Why Do So Many Dislike the Evo 10?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Chia

Re: Why Do So Many Dislike the Evo 10?

Post by Chia »

v76 wrote:Troll feeding is a dangerous practice
Don't think this one is a troll, but enough with the logical fallacies and other crud guys. I'm an avid bookworm and enjoy philosophy, but this debate is way off-topic. What is important is what people think of the gun and how it works.

And I have yet to see anyone who owns the gun post a negative comment.
RyanA

Post by RyanA »

I love my Evo 10 E compact in black with silver cylinders, that I don't even own, as far as my wife knows, yet...

Technically, I did not lie. When she asked: "What's in that box?" I replied: "Gun parts.", meaning all of the parts needed to assemble a brand new Evo 10 E compact, already assembled, conveniently.

I'm going to be in deep trouble soon. Let this be a lesson to you young folks that might be following this post. Always ask for forgiveness, not permission. It works 100% of the time, 25% of the time.

10.9's to you folks,
Ryan

BTW, the trigger is magical, and the rear sight is a significant improvement over my 12-or-so year old LP10 mech. long. Rover, among others, will not be surprised to learn that my scores are not magically higher all of a sudden. But, it is so awesome, and sexy! If I didn't shoot alone 99.99999999999% of the time, the ladies would be like: "Wow, that ancient dad has a cool looking air pistol!"
Rover

Post by Rover »

I guess the way to PCP ownership is to squeal like a pig as she flails you about the head and shoulders.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Ah, I finally figured out how to place post-whores and Trolls on my ignore list.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Ryan,
glad to hear you are loving yours, gives me some more confidence in mine. I'm shooting ok with mine but I just can't seem to nail it down into really tight ragged hole groups like I could with my LP400.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

bootneckbob wrote:Ryan,
glad to hear you are loving yours, gives me some more confidence in mine. I'm shooting ok with mine but I just can't seem to nail it down into really tight ragged hole groups like I could with my LP400.
I love mine also! I first had an EVO-10 Compact and after 30,000+ shots with it (and with my scores improving) I sold it to a friend and got myself another EVO-10 but regular length this time. And I love that one even more! There are 4 or 5 EVO-10 shooters at my local club that I know of.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
v76

Post by v76 »

MtlBiker, do you shoot at the "new" FQT range ? Might have to take a look!
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Mtl_Biker wrote:
bootneckbob wrote:Ryan,
I love mine also! I first had an EVO-10 Compact and after 30,000+ shots with it (and with my scores improving) I sold it to a friend and got myself another EVO-10 but regular length this time. And I love that one even more! There are 4 or 5 EVO-10 shooters at my local club that I know of.
I should have added mine is full length also. I'm going to bring the sight line down and make it shorter, I've never done that with any of my previous pistols ( LP50, LP400) all full length; then again, none off them were electronic triggers. I felt I had more connection with the break on my Walther. My EVO e is still standard other than I had to increase the trigger pull weight as it was too light out of the box when tested at my club.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

v76 wrote:MtlBiker, do you shoot at the "new" FQT range ? Might have to take a look!
Yes I do. It's really nice and the electronic targets spoil you badly! At home and at my office I use paper targets and with pistol it's not too bad but with rifle the targets I use have 5 bulls, so you have to keep (oh so slightly) changing your position for each one. Shooting rifle at the FQTIR is SO nice... once you're in position you don't have to change anything from shot to shot (that is of course as long as you're correctly positioned to begin with).

The range is open Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights from 6pm to 9pm.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

bootneckbob wrote: I should have added mine is full length also. I'm going to bring the sight line down and make it shorter, I've never done that with any of my previous pistols ( LP50, LP400) all full length; then again, none off them were electronic triggers. I felt I had more connection with the break on my Walther. My EVO e is still standard other than I had to increase the trigger pull weight as it was too light out of the box when tested at my club.
That's odd... BOTH my EVO-10's (the original Compact and now the Regular) had trigger pull weights quite a bit over 500 gr and had to be lightened up.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Mine was almost perfect. Just a hair under 18 ounces.

