Walther SSP "special grease"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
metman

Walther SSP "special grease"

Post by metman »

I have an SSP that I clean and service regularly according to the on-line manuals from Walther. There is a tube of grease labelled "Spezialfett" (= German "special grease") that is used to lubricate the plungers. I'm wondering what its composition is: silicone? teflon?....
One reason I ask is that I misplaced the tube and couldn't find it, and re-ordering would take some time. I'd like to have a compatible, readily-available back-up source if possible.
Rover

Re: Walther SSP "special grease"

Post by Rover »

I hear the Crosman PellGun oil is pretty good. Available at Walmart and other places.

Also, Beeman Chamber Lube.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Does the Walther special grease have a white yellow color appearance? You can substitute it with FWB special grease. If the color is silver black, then it's a moly based grease.
Heddok

Post by Heddok »

I bought an SSP-E a few months ago here in Canada. Didn't come with the "Special Grease". The only reason I can see for anything special on the two rods is something that doesn't erode the O-rings on the motion control apertures.
So I've been using a silicon grease that's safe for nitrile O-rings. I'm not getting any weird wear patterns on the rods or any malfunctions.

I'm curious to know what the composition is too.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Sorry, I thought you meant a Walther ssp.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

One reason I ask is that I misplaced the tube and couldn't find it, and re-ordering would take some time. I'd like to have a compatible, readily-available back-up source if possible.

It is the same grease you can buy at a dive shop, except Walther and FWB sell it in minuscule tubes that is more expensive than gold by weight.

Buy the silicone from the the dive shop. I owned a Walther SSP and had no problems using the less expensive product.
metman

Post by metman »

deadeyedick wrote:

It is the same grease you can buy at a dive shop, except Walther and FWB sell it in minuscule tubes that is more expensive than gold by weight.

Buy the silicone from the the dive shop. I owned a Walther SSP and had no problems using the less expensive product.
Thanks much, this is what I needed to know. There are instructions available online (not the same as the owners manual) which show how to apply the grease to the pistons. So I would rather use lubricant than operate without it.
Crete

Post by Crete »

If it is white, it is probably lithium grease.
divingin

Post by divingin »

Crete wrote:If it is white, it is probably lithium grease.
Probably not, if intended for O-rings.

White is likely a teflon-bearing synthetic grease. Standard Buna O-rings don't do well with petroleum products. Certain oils also deteriorate silicone O-rings (usually causing swelling and softening.)

Don't know what came with OP's gun, but it's likely a thinnish silicone grease.

jky
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I think this is a special grease just for the o-ring on the piston. My ssp-e from 2014 dont have these o-rings there, so i dont use the grease...hope im doing it right!?
Walther SSP-E
Steyr LP10
K31
K11
clarky

Post by clarky »

What ever you do don't use Silicone grease on aluminum....it galls.
Silicone grease will also eat into finish if you get it on the outside of the gun. Nasty stuff.
Pellgun oil is perfect for the seals. Is just a basic machine oil but with no additive nasties.
Crosman added something to what is basically none detergent/none additive motor oil....so its safe
Never did find out what they added.