TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:44 am
Posts: 173
I just picked up my LH Steyr Evo with full length barrell. I am pushing expert scores in NRA bullseye, I've also shot a FAS 6004 for about a year and a half before selling it. Btw there is NO comparison in the quality of these 2 pistols.

After sighting in the pistol I ended up shooting a 94 on my 2nd full target, not bad for a new pistol. This is also with the front sight all the way forward as it is from the factory. It can be moved back in a couple locations to reduce sight radius.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have shot a good score with the compact model but I'm happy I went with the full size model, it gives you more options as you grow.

I know some people waiver on the decision of a compact versus full length barrel so perhaps my experience will help others. I will check back in as I shoot it more.


Last edited by zanemoseley on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:40 pm
Posts: 252
there are always compact pistols in women's world cup finals, there was one recently in the last one in New Delhi, an athlete from India had a Morini Short. I understand it's more of a weight thing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:06 am
Posts: 203
Location: Montreal, Canada
When I was buying my first match pistol I was strongly recommended to buy the compact version (which I did) and told that only once I was shooting consistently scores of 550+/600 I should consider changing to the full length model.

I never reached that high a score with the compact but after 6 months I DID change to a full length model (both were EVO-10's). And my scores have been steadily improving but I attribute that more to some coaching and lots of dry-fire practice than to going from compact to full-length.

But my main reasons for wanting to change were two things: First of all, the full length model is QUIETER (quite noticeably so) than the compact version. Shooting side by side it's quite apparent. And the second and more important reason for my change was that the compact version gets less shots per cylinder charge than the full length. At the club I usually shoot three full (60-shot) matches, plus a bunch of warm up shots and I couldn't do that even with two cylinders on the compact. With the regular, I have no problem doing so and can actually shoot 10 warm up shots, plus two full matches on one cylinder charge.

I really love the EVO-10.

_________________
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S Stainless .177, HW50S .22


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 pm
Posts: 40
Mtl_Biker wrote:

But my main reasons for wanting to change were two things: First of all, the full length model is QUIETER (quite noticeably so) than the compact version. Shooting side by side it's quite apparent. And the second and more important reason for my change was that the compact version gets less shots per cylinder charge than the full length. At the club I usually shoot three full (60-shot) matches, plus a bunch of warm up shots and I couldn't do that even with two cylinders on the compact. With the regular, I have no problem doing so and can actually shoot 10 warm up shots, plus two full matches on one cylinder charge.

I really love the EVO-10.


Something must be wrong with your short EVO's velocity. The short cylinder can definitely do 80 shots.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:53 am
Posts: 340
zanemoseley wrote:
I know some people waiver on the decision of a compact versus full length barrel so perhaps my experience will help others. I will check back in as I shoot it more.


I have had little trouble with the full-length, so I don't disagree with you at all. But I'd like to point out that there are definitely multiple viewpoints on this subject, such as our host's. Happy shooting, and congrats on being happy with your gun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:48 am
Posts: 1142
Location: New Zealand
mhkhung wrote:

Something must be wrong with your short EVO's velocity. The short cylinder can definitely do 80 shots.


Which is way less than 3x 60 shot matches plus warmups that Mtl_biker stated in his post if you had read it properly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:06 am
Posts: 203
Location: Montreal, Canada
mhkhung wrote:
Mtl_Biker wrote:

But my main reasons for wanting to change were two things: First of all, the full length model is QUIETER (quite noticeably so) than the compact version. Shooting side by side it's quite apparent. And the second and more important reason for my change was that the compact version gets less shots per cylinder charge than the full length. At the club I usually shoot three full (60-shot) matches, plus a bunch of warm up shots and I couldn't do that even with two cylinders on the compact. With the regular, I have no problem doing so and can actually shoot 10 warm up shots, plus two full matches on one cylinder charge.

I really love the EVO-10.


Something must be wrong with your short EVO's velocity. The short cylinder can definitely do 80 shots.


You're misunderstanding what I said... (or at least what I meant). :)

I like to shoot a bunch of warm-up shots 10, 20, sometimes a few more and then THREE FULL MATCHES. Three matches is 180 shots, plus the 10 or more, puts it OVER what I can do with the compact model with two cylinders. Yes, the short cylinder CAN do 80 shots, but that means even with two cylinders you cannot do three full matches plus warm up shots. You could do two full matches and 20+ warm ups, but that's about it. But the full-length cylinder can do quite easily 20 warm up shots and then two full matches on ONE cylinder! So it's no problem doing three full matches, even four, using two cylinders.

_________________
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S Stainless .177, HW50S .22


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group