Why Do So Many Dislike the Evo 10?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Re: Why Do So Many Dislike the Evo 10?

Post by David Levene »

Have we ever found out why the OP thought so many didn't like the Evo 10?

I haven't seen anything to support that. A few maybe, but you get that with any gun.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Mtl Biker
Thanks for your comment. I made the jump from the 520 mark to the 540 very quickly by buying shoes and glasses and a bit of dry firing practice; this is why I bought the Evo e. I thought I shot better with the Walther but I only shot it for 6 months so never had it long enough to really see the average go up.
Do the shoes and glasses make you shoot better, who knows but I do find it easier to shoot with the iris than not and it means I'm able to control the light to my eye so I think it does help.

As to the Ops question, well the Evo is just an evolution of the LP10 isnt it. Nothing revolutionary, just evolutionary. So if I were going to buy the LP10 (as I was) why wouldn't I buy the Evo??

There's another guy at the club I use with an Evo compact and he loves it. There also a few LP10s and 50s (sshhh) and a couple of Walthers too. I friend of mine from my last club bought a Morini but he's not getting on well with it so I hear so I expect he'll be back with his Walther again soon.

So I think some people will change or buy the pistol based on looks and engineering, and some to a tight budget. But I don't know anyone who dislikes the Evo at all.
hundert

Post by hundert »

shhh because the 50s are illegal now lol
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Sigh. Yet another sport where I have to be jealous of everyone getting to try different guns. No fun being a lefty in golf, guitars, or guns.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

bootneckbob wrote:Mtl Biker
Thanks for your comment. I made the jump from the 520 mark to the 540 very quickly by buying shoes and glasses and a bit of dry firing practice; this is why I bought the Evo e. I thought I shot better with the Walther but I only shot it for 6 months so never had it long enough to really see the average go up.
Do the shoes and glasses make you shoot better, who knows but I do find it easier to shoot with the iris than not and it means I'm able to control the light to my eye so I think it does help.

As to the Ops question, well the Evo is just an evolution of the LP10 isnt it. Nothing revolutionary, just evolutionary. So if I were going to buy the LP10 (as I was) why wouldn't I buy the Evo??

There's another guy at the club I use with an Evo compact and he loves it. There also a few LP10s and 50s (sshhh) and a couple of Walthers too. I friend of mine from my last club bought a Morini but he's not getting on well with it so I hear so I expect he'll be back with his Walther again soon.

So I think some people will change or buy the pistol based on looks and engineering, and some to a tight budget. But I don't know anyone who dislikes the Evo at all.
I too was going to buy an LP-10 but then found I couldn't get one because it had been replaced by the EVO-10. And I don't regret it for a moment! My first EVO was the Compact, but after six months of shooting it, I changed to the full length version and sold the compact.

I haven't paid much (really not any) attention to shoes. Sometimes I even shoot barefoot (in my home range) and I've used boat shoes to hiking boots, and have never noticed anything that I could say was shoe related in my results. As long as I had a solid foot position, well planted, I thought it was fine. What's so special about shooting shoes, and could there possibly also be shooting shoes for pistol shooting and different ones for rifle? :)

Anyway, about the shooting glasses and iris... I have what everyone says is a tremendous disadvantage and handicap... I'm strongly right-handed (and that's NOT going to change at my age) but left eye dominant. When shooting rifle, I manage to shoot with my right eye with my regular progressive eye glasses and with a blinder in place for my left. But I really cannot do that with pistol. So I DO have a set of shooting glasses for pistol, with my correct (for the distance of my front sight) prescription in the LEFT lens and a blinder for my right eye. So I shoot pistol right-handed, yet aim with my left eye. Many folks have told me that because of this I'll never make an Olympic team. :) Seriously, they say I'll never manage really good scores. But you know what? I enjoy the shooting just the same, even if I'd only shoot 500 I'd still enjoy it. Shooting relaxes me, physically and especially mentally, regardless of my score.

Cheers!
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

I know what you mean about relaxing. On the way to the range last night I was thinking about work (something that was annoying me) I knew I'd have to put it out of my mind or ruin the shoot but I needn't have worried. Once I was at the range it was gone; I only remembered it whilst driving home! That's fine though, zone out and shoot; shooting well is a bonus ;-)

To answer your question on pistol shoes, yes they are different to rifle shoes (boots) and you cannot wear the boots for rifle (or ankle support I guess in competition) when shooting pistol.

As there are a few Evo shooters reading this did you get the black spacer in the pistol grip? I had one in my LP50 but not in my Evo.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

bootneckbob wrote:I know what you mean about relaxing. On the way to the range last night I was thinking about work (something that was annoying me) I knew I'd have to put it out of my mind or ruin the shoot but I needn't have worried. Once I was at the range it was gone; I only remembered it whilst driving home! That's fine though, zone out and shoot; shooting well is a bonus ;-)

To answer your question on pistol shoes, yes they are different to rifle shoes (boots) and you cannot wear the boots for rifle (or ankle support I guess in competition) when shooting pistol.

As there are a few Evo shooters reading this did you get the black spacer in the pistol grip? I had one in my LP50 but not in my Evo.
Really? I was joking, not really believing that there might be different shoes for pistol shooting than for rifle.

Yes, I did get the spacer in the grip. On both this new full-length and my compact EVO-10. But about the grips... I had a medium right-hand grip on my compact and really liked it. When I went to pick up my full-length model, Cibles Canada Targets showed me two EVO-10's and asked me which grip I preferred. Both were medium right-hand, but both were different from the one I'd had on the compact model. They said that the reason for the long shipment delays from Steyr were due to them having a very hard time sourcing grips. And we know for sure that there are at least three different medium right-hand grips out there, and they all feel quite different.

You say you don't have the spacer... what size is your grip? Maybe that makes a difference?
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
hundert

Post by hundert »

Roberto Di Donna who won Olympics in 10m air pistol in 1996 shoots right hand left eye, google his name for pictures

regarding spacer, the LP10E does not have the plastic spacer inside the grip like the LP10 does. It's probably the same for EVO
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

The Evo 10 mechanical version definitely should have the spacer inside the grip, the frame is the same as on the LP10.

For grips, there is a long finger version available for the S and L sizes right hand.

Another successful right hand left eye shooter is Andrea Amore. Winner World Cup Final Munich 2013
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Silvershooter wrote:Another successful right hand left eye shooter is Andrea Amore. Winner World Cup Final Munich 2013
One of the most successful right hand left eye shooters in recent years is Antoaneta Boneva.

Just looking at World Cups in the last 3 years she's got 4 Gold, 2 Silver and 3 Bronze medals.

Cross-eyed shooting is quite simple for her as, like many women, her elbow hyper-extends so her right forearm is in line with her left eye.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Thanks for all the info on grips, very useful. Mine is a large right hand Evo e so it would seem I'm not missing anything.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Hundert, Silvershooter and David,

Thank you for pointing out those right-handed left-eyed shooters. But darn it!!!!! There goes my excuse for not shooting as well as others!

:)
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22