How does one join the ISSF, or is that even a thing?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

How does one join the ISSF, or is that even a thing?

Post by Houngan »

I'd like to shoot some bigger matches, is it just a matter of getting the online registration set up, or is there an actual "membership" in the ISSF? I can't seem to find a straight answer on the site.
SlartyBartFast

Re: How does one join the ISSF, or is that even a thing?

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Houngan wrote:I'd like to shoot some bigger matches, is it just a matter of getting the online registration set up, or is there an actual "membership" in the ISSF? I can't seem to find a straight answer on the site.
Your national body joins the ISSF. You don't.

Where are you located?
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

SlartyBartFast wrote:
Houngan wrote:I'd like to shoot some bigger matches, is it just a matter of getting the online registration set up, or is there an actual "membership" in the ISSF? I can't seem to find a straight answer on the site.
Your national body joins the ISSF. You don't.

Where are you located?
Louisville KY. So I need to join a national body? USA Shooting?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Houngan wrote:I'd like to shoot some bigger matches
Define "bigger matches".

For the matches supervised by the ISSF, World Cups, Continental Games/Championships, World Championships and Olympic Games, Entries (up to maximum team sizes) are accepted from Governing Bodies who are members of the ISSF.

They will usually select teams based on rankings or trials (or finances)
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

David Levene wrote:
Houngan wrote:I'd like to shoot some bigger matches
Define "bigger matches".

For the matches supervised by the ISSF, World Cups, Continental Games/Championships, World Championships and Olympic Games, Entries (up to maximum team sizes) are accepted from Governing Bodies who are members of the ISSF.

They will usually select teams based on rankings or trials (or finances)
Up to ISSF World Cup events. Am I correct in thinking that USA Shooting is our national body?
Chia

Post by Chia »

Yes. Membership is pretty cheap, and you must be a member to compete and have your scores reported.
Rover

Post by Rover »

They will also "classify" you. Also, matches will be posted on their website. Unless you're playing with the big boys, my club has found them to be pretty useless.
hundert

Post by hundert »

In competition you need to hold 97 per series and in training even more than that. Each country normally has only a few such individuals

I believe participating costs a couple of hundred dollars, not counting the plane ticket, hotel etc, and normally people from the national team participate
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

hundert wrote:In competition you need to hold 97 per series and in training even more than that. Each country normally has only a few such individuals

I believe participating costs a couple of hundred dollars, not counting the plane ticket, hotel etc, and normally people from the national team participate
Oh yeah, looong way to go, but I gained immensely from competing above my ability in IPSC. Hard to beat for experience.
JD Mahan

Post by JD Mahan »

In the US, there are meets that bring the domestic big boys together, and are open to anyone who is a USAS member.

For example, the Winter Airgun matches, usually the first week in Dec, are held in Colorado Springs.

And you don't need to hold a 97 avg; it won't hurt, but a 95 avg would have made the finals all 3 days.

Go to the USAS website and look for matches. There are lots, different levels. Warning, the website is pretty clunky
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

JD Mahan wrote:In the US, there are meets that bring the domestic big boys together, and are open to anyone who is a USAS member.

For example, the Winter Airgun matches, usually the first week in Dec, are held in Colorado Springs.

And you don't need to hold a 97 avg; it won't hurt, but a 95 avg would have made the finals all 3 days.

Go to the USAS website and look for matches. There are lots, different levels. Warning, the website is pretty clunky
Thanks, and there's the rub: I generally hold a 92 right now at home, but at a match it's 25 points lower, thus my desire to get in matches early and see if I can't bring the two numbers closer together (and hopefully improve as well.)
JD Mahan

Post by JD Mahan »

Well, a 552 would have been top 20 each day, and a 527 (552 - 25) would have been top 50.
Rover

Post by Rover »

A constant 552 average would only get you in at the bottom of a AA (USAS) rating. It would need to come up to 558 to make NRA Master.

Run with the big dogs; your scores will come up.
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

You can go to the Grand Prix of Liberation in Plzen, Czech Republic. The competition is open to anyone who's a member of a club affiliated with their National ISSF organization. The competition takes place in the beginning of May every year. A friend and myself went last year, and we shot Air Pistol, Free Pistol, Standard Pistol and Centrefire Pistol. Rapid fire pistol is also offered, as well as various rifle events. I realize it's a bit further away for you than for those of us who live in Europe, but it's a great competition.

Also, both the food and beer is both good and reasonable!

Their website: http://www.shooting-plzen.cz/

Invitation and entry forms: http://www.shooting-plzen.cz/VCO2017/vco17.htm

Results from previous years: http://liberation.hyperlink.cz/
hundert

Post by hundert »

I only see names from my national team in that list last year @ Rune

maybe too expensive for a private person? I also see Thomas Rink in the list, who makes grips
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, you could shoot the Desert Midwinter at Phoenix Rod & Gun this month. It is USAS and NRA affiliated and there would definitely be some "big boys" there. It's not all that expensive.

Last weekend I shot next to Steve Reiter, five times National Champion and holder of 30 or 40 National Records. All we exchanged were rude remarks, but ex-military are like that. Good fun!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Houngan wrote:Thanks, and there's the rub: I generally hold a 92 right now at home, but at a match it's 25 points lower, thus my desire to get in matches early and see if I can't bring the two numbers closer together (and hopefully improve as well.)
Don't worry about it. We have local matches with plenty of people who are still trying to break 500. The top scores rarely break 560. If you want to shoot well in competition, you should start competing whenever you can.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Gwhite wrote:
Houngan wrote:Thanks, and there's the rub: I generally hold a 92 right now at home, but at a match it's 25 points lower, thus my desire to get in matches early and see if I can't bring the two numbers closer together (and hopefully improve as well.)
Don't worry about it. We have local matches with plenty of people who are still trying to break 500. The top scores rarely break 560. If you want to shoot well in competition, you should start competing whenever you can.
I agree, though unfortunately it's pretty thin here in the Midwest for AP matches. I did find another last weekend, moved up to 541, so positive improvement. The frustrating thing was that on my sighter, I had a 97! First spot was a 50, which I've never done before.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"The frustrating thing was that on my sighter, I had a 97! First spot was a 50, which I've never done before."

Don't worry, that sort of thing happens to the best of us. You'll soon find a dismal target or two to bring you down.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Rover wrote:"The frustrating thing was that on my sighter, I had a 97! First spot was a 50, which I've never done before."

Don't worry, that sort of thing happens to the best of us. You'll soon find a dismal target or two to bring you down.
Sure, they were called "the ones that actually counted." I do need to work on stamina, I'm finding that I'm shooting much better for the first ten shots and then start declining rapidly.