Supported Air Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Albert T

Re: Supported Air Pistol

Post by Albert T »

In the Netherlands we also shoot air rifle and air pistol supported. We follow the German rules with the only difference being the age: 55 to 65 years we call class Veterans-1; 65 and up we call class Veterans-2. It is also used for juniors under 15 years of age. Attached 2 pictures of the support as regulated by our national association (KNSA).
The air rifle must be supported with the for end of the stock, the pistol must be supported with the bottom of the grip. The support takes carries the weight of the gun. With a rifle you need as much mass as possible at the front of the rifle, otherwise it will slip down from the shoulder. The correct position is standing aprox 30 degrees turned away from the target in stead of 90 degrees from the target (see the site of Heinz Reinkemeier). It is much more difficult than it seems, the support causes an angular displacement of the gun over the target instead of a parallel displacement like in free standing.
Try it and you will be amazed how difficult it is to hit a 10.

Albert T
(The Netherlands)
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Albert T wrote:In the Netherlands we also shoot air rifle and air pistol supported. We follow the German rules with the only difference being the age: 55 to 65 years we call class Veterans-1; 65 and up we call class Veterans-2. It is also used for juniors under 15 years of age. Attached 2 pictures of the support as regulated by our national association (KNSA).
The air rifle must be supported with the for end of the stock, the pistol must be supported with the bottom of the grip. The support takes carries the weight of the gun. With a rifle you need as much mass as possible at the front of the rifle, otherwise it will slip down from the shoulder. The correct position is standing aprox 30 degrees turned away from the target in stead of 90 degrees from the target (see the site of Heinz Reinkemeier). It is much more difficult than it seems, the support causes an angular displacement of the gun over the target instead of a parallel displacement like in free standing.
Try it and you will be amazed how difficult it is to hit a 10.

Albert T
(The Netherlands)
Good to hear from someone actually participating in this.

Here in the US, I would like to see 40-shots instead of 30. Simply because I would like to shoot 4 series instead of just 3. (Just getting into the match by the time 30 flashes by.)

30-40 shots is still different (not comparable) to the regular 60-shot match for others, which makes sense. And the mixed gender status matters not a single bit to me. Since I'm already shooting less than the sharp-eyed youngsters, I won't mind shooting with the gals. I'm not Italian/European, but over 60, so I'm well enough adjusted not to fear that my manhood is in jeopardy.
shajecolo

Post by shajecolo »

The NTC Shooting Club is conducting Supported Rest Rifle and Pistol matches this year during our monthly tournaments at the OTC in Colorado Springs. Let me know if you'd like a Match Program - shajecolo@hotmail.com
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

j-team wrote: it's not an ISSF "game". just another one of those events made up by people who can't win the normal way!
Seems kind of harsh. I guess then you're not for the Para-Olympics then either.

I'm all for alternative solutions to allow people to keep shooting as they age, or smaller stature people to come into shooting who can use a little help until they gain some strength and size.

I would doubt shooters using a support are matched up on the results board against those who aren't.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Joe58 wrote:Seems kind of harsh. I guess then you're not for the Para-Olympics then either.
Never mind. j-team probably heckles the little kids using the ramp at the bowling alley too.

Any sport/event/game is simply a competition centered around an agreed to abstract set of rules.

always disturbs me how passionate people can get about others not playing the "right" way.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
j-team

Post by j-team »

SlartyBartFast wrote:Never mind. j-team probably heckles the little kids using the ramp at the bowling alley too.
No. wouldn't heckle the little kids using a ramp, but sure would heckle anyone using one that doesn't need it but chooses to in order to try to get a higher score!

Shooting is diluted enough already, so many different disciplines and divisions, this is yet another.
Rover

Post by Rover »

DFWdude wrote:I have written to USA Shooting about this ISSF program. I emphasized that this program for seniors would be a great complement to the existing "Progressive Position Air Pistol" program for juniors. If I get an answer, I will report back.

But it doesn't prevent others (YOU) making their desires known as well. The more people who ask, the better our chances to ilicit a response. Just log onto the USA Shooting site and click on the "Contact Us" tab and leave your thoughts.
Isn't this why they have Senior and Grand Senior classifications?
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

After an absence from the 10m game of 25 years, I shot my first “ISSF Supported Rest” pistol match in Dallas TX. Thanks to the local club for allowing me to play with this new option.

Starting shooting again last year. My last 4 matches offhand had me shooting an 8.1 average per shot.. The Supported Rest option (just one match stats) has me shooting an average 8.9 per shot. So, some improvement, but it’s not easy… the required round surface is like balancing the pistol on the head of a pin.

The required 50mm x 100mm half-round rest (Dark Brown) is a 3D-printed part.

They say that "memory is the first thing to go" as we get older. But after a 2-1/2 decade absence, the flinched shots seemed all too familiar. :-)

I don't know if I will continue to shoot supported rest... Let's just say I was curious about this, so...
Attachments
SuppRest-2.jpg
SuppRest-1.jpg
Albert T

Post by Albert T »

Nice pictures and showing the correct way for supported pistol shooting. I love the added half-round support on top of the rest. In the Netherlands we use the same set-up but national rules allow a half-round or round top of support of max. 30mm diameter and a distance between the centre of the 3 support feet of max. 300mm.

Albert T
(The Netherlands)
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Albert, I used a tripod at this match so that I could adjust the height up or down, then mark the measurement, prior to making an actual monopole support on a stand with lesser footprint, if I choose to continue to shoot this style, since it is currently not a sanctioned style in the US.

It's good to see a wider adoption of supported rest shooting in Europe, but it hasn't gained any traction in the US, yet.