Steyr grips: waxed?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

Steyr grips: waxed?

Post by Houngan »

Working on my grip, I tried to apply some skateboard tape, which is pretry sticky stuff. To my chagrin, it wouldn't hold on the Steyr grip at all. I cleaned the grip with detergent in case it was hand oil, but no love. Anyone have any information around this topic?
hundert

Re: Steyr grips: waxed?

Post by hundert »

all grips are oiled,
never use wax on wood.

Rink uses Scherell's Schaftol, there are other companies, Danish Oil, Tung Oil, lineseed oil, basically any oil which dries ((use oils that don't have any color added to them))

Grips should be reoiled every few years, when wood starts looking light colored and dry
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

wax or oil, both are unsuitable, grip surface can not slide, try the fast grip
Attachments
FAGR.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

I use a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpintine to oil my grips.
New wood grips 4-5 coats, allowing each coat to dry and the grip
polished with a soft cloth.
Old grips get a annual coat of oil and a polish.
The linseed oil gives good grip in hot weather with sweaty hands.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

I found some tennis racket tape and used that, works extremely well. Any rules issues with taping up a grip? No ridges created, just a single layer of tape wrapped around.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

The tennis tape can be a good solution, if you still retain the same adhesion for longer time. The rules certainly allow the tape on the surface of the grip. There are the limited shape & width of the grip only.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Although a soft wax would get caught in the stippled surface of Steyr (Well, Morini) grips, it's just fine for wood. A go-to finish for woodworkers since.....forever. Unless you glob it on it's not going to get slippery, and remember your hands eventually coat the grip in oil anyway. That's why grips of wood Anschutz stocks are always polished, the oil is constantly being applied and buffed.

I did notice my Steyr grips to feel slightly oiled when I received it almost new.
hundert

Post by hundert »

guys, use oil,

wax blocks the pores and because of that the wood (1) can't be reoiled (2) won't absorb and release sweat, a recipe for disaster.

Use any wood oil. However it takes weeks for the oil to cure (even if the label says a few days). The wood will then sweat oil for a couple of weeks, keep it in paper towels so it doesn't stain your case, if you shoot it while it's curing

I use "Scherell's schaftol", there are other companies. Type "Scherell's schaftol" in youtube and look at the vids on how to do that.

Never use wax, color, lacquer, wood stain any of that crap on wood, it will only damage it. The reason the grips look so dark is because they're oiled. Untreated wood looks very light colored like this http://www.sustainlife.org/blogs/woodwo ... finish.jpg
Last edited by hundert on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

pbrejsa wrote:The tennis tape can be a good solution, if you still retain the same adhesion for longer time. The rules certainly allow the tape on the surface of the grip. There are the limited shape & width of the grip only.
Would there be any issue with the tape being stretched above the surface of grip, down by the palm shelf?