No regrets going with a full length Steyr Evo.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
zanemoseley

No regrets going with a full length Steyr Evo.

Post by zanemoseley »

I just picked up my LH Steyr Evo with full length barrell. I am pushing expert scores in NRA bullseye, I've also shot a FAS 6004 for about a year and a half before selling it. Btw there is NO comparison in the quality of these 2 pistols.

After sighting in the pistol I ended up shooting a 94 on my 2nd full target, not bad for a new pistol. This is also with the front sight all the way forward as it is from the factory. It can be moved back in a couple locations to reduce sight radius.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have shot a good score with the compact model but I'm happy I went with the full size model, it gives you more options as you grow.

I know some people waiver on the decision of a compact versus full length barrel so perhaps my experience will help others. I will check back in as I shoot it more.
Last edited by zanemoseley on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hundert

Re: No regrets going with a full length Steyr Evo.

Post by hundert »

there are always compact pistols in women's world cup finals, there was one recently in the last one in New Delhi, an athlete from India had a Morini Short. I understand it's more of a weight thing
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

When I was buying my first match pistol I was strongly recommended to buy the compact version (which I did) and told that only once I was shooting consistently scores of 550+/600 I should consider changing to the full length model.

I never reached that high a score with the compact but after 6 months I DID change to a full length model (both were EVO-10's). And my scores have been steadily improving but I attribute that more to some coaching and lots of dry-fire practice than to going from compact to full-length.

But my main reasons for wanting to change were two things: First of all, the full length model is QUIETER (quite noticeably so) than the compact version. Shooting side by side it's quite apparent. And the second and more important reason for my change was that the compact version gets less shots per cylinder charge than the full length. At the club I usually shoot three full (60-shot) matches, plus a bunch of warm up shots and I couldn't do that even with two cylinders on the compact. With the regular, I have no problem doing so and can actually shoot 10 warm up shots, plus two full matches on one cylinder charge.

I really love the EVO-10.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
mhkhung

Post by mhkhung »

Mtl_Biker wrote:
But my main reasons for wanting to change were two things: First of all, the full length model is QUIETER (quite noticeably so) than the compact version. Shooting side by side it's quite apparent. And the second and more important reason for my change was that the compact version gets less shots per cylinder charge than the full length. At the club I usually shoot three full (60-shot) matches, plus a bunch of warm up shots and I couldn't do that even with two cylinders on the compact. With the regular, I have no problem doing so and can actually shoot 10 warm up shots, plus two full matches on one cylinder charge.

Something must be wrong with your short EVO's velocity. The short cylinder can definitely do 80 shots.
Chia

Post by Chia »

zanemoseley wrote:I know some people waiver on the decision of a compact versus full length barrel so perhaps my experience will help others. I will check back in as I shoot it more.
I have had little trouble with the full-length, so I don't disagree with you at all. But I'd like to point out that there are definitely multiple viewpoints on this subject, such as our host's. Happy shooting, and congrats on being happy with your gun.
j-team

Post by j-team »

mhkhung wrote:
Something must be wrong with your short EVO's velocity. The short cylinder can definitely do 80 shots.
Which is way less than 3x 60 shot matches plus warmups that Mtl_biker stated in his post if you had read it properly.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

mhkhung wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:

You're misunderstanding what I said... (or at least what I meant). :)

I like to shoot a bunch of warm-up shots 10, 20, sometimes a few more and then THREE FULL MATCHES. Three matches is 180 shots, plus the 10 or more, puts it OVER what I can do with the compact model with two cylinders. Yes, the short cylinder CAN do 80 shots, but that means even with two cylinders you cannot do three full matches plus warm up shots. You could do two full matches and 20+ warm ups, but that's about it. But the full-length cylinder can do quite easily 20 warm up shots and then two full matches on ONE cylinder! So it's no problem doing three full matches, even four, using two cylinders.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22