Golden Oldie RWS Model 6 Pistol??

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jon Math

Golden Oldie RWS Model 6 Pistol??

Post by Jon Math »

I have a friend that has just purchased an old RWS model 6 spring air pistol. I’ve looked on line for him but cannot find any info on adjusting the trigger. There are two or three screws with corresponding opening in the trigger guard leading him to believe they are user adjustable. Does anyone know or can put me in a direction where to find a manual or what the screws do, or who might still service such an old pistol in the US?
Thanks
Jon
Rover

Re: Golden Oldie RWS Model 6 Pistol??

Post by Rover »

I had one about thirty years ago, so I can't remember a damn thing about it. Anyone who repairs springer air rifles should be able to fix it (if broken).
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

Same here, mine and the manual are long gone. I found an instruction sheet on line, but it’s in German and the technical terms they use did not translate at all. I seem to recall that you could change the weights of the first and second stage, and maybe the length of each stage, but it’s been too long ago. I also recall the sear was controlled with a screw and that was not to be adjusted by the user.

It’s got that recoilless dual piston set up and I was not sure if that required special skills to work on.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Jon, On my old website I stripped and repaired a 6/G/M. They were badged Diana, or RWS or Original.

I have pm'd you with a link to the complete article which will be on my google drive for a short while.

my description of the trigger was as follows
Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 18.51.06.jpg
Important: Always test the trigger by firing the loaded pistol; never fire the pistol "dry" or you may damage the new seal. This means you need to have a safe backstop on the bench, such as a shoe box full of old socks or an empty baked bean tin with an inch of plasticene or soft putty in the bottom.

The trigger adjustment is simple and limited.

The first screw is a lock screw for the compound adjusting screw, so loosen it before adjusting the trigger and tighten it afterwards.

The actual break point of the trigger cannot be adjusted; it is controlled by the length of the sear faces. Inless you have a Dremel to remove material and a welder to stick it back on, leave it!.

The compound screw is all there is to adjust.
The outer screw affects the position of the second stage.
Too far in and there is single stage, heavy, or even locked.
Too far out and single stage, light (too light for the 500g minimum.

The trick is to take off the frame so you can see under the compound screw and wind in the outer screw until there is a small gap between the trigger and the ball bearing in the centre of the compound screw. That gap gives the first stage travel.

The inner screw increases the tension of the spring behind the ball bearing. Screw it in to increase trigger weight, and also the weight differential between first and second stages. I prefer to start it in to max depth then back off a turn.

That will give you the max weight differential (or feel) between first and second stages.

Now screw out the outer screw a bit at a time until the movement after engaging the second stage before release of trigger is at a minimum (and therefore first stage movement is maximum)

Hope it helps.

(Anyone wants it for the Ten P files I will gladly donate it - it will need the html tweaking a bit)
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

This is awesome!
Thank you very much
Jon
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Jon Math wrote:who might still service such an old pistol in the US?
You can contact Umarex, https://www.umarexusa.com/pages/custome ... KahztThBnI they are the importers of RWS/Diana airguns in the U.S.

Don't continue shooting until the pistol has been serviced, the gears of the Giss piston can be damaged.

If you're mechanically inclined, you can purchase the seals and mainsprings from Air Rifle Headquarters (Jim Maccari):

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/cat ... 087340.htm

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/cat ... 952515.htm
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

Thank you! Umerix rebuilt a RWS 75 for me a few years ago, did a very nice job too. I was not even thinking of them for the pistol for some reason. It’s not my pistol but will pass along the info-thank you again!
embee

Post by embee »

TenMetrePeter wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:50 pm Jon, On my old website I stripped and repaired a 6/G/M. They were badged Diana, or RWS or Original.

I have pm'd you with a link to the complete article which will be on my google drive for a short while.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but do you still have the above mentioned article? Could you send it to me?

Thanks in advance!