Dealing with plateaus

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

Re: Dealing with plateaus

Post by Houngan »

AlexFromPardini wrote:The difference is I'm seeing the movement before the shot break. Granted, I should be cancelling the shot at that point, but I'm not perfect in that regard. For trigger break, I'm very happy at this point, it's one of the stronger parts of my game right now. But on target I'll get a before-break movement downward or an alignment problem inward just before break, which seems like it has to be process error, rather than break error.
Maybe in anticipation of the shot you are releasing tension in your wrist...Does just the front sight move downward or the whole pistol?

Have you tried using a SCATT machine? This will actually show you alot of what you are doing. In addition, if you have movement and are worried that the movement is great, then you are more likely to make the mistake. Its a weird psychological tendency. For some reason, when you think of the negative outcome, it is more likely to happen.

For instance, when I was in Austria, my hold "seemed" atrocious...but when i went on the scatt machine it showed me that the hold was actually really good (70%-90%within the 10.0 ring) and it just looked as though it was alot.
I have found that the better I get, the more critical I am of the hold.

Also, the scatt sensor can show you what mistakes you are making and how your hold changes depending on what you are doing and it can show exactly what you need to work on
I believe you have spotted it, I think it might be losing focus/relaxing too soon, particularly with the sliding hold. My main problem is the front sight moving after a few seconds of solid hold, so there's definitely a change happening during the shot, particularly after starting the break.
AlexFromPardini

Re: Dealing with plateaus

Post by AlexFromPardini »

Do some holding drills, except when you are doing them focus on the front sight and make yourself hold the front sight steady. I know it sounds a bit strange but you can train yourself to extend this period of steadiness.
Alexander Chichkov
USA Shooting Team