TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:38 pm 

I have not found the UTG style trap to be noisy, compared to using a duct seal trap. But, that's shooting 7 grain pellets at ~ 500 ft/s (~ 5J). Certainly, noise is subjective (even when measured). Is a 'box-O-rags' quiet - or quieter than duct seal? I can't tell much difference for 10m airguns unless its with a bare steel trap which tends to 'ring' when hit. Certainly, YMMV and the 'rags' or ballistic cloth have a finite life and require replacement.

Edit: to stay more on topic, here is an Ebay seller in Canada for Ghemann traps:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gehmann-Targets ... 1071453428

Edit II: Pilkguns air pistol Gehmann trap:
http://www.pilkguns.com/buildrange.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:16 am 

Thank everyone for all of your suggestions.

Target-Air finally got back with me and I have placed my order. In the mean time, I had built a frame to hold the slightly smaller targets for my old trap. I had purchased a trap locally that I had intended to use but it became dented with my standard 480fps pistol. I considered this a safety hazard so I disposed of it. It was rated for pellets at that velocity though. I was very surprised. I am currently shooting so much that the boxes of rags etc wouldn't work because I would be going thru rags and cardboard boxes left and right. I also don't like mickey mouse solutions.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Best Regards,

David Finell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:49 am 

You CAN'T shoot through a box of rags unless you put in too few. As you shoot the pellets build up into a solid lump that will stop everything. The more you shoot, the more "bullet-proof" it becomes.

It seems to me the solution is more "elegant" than Mickey Mouse.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:28 pm 

Is the Target Air trap essentially a heavier duty version of the Gamo trap sized for standard targets?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:23 am 

Gammo makes several traps. This is a cone style trap built with 3mm steel. It is an extremely heavy duty. Target-Air makes two sizes of this trap. One is a 14cm version. I suspect this is the standard size for rifle targets. The one I ordered is the 17cm version which is the proper size for the kruger ISSF 10M AP targets.

I think I posted a link to the product when I started this thread. Check them out. They seem to make some really nice very heavy duty products.

Best Regards,

David Finell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:21 am 

I looked at the photo, and it looked exactly like my old Gamo trap.

That old Gamo trap was made from thinner steel which was not a real problem except for the deflector at the back. The deflector would deform from hits from a 480 fps air pistol, and eventually shots would bounce back to the shooter.

The old Gamo trap I had would only fit Gamo targets which were not standard 10m targets.

Looks like this is a much more rugged version and the target fixture in the from holds standard targets