Chip
BEA

Post by BEA »

I have no experience with the Evo but feel sure it is a fine AP. I did own a LP10 for a while and liked it. The spring actuated recoil reducer seemed to need tweeking every now and then. I could feel the recoil change a little every now and then which prompted me to take the bolt out and check the adjustment. I did not like that, messing with the little parts. I tried it with the reducer removed and it shot fine, with a similar feeling to the Morini and my Walther CPM1...no objection there. IMO, this is where the Pardini K12 has an advantage in the the recoil absorber is air actuated, which I think would be more consistant. I have owned a K12 as well and it is a very nice AP indeed. I found it to be very accurate and I really liked the simplicity of the trigger mechanism. I hear that the Evo has more adjustable features than the LP 10, which I do not necessarily consider a good thing, especially for less experienced shooters. Inexperienced shooters may not know how to apply extra adjustments prompting them to fiddle with the gun too much looking for a cure for lower scores than desired. Experienced shooters might be more in tune with the true importance of these adjustments. This is where I see the Morini having an advantage...there are fewer things to fiddle with. Steyr was riding high for many years, dominating the AP market, just like FWB used to when I started shooting. I guess they may still dominate but the competition has definitely made their presence known again. Steyr's solution seems to be to bring out a new model that is more complicated. Have they had to lower their prices yet due to the competition? I have not checked, but I doubt they making the money on them they once were. At one time they were quite a bit more expensive than the Morini. It seems Morini has enjoyed a bit of a resurgence thanks to their employ of a top shooter, which is a good thing as it is a top flight AP. Either Morini has not seen any advantage of making their pistol more complicated in order to attract new buyers, or their design genius left when Mr Morini walked out the door. Their old design has led many to believe they are not as capable, which is incorrect. Anyway, I find it sort of funny when I read about shooters claiming one AP is better than the other. All the top brands are just as capable as the other. It is just a matter of personal taste but for me, simplicity is a good thing.
Last edited by BEA on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Interesting and fair point made about the stabilizer on the last post. It seems I was wrong about my set up, I have shortened the sight line (not as short as it will go) and I realised I have the trigger shoe on it from my LG110 HFT. I've put the original one back on now and did a quick practice with 40 shots which were good, nice and tight. Looking forward to a decent session later this week and see how it goes, certainly felt nice and I've not looked at a Walther all day!
hundert

Post by hundert »

@BEA

wait, how did you disable the absorber? You removed the whole cylinder with three little springs and one big spring completely? I'd love to disable it too.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

You disable the absorber by selling the Evo 10 and buying a Morini 162EI. :-)
Image Image
BEA

Post by BEA »

I removed the stabilizer just for a few shots, maybe 5, just so I could see how much difference it would make. I borrowed a friend's 162ei Titanium one time and shot it side by side with my LP 10. The Morini grips were unaltered so did not fit me perfectly, but I quickly found I shot it as well as the LP10. The Morini has a superb trigger, as did my FWB 2, Steyr CO2, Walther CPM1, LP 10 and Pardini. I shot all of them equally well and have nothing bad to say about any of them. I moved from one model to the next not out of dissatisfaction but simply due to opportunity.

Yes, I removed all the stabilizer parts you mentioned. Before doing this long term, I would check and make sure there are no issues.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You don't say!
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Well after an evening down the range I'm pretty pleased with the results. Wasn't as tight as I'd hoped initially, but I played around with the grip a lot and I think I've found a position which tightened up the group. I'll experiment further next time (but only by a fraction now) but ended up shooting 544 in my comp cards for rd 6 tonight, that's a PB and up on my previous 541 in rds 2 and 3.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

bootneckbob wrote:Well after an evening down the range I'm pretty pleased with the results. Wasn't as tight as I'd hoped initially, but I played around with the grip a lot and I think I've found a position which tightened up the group. I'll experiment further next time (but only by a fraction now) but ended up shooting 544 in my comp cards for rd 6 tonight, that's a PB and up on my previous 541 in rds 2 and 3.
544 is pretty darn good! I DREAM of one day shooting that well! For some reason I seem to be stuck at about 517. SIGH
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

kevinweiho wrote:I'll give credit to the Morini 162, it's the grandfather to all the modern day match pcp air pistols and is still kicking ass till this day.
Sold my LP-10 here and bought a 162ei from Scott and couldn't be happier. However if I win the lottery I'll be sure and try out an EVO too as its a damn sexy looking pistol.