TargetTalk

A forum to talk about Olympic style shooting, rifle or pistol, 10 meters to 50 meters, and whatever is in between. Hosted by Pilkguns.com
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:34 pm 

I have an SSP that I clean and service regularly according to the on-line manuals from Walther. There is a tube of grease labelled "Spezialfett" (= German "special grease") that is used to lubricate the plungers. I'm wondering what its composition is: silicone? teflon?....
One reason I ask is that I misplaced the tube and couldn't find it, and re-ordering would take some time. I'd like to have a compatible, readily-available back-up source if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:31 pm 

I hear the Crosman PellGun oil is pretty good. Available at Walmart and other places.

Also, Beeman Chamber Lube.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:53 am 

Does the Walther special grease have a white yellow color appearance? You can substitute it with FWB special grease. If the color is silver black, then it's a moly based grease.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:47 pm 

I bought an SSP-E a few months ago here in Canada. Didn't come with the "Special Grease". The only reason I can see for anything special on the two rods is something that doesn't erode the O-rings on the motion control apertures.
So I've been using a silicon grease that's safe for nitrile O-rings. I'm not getting any weird wear patterns on the rods or any malfunctions.

I'm curious to know what the composition is too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:52 pm 

Sorry, I thought you meant a Walther ssp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:56 am 

Quote:
One reason I ask is that I misplaced the tube and couldn't find it, and re-ordering would take some time. I'd like to have a compatible, readily-available back-up source if possible.

It is the same grease you can buy at a dive shop, except Walther and FWB sell it in minuscule tubes that is more expensive than gold by weight.

Buy the silicone from the the dive shop. I owned a Walther SSP and had no problems using the less expensive product.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:44 am 

deadeyedick wrote:
Quote:

It is the same grease you can buy at a dive shop, except Walther and FWB sell it in minuscule tubes that is more expensive than gold by weight.

Buy the silicone from the the dive shop. I owned a Walther SSP and had no problems using the less expensive product.

Thanks much, this is what I needed to know. There are instructions available online (not the same as the owners manual) which show how to apply the grease to the pistons. So I would rather use lubricant than operate without it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:30 pm 

If it is white, it is probably lithium grease.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:31 am 

Crete wrote:
If it is white, it is probably lithium grease.

Probably not, if intended for O-rings.

White is likely a teflon-bearing synthetic grease. Standard Buna O-rings don't do well with petroleum products. Certain oils also deteriorate silicone O-rings (usually causing swelling and softening.)

Don't know what came with OP's gun, but it's likely a thinnish silicone grease.

jky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:39 am 

I think this is a special grease just for the o-ring on the piston. My ssp-e from 2014 dont have these o-rings there, so i dont use the grease...hope im doing it right!?

K11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:01 am 

What ever you do don't use Silicone grease on aluminum....it galls.
Silicone grease will also eat into finish if you get it on the outside of the gun. Nasty stuff.
Pellgun oil is perfect for the seals. Is just a basic machine oil but with no additive nasties.
Crosman added something to what is basically none detergent/none additive motor oil....so its safe
Never did find out what they added.