Are there particular exercises that can be practiced to reduce firearm wobble?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BobbyJones

Are there particular exercises that can be practiced to reduce firearm wobble?

Post by BobbyJones »

Are there particular exercises that can be practiced to reduce firearm wobble? I currently engage in holding drills and dry fire exercises, and I'm often amazed at how steady the front post appears within the rear cutout. However, I am considerably less satisfied with the amount of wobble that I experience. In an attempt to address this issue, I have gradually transitioned to decaf coffee, assuming it would help reduce the wobble, but I have noticed minimal improvement, if any. I believe that the sway is primarily caused by movements of my entire body rather than just my arm.
thirdwheel

Re: Are there particular exercises that can be practiced to reduce firearm wobble?

Post by thirdwheel »

Wobble and sway are different, think you are concerned about sway, oh and well done in getting off the caffeine, it does help.
To help your internal gyroscope your brain needs reference points so keep the non aiming eye open and use a blinder - a small one so the non aiming eye can use the rest of the vision to see and help you keep still. Try different angle stances to see if one gives a null point or better stability (bet you have done this). A balance exercise you can do is stand on one leg when you are cleaning your teeth - give it a go.
During dry fire on a blank wall you can amaze yourself how still you can hold that sight picture and is exactly what you have found, put in an aiming mark and it all goes to hell in a hand cart, to minimise this you use a "aim area" and not try and lollypop the front sight under the black - go lower away from its draw and aim in a blank area. Here is where stance and setup come in, spend time getting your natural point of aim to be where you want it, don't be afraid to put a carpenters rule on the floor like rifle shooters do so the stance can be replicated again and again, oh and just to make it easier your natural point of aim changes as you progress through a match.
Now you lift to your natural point of aim and ignore the movement (bet you can't, only look at the front sight and it's relationship the the rear sight ) and concentrate 100% on your super sight relationship that you mention you have and slowly squeeze the trigger -pop- solid aim follow through. Just to cheer you up bet it's not your aim and perceived wobble that is the only problem.
PirateJohn

Re: Are there particular exercises that can be practiced to reduce firearm wobble?

Post by PirateJohn »

Here are some things I do:

-- Using 6 lb. hand weights, sit down on a workout bench with the weights held to my side. Over the course of four seconds, lift my arms until horizontal. Hold my arms horizontal for four seconds, then over the course of tge next four seconds, lower my arms again. Do three sets of ten.

-- Hold a 6 lb. weight as though aiming it. Slowly draw figure eights in the air. Repeat with non-shooting arm.

-- Use a gyroscope wrist strengthener. About 15 minutes per day.

-- While standing on a balance board, try to hold a gun with the sights lined up against a blank wall.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Sorry, but 6 pounds is WAY too heavy. 3 pounds or so is better to strengthen the type of muscle tissue needed for pistol shooting. Lots of reps with lighter weights is better than heavy lifting.

Here is an exercise that works a lot of the required muscles. You will have to build your own device, but it's easy to do.

http://pistol.mit.edu/wp-content/upload ... ctions.pdf
Chris

Post by Chris »

some isometric exercises are also helpful. You can use a doorway for left and right. I use a bookshelf for up/down at the correct height for where my arm is when shooting. Hold arm out and push up/dn/left/right against the stationary object.

2x per day. 10 reps of 20s each direction.
Th.

Post by Th. »

PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:10 pm Sorry, but 6 pounds is WAY too heavy. 3 pounds or so is better to strengthen the type of muscle tissue needed for pistol shooting.
It will vary from person to person. I'm a big guy and was a discus thrower in college, so six pounds isn't uncomfortable for me. I wanted to find a weight that I could handle while going through the motions very slowly and under control. Each person will need to find what weight works for them, but indeed you should use no more weight than you can do with 100% control and do a lot of reps.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

I remember years ago seeing a university fitness training program but despite searching again I have not been able to find it. Anyone seen it? It was quite comprehensive.
It could be the scrid document above as not a member.