anyone experienced this?
fc60

Re: Unique Des/69-U issues

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

A "shot in the dark"; but, here goes.

Has the barrel weight slid rearwards touching the recoil spring guide rod?

My old Unique did strange things when this happened.

Another thought, does the gun function correctly with other brands of ammo?

Cheers,

Dave
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Check that the sear engagement is adequate - that's the screw reached through the hole in the back of the grip. The other alternative would be that the take up is set too close. The system works best as a two stage though it can be set as single stage mine tends to get erratic in that mode.

Dr Jim
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

Thanks Dave but I only use SV, also I have always installed the weight touching the rod from new, tried a gap once and only had problems.

John
[quote="fc60"]Greetings,

A "shot in the dark"; but, here goes.

Has the barrel weight slid rearwards touching the recoil spring guide rod?

My old Unique did strange things when this happened.

[color=#4000FF]Another thought, does the gun function correctly with other brands of ammo?[/color]

Cheers,

Dave[/quote]
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

Jim
The sear engagement wasn't so light that the hammer dropped when the slide "slammed" home but only took one turn to the right to drop the hammer so I have moved back three clicks and will be heading to the range shortly to test the settings, also had cleaned and lubed the gun (hope Jim Lee isn't reading this) so I need to put a box or two downrange before tomorrows match.
Interesting that this 69/U doesn't have the usual grips that my 69 comes with, so no hole in the rear of the grip and no adj heel just a fixed one, luckily the grip fit me just the way it arrived from TEC, and the two stage trigger works well for me.

Cheers, John.

[quote="Dr. Jim"]Check that the sear engagement is adequate - that's the screw reached through the hole in the back of the grip. The other alternative would be that the take up is set too close. The system works best as a two stage though it can be set as single stage mine tends to get erratic in that mode.

Dr Jim[/quote]
astigmat2000

Post by astigmat2000 »

Hello,
I'm new here, on the forum and I've been shooting a DES69U for quite a while now. My best results are when using RWS Pistol Match. My colleagues worst results are when shooting American Eagle ammo.
It is difficult to move the barrel weight forward and not touching the spring rod. I drilled a little bit the weight to avoid contact.
Jacques/France
j-team

Post by j-team »

Has the recoil spring and mag spring ever been replaced?

If not they could be the problem (might be 40years old) and should be replaced.
astigmat2000

Post by astigmat2000 »

Hello,
On the DES 69 U there is a modification on the recoil spring. That enhancement consists in having 2 springs one inside the other to avoid the slide banging into the gun frame. I'm gonna put a few pics in here.
astigmat2000

Post by astigmat2000 »

I cannot add pics for the moment....I don't know why....
Attachments
Hole in the front weight
Hole in the front weight
WP_20170317_13_52_19_Pro.jpg
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

Wouldn't an extra spring just prevent the slide from recoiling all the way back and give me more problems.
I wonder if this was done to allow the use of High Velocity ammunition .
Thanks for the photos, do you know who recomended the two mods?

Regards. John.

[quote="astigmat2000"]Hello,
On the DES 69 U there is a modification on the recoil spring. That enhancement consists in having 2 springs one inside the other to avoid the slide banging into the gun frame. I'm gonna put a few pics in here.[/quote]
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

I knew this double spring setup was common for the 32U but I didn't know it was used on the 69 U as well. I will have to set it up and see how it works. The extra buffering and a little extra push forward would speed up slide cycling as well. Thanks!

Dr Jim
astigmat2000

Post by astigmat2000 »

Hello,
This modification was an update made when your gun went to Unique factory for maintenance. It was a while ago before they close the Company in Hendaye (South-west of France). Now the gunshop selling parts is http://armureriefmr.com
I will try to find info on that spring modification. It is a similar function as the recoil rubber device I installed on the rod of my Colt .45 to avoid chock on the frame.
Have a good Sunday...
Jacques
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

Was keeping the weight clear of the rod a factory recomendation, so drilling the weight something the factory started doing or others?

Regards, John
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

John, most of us with uniques have found that the gun starts to spray rounds erratically when the rod touches the weight. For thirty plus years I've regularly checked to make sure there is a gap, and I have had it go erratic during matches - early years - and had to readjust between strings. Like Jacques I've bored a hole in the weight to keep it out of contact. The full length weights butt against the receiver bridge and the rod cannot touch in that case. Your experience may differ of course!

Cheers
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

Jim, just looked at both my Uniques and it looks like by drilling into the weights to clear the rods will allow the weights to rest against the forwade end of the frame, is this what you are calling the bridge, this would also mean the slide hits the weight and remains open 1/8 to 1/4".

Thanks, John
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Well you don't want it to do that! Variations! Oh My!

Cheers
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

This should show that if I bore the weight and allow it to move back against the frame it will let the slide touch the weight and not close.
Are other 69 U different. John
Attachments
1-DSCF0907.JPG