Olympic Pistol 25M Events

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Shaswatha

Olympic Pistol 25M Events

Post by Shaswatha »

Just getting serious about Olympic Pistol 25M Events and have lots of questions, if any one can help.

1. What are the Olympic 25M events?
2. Any clubs in Dallas TX ?
3. Have a Ruger MK 3 and have been shooting decently but will this suffice or need Walther/Pardini etc? If Yes where can one buy, preferably a used inexpensive one to start with?
4. Ammo - is CCI good enough for practice or do I have to get Eley?
5. Specialized spectacles - head mounted ones - where can i get them?

Thanks and regards,
Shaswatha
Rover

Re: Olympic Pistol 25M Events

Post by Rover »

Ruger good enough. CCI Standard good enough for everything. Why do you think you need glasses? The events depend on which sex you are. What are you?
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

Does Ruger offer a five round magazine? I know you can just load five but in the stress of a competition it would not be that hard to accidently under or over load one.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

OK. There are two 25m events.

Rapid Fire (Men): Five targets at 25m. One shot into each target. Two 5-shot strings in 8 seconds, two in 6 seconds, two in 4 seconds. Repeat the cycle to get a max score of 600. Olympic finals are squirrely...you shoot 4 second strings, but it's scored hit/miss - to the 9.7 ring, IIRC. Did I mention that you start from low ready?

The biggest RF challenge is finding a target bay. Those are scarce in the USA. There's provision in the USAS rules to do this with a shot timer, but the target setup is also pretty specific as to target spacing (business opportunity for a folding static RF bay, if someone made one).

Sport Pistol (Women): Slow-fire on the precision target. 30 shots. "Rapid" fire (traditionally called "Duel") on the Rapid Fire target - target faces for 3 seconds, edges for 7 seconds. You have the three seconds to come up from low ready, aim, and fire. Return to low ready while the target is edged.

This is easier to find, the target setup is simpler. If nothing else, there are good shot timer apps available that can help with training.

Not to mention the priceless information on both events at our host's website. Lots of information there, don't scorn it.

WRT glasses, I find it helps. Pilkington sells Varga frames, Champion's Choice sells Knoblocks and Champions. All are good. The key is getting the right prescription - I highly recommend Dr. Alan Toler's Custom Sight Picture kit. http://www.customsightpicture.com.

The Ruger will do to start. Get a good trigger into it ASAP. Ammo is whatever match round will shoot accurately...CCI Standard Velocity will do for a novice.

Once you get into the higher levels of competition, you'll want a high-end pistol. Pardini dominates RF totally. SP is another matter, it's a tossup between Pardini and Walther, with a fair representation of other pistols. The For Sale board here is good. Gunbroker.com is good if you know what to look for.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

You're in luck regarding Items 2 and 3...

Local "club" is Team Shooting Stars in Dallas... https://www.teamshootingstars.org/news/ ... h-schedule

An excellent place to shop (in person) for any Olympic shooting discipline -- in Arlington, TX -- Is Neil Stepp at International Shooters Service... http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/

I shoot CCI Green Tag for FP. Someone else will have to tell you want the current equivalent is, as CCI no longer produces Green Tag (I'm told). No reason to shoot Eley as a beginner.
Shaswatha

Post by Shaswatha »

Gentlemen!
Thank you for the overwhelming help from so many of you. Sincerely appreciate. Dallas Pistol Club is close to my place and has an event coming up on 2/21, will participate. They have the below events, any suggestions which one can i get into with my Ruger Mk 3 .22? I shoot decent upto 25M.

Events:
– Free Pistol (9:45am)
– Standard Pistol (12:45pm)
– Sport Pistol (2:15p)
– Centerfire Pistol (2:15p)
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Free, Standard, and Sport. Though you'd be at a disadvantage for Free, it's usually shot with a dedicated single-shot pistol.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Mike M. wrote:Free, Standard, and Sport. Though you'd be at a disadvantage for Free, it's usually shot with a dedicated single-shot pistol.
Don't let that discourage you. A lot of people can't shoot the fancy free pistols all that well, and I have seen a match won with a S&W Model 41. It was shot at MIT at 50 feet by Don Hamilton around 1980. I don't recall the exact score, but knowing Don, it was probably > 530. He actually started out shooting a Hammerli 162 with an electronic trigger, but it died early in the match. He took out his Model 41 and finished with that.

The downside of a semi-auto is that you have to single load it, which for some models can get a bit tedious.
Rover

Post by Rover »

DFWdude, I was told by a friend who toured the CCI plant that Green Tag is just a select lot of CCI Standard Velocity.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Gwhite wrote:
Mike M. wrote:Free, Standard, and Sport. Though you'd be at a disadvantage for Free, it's usually shot with a dedicated single-shot pistol.
Don't let that discourage you. A lot of people can't shoot the fancy free pistols all that well, and I have seen a match won with a S&W Model 41. It was shot at MIT at 50 feet by Don Hamilton around 1980. I don't recall the exact score, but knowing Don, it was probably > 530. He actually started out shooting a Hammerli 162 with an electronic trigger, but it died early in the match. He took out his Model 41 and finished with that.

The downside of a semi-auto is that you have to single load it, which for some models can get a bit tedious.
I'm no Don Hamilton, but I did the exact same thing a few years ago for the NRA Sectional. My Toz died about three shots in and I finished the match with my Walther GSP. I was in the 530s somewhere.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Hi. This is Ricardo from Team Shooting Stars. I suggest you definitely sign up for standard and sport pistol. Sport is normally for women only, but it's the same course of fire as centerfire pistol, so it's a great way to get into it. You're welcome to try Free Pistol, but as mentioned above you'll have to load one round at a time. The matches are at the Dallas Pistol Club, but you need to sign up at our website. Hope you come!
Shaswatha

Post by Shaswatha »

Walter gsp is good enough or do I need Walter ssp?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you are just starting out, a GSP should be more than adequate. Once you get some mileage on it, you may eventually decide to try something else, but it won't hold you back in any way.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Shaswatha, you should come shoot bullseye pistol with us at Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club. Fourth Sunday of every month, starts at 9am. Hope to see you there.
Also join our facebook group at Texas Precision Pistol Network.
Shaswatha

Post by Shaswatha »

Picked up a Walther GSP from Neil today. Question - what is a decent score ?
State level
US level
Where can i research?
Rover

Post by Rover »

You have two offers of places to shoot. Go! You'll quickly find out what decent scores are.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

GSPs are the shit (biased?). Look historically and people shot them just as good as any of the modern standard pistols in the classic events.
Modern RFP is only space where it might not keep pace with a Pardini in 4s, but that's just a guess; I haven't begun to even get close to the limits of my GSP.
Imho the two stage trigger upgrade is well worth a look. Gives it a bit of a modern feel. Beware of the SSP, jam-o-matic - integral clip fed magazines are less than awesome.

Occasionally they come up on Egun.de - the steel framed model is a bit better than the two piece brass/bronze one as it does not flex when tightened into the alloy lower.
http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=6314404

http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shoo ... -g-for-GSP
http://www.carl-walther.de/cw.php?lang= ... product=36
https://www.google.com/patents/US5924231

Image Image
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Shaswatha, we missed you last Sunday at the Terrell Bullseye pistol match. Next monthly match is April 23rd starts at 9am, it would be great practice for the Texas Precision Pistol State Championship on May 6-7. Hope to see you there.
https://www.tsra.com/event/2017-texas-s ... mpionship